Manhattan with 14-year-old Daughter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprising my daughter with a first trip to NYC (as I posted in a previous post re Broadway shows suitable) and am as excited as anything!

We'll be there for the first week in August.

What would be some must-sees with a 14-year-old smart kid, interested in many things - art, architecture, music, cool/funky stores including food/candy stores?

Are there any movie-set type places available to see?

Thanks!
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 09:35 AM

I love Greenwich Village area, get brunch at Tartine in West Village and then just walk around exploring. Full of funky shops and i like the architecture there too- makes you want to own a roof-top loft. There is a great pizza place there called Keste which we really enjoyed.

Also there is a cool burger joint (called burger joint!) in a secret back room in the meridian hotel.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaur..._New_York.html

near central park which we enjoyed after strolling the 5th avenue stores
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 09:38 AM

also one of these tours always appealed to me, not made it yet but still seems to be getting excellent reviews

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attract..._New_York.html
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 09:43 AM

>>

We had dinner at Keste last week - loved it. Followed up with gelato at Grom, which was excellent, too!
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 09:47 AM

sf haha, yeah i had one with a truffle base rather than tomato which was super yummy, and we found it friendly too
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - what are must-see sites and museums?
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 10:02 AM

Definitely do a search on this forum as there are plenty of threads with ideas of what to do in NYC in general, with kids, etc. ...

If you and your daughter want to do any shopping, this thread might interest you:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...r-old-girl.cfm

This one might help with the movie-type request:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...s-in-nyc.cfm?6

The most well known candy store is Dylan's. There's also Economy Candy on the Lower East Side - a totally different vibe!

Also take a look a the Fodors Destinations on this site. I've noticed that they have some really good ideas recently.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ggreen and all! Great suggestions.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 11:13 AM

The Lower East Side Tenement Museum is wonderful: www.tenement.org

My DD is 24, and we really enjoyed a food and walking tour:
www.foodsofny.com We did their "original" tour which is Greenwich Village, but I think I would have enjoyed any of them.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 12:19 PM

Don't miss a walk on the High Line. We've done the whole thing ourselves, but recently did just a short section with our DD (25) and she loved it as much as we do.

Hang out in Washington Square in Greenwich Village on a nice evening.

Stroll through Bryant Park, and visit the main reading room at the New York Public Library (adjacent to Bryant Park).

Walk through Grand Central Station.

Eat a pastrami sandwich at Second Avenue Deli.

Spend some time in Central Park.

Walk up or down Fifth Avenue from 59th Street to 42nd Street (take in the Apple Store (if that's out of the ordinary for your DD), Rockefeller Center and St. Patrick's on the way). We actually walked from Rock Ctr to the World Trade Center a couple of weeks ago.

Stroll (and eat) through Eataly and Chelsea Market.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

musicfan, tenement museum sounds really interesting. Which tour did you do there?
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 12:30 PM

We actually did two: Hard Times and Irish Outsiders; both were very good and we had excellent tour guides for each. If you can make the time to view the movie about the museum before your tour, I really recommend it--they show it on a loop in a small theater just off the gift shop/ticketing area.

We also really enjoyed the High Line and Chelsea Market! I keep intending to get started on my Trip Report...hopefully by the end of the week!
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Sf7307, thank you- those are great, calming, non-touristy suggestions - especially the apple store which she would LOVE!

Thanks again musician- definitely will do one of the tours at the Tenement museum.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 06:20 AM

If you visit the Apple cube on 59th and 5th, be sure to peek inside FAO Schwartz behind it. And the windows at Bergdorf Goodman on the west side of 5th between 57th and 58th Streets are always fabulous. Plus Tiffany's is right there, if you've ever watched Breakfast at Tiffany's...

And just to clarify - while the High Line is fun, non-touristy it is not. By its nature, the narrow, elevated structure makes for people density, compounded by everyone wanting to take pictures of the admittedly beautiful views!
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 06:59 AM

We've also done the Irish Outsiders tour at the Tenement Museum and loved it. They tell you the actual story of a family that lived there, and you get to see their historical records and how they probably lived - not easy! Also loved the Greenwich Village food tour - got to sample lots of yummy bites from different restaurants and walk around a beautiful area. I think she would also love going to Serendipity for frozen hot chocolate - it's famous and in a lot of movies and tv shows if she likes that sort of thing.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

wow, volcanogirl, the frozen hot chocolate sounds like right up her alley - she's a hot-chocolate-a-holic! But excuse the ignorance - while she for sure knows what frozen hot chocolate is, I have no clue! What is it?!

ggreen - Your suggestions sound fantastic - my daughter also LOVES shopping, even if just window, as most teen girls do! I will have to find some more reasonably-priced clothing stores for her. Any ideas?
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 10:21 AM

If she loves hot chocolate and can stand having it hot in August, and you walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, try the wicked hot chocolate at Jacques Torres - yum.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

sf7303 - I'm positive she would be able to stand having a hot chocolate in hot August weather - she's literally addicted! What a great suggestion - thanks! I remember reading about a great ice cream place near the Brooklyn Bridge, but I don't remember where I read it - have you any idea of which it is? It's supposed to be famous and one of the best.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 11:36 AM

Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory, I think.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 02:41 PM

t, this is what it looks like. Huge and yummy and covered with whipped cream.

http://www.serendipity3.com/main.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -