Taxi from LaGuardia to NY Hilton @ 54th

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taxi from LaGuardia to NY Hilton @ 54th

Just checking to see how long in time & the amount of cash would be involved, for a family of 4. thanks john
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 07:11 PM

You will not fit four people into a NYC taxi unless you get one of the few vans.

Try a car service as we New Yorkers do. Here's one: http://www.dial7.com/rates.html
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 03:58 AM

The amount of time depends on time of day/day of week. Without a lot of traffic the trip can be 30 mins. With lots of traffic a bit over an hour. It can be anywhere from $25-40, again depending on traffic since it will be on the meter.

Unless you have a lot of luggage, I don't think it's necessary to book a car service which may force you to order a van which will be more money. If you get on the official taxi line (do NOT accept a ride from anyone) and one of your party goes to the front and alerts the dispatcher you need a larger vehicle, you should be ok.

If you're arriving during rush hour, you might prefer to have a fixed rate from a car service.
limores.net
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 04:11 AM

Aileron's information is incorrect. A NYC cab can indeed accommodate four people.
mclaurie's information, on the other hand, is right one!
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 05:34 AM
GoTravel

We have fit four people and their luggage in a NYC cab on many occaisions.

Depending upon traffic, plan on around 20 minutes and $30.

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:18 AM

All NYC taxis fir 4 people. One sits in front with the driver. And assuming normal luggage you should be fine. If you have steamer trunks you may want to call a car service instead.

Assuming normal traffic it should be about $30 plus tip and toll (if they take a tool bridge or tunnel). If there's tons of traffic (rush hour on a grtidlock alert day) and/or bad weather and/or accident it could be $40 or even $45 (but this would be rare)
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:31 AM

Howard,

The OP said "family of four," which I presume means four people PLUS the driver will have to fit in the cab.

Please tell me how you envision the seating for five people, assuming the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law as well as the New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission regulations are not broken.

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:45 AM

Three people can't sit in the back seat? I thought that was a regular thing.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:50 AM

I agree, 3 sit in back and 1 is up front with the driver. We do this all the time with no problem. Four IS the maximum number of passengers allowed, though.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:50 AM

Aileron, the four-people limit refers to the number of passengers! So, the actual legal capacity in NYC is five, including the driver! Get it?
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, I think we (2-adults & 2 12yr old boys) are going to give the taxi a try. We are only taking 2-3 pc of luggage being that the Hilton is charging us $3.50 per pc to hold til check in time. Again thanks
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 05:06 PM
GoTravel

Here ya go Aileron:

From http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/pas...faq_pass.shtml

• How many people can fit into a yellow taxicab?

From Driver Rule 2-43a (in PDF):
The maximum amount of passengers allowed in a yellow taxicab by law is FIVE people including the driver. An additional passenger must be accepted if such passenger is under the age of seven (7) and is held on the lap of an adult passenger seated in the rear.

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 08:48 PM

Let me amend my comments. New York City taxicabs are notoriously cramped. Given the choice of a yellow cab and a Town Car, I'll go with the latter any time.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 05:13 AM

Huh? While we're at why not just rent a stretch limo as that will be even more comfortable?
Maybe there is an issue of price and convenience? If so, a 20 minute ride in a "cramped" taxi still might be the best bet.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 09:22 AM

New York taxis are full size cars and there's no "cramping" involved unless some of the passengers are very large.

And to me calling and waiting for a sedan from a car service (which likely isn;t new and may not be any tidier than the cab) is simply an aggravation and a waste of time.

If you want a sedan from a corporate type car service it will cost MUCH more than either a cab or a car service from the usual suspects (Carmel, Tel Aviv etc) which are priced to match the cab.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 09:46 AM

NYC cabs are "notoriously cramped"? That's news to me. I've taken cabs in just about every major US city, and have I haven't found New York cabs to be shortchanged on size.
Hey, Aileron, can't you just admit that you were wrong about the law?
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 11:52 AM

go with Carmel car service. It's about $45 for a town car. You will not smell: smoke, urine, vomit, body odor, food smells from the driver's lunch.

I started using the car service because of severe motion sickness. The taxi ride to/from airport to manhattan or vice versa made me incredibly ill and the odors made it worse. The car service eliminates most of this.

It is worth every penny!

BTW, shame on the Hilton for charging you to store your luggage! Can you change your reservation?
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 11:55 AM

forgot to say: you can reserve a Carmel car on the net before you go and use your credit card. You can book both ways and you'll even get a coupon to use for this trip. They will be right there waiting for you.

With a taxi you have to pay the $4(?) toll in addition to your fare, but it may be included in the Carmel fee. Can't remember.