Reload this Page >

Tax free shopping in NYC, Summer 2002

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Philip

In order to boost the economy in lower Manhattan, New York is offering tax free shopping on purchases under $500 made below Houston Street (river to river) on June 9-11, July 9-11, August 20-22.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Jen

Sorry, but I think using those dates (9-11) for a commercial promotion is a little bit sick. If it were once, I would've written it off as a coincidence.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 07:58 AM
xxx

Hotels below Canal street are also included, so you can save a nice chunk of change on your hotel bill (the regular sales tax amount 8.25%, not other hotel taxes) if you happen to be coming those days.
Details at
http://www.nyc.gov/html/om/html/2002a/pr137-02.html

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 08:05 AM
please

Jen,

You can't be serious. What if it had been written the 9th through the 11th? There must be some other reason for using those dates, otherwise why would the August dates be so different. I'm not insensitive - I know people who lost friends and colleagues in the WTC. But don't read something into this that just isn't there.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 03:14 PM
nyer

topping, for tax free shopping July 9-11

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 04:14 PM
njgirl

Sorry-I was thought that there was always no tax on purchases under $100-...right?
I don't really keep up since there is never tax on clothing in NJ.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 09:40 AM
suzanne

NJ Girl - There is currrenly no tax in NYC on CLOTHING under $100. However, the July 9th to 11th deal refers to ALL purchases under $500. Including meals.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 09:43 AM
NJGirl

Thanks,Suzanne,
This is so great! Although we usually eat out in the city once or twice a week,and tax has never stopped my shopping this is wonderful for tourists and back to school.Don't you think NY should be like NJ in this instance and just do away with the clothing tax?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Frank

Just guessing that 8/9-8/11 weren't choosen because they fall on Fri, Sat, Sun and there is less need to spur sales on a weekend.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 04:07 PM
suzanne

NJ Girl-
They got rid of the tax on clothing (under $100) in NYC about a year and a half ago. But I guess they figure here that if you can spend over $100 on a single item of clothing, you have enough dough to not really care about the tax!

This new "tax free below Houston St" thing makes me wish I had waited to buy my digital camera, printer, and a bunch of other things I recently bought...J&R Music World downtown already has great prices on electronics, I suspect it's going to be a madhouse for the next few days!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 04:43 PM
njgirl

Brilliant! my husband has been looking online for a digi cam, I will just take him to the city
Thanks again