Tavern on the Green New York City

Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:09 AM
cindy

Tavern on the Green New York City

Does every room dining room at Tavern on the Green have a beautiful view or is the Crystal Room the only dining room with a really great view?
On Christmas Day, Tavern on the Green wants 30.00 more per person to have a table in the Crystal Room!

Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:25 AM
xxx

In my opinion, the only reason to go throught the high-priced but mediocre food at Tavern on the Green is to eat in the Crystal Room, especially at Chistmas. No, the other rooms are generally dark and have no view, but will be decorated for Christmas.
Just add this as one more way for TOTG to rake in more dough.

Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:46 AM
s

The Tavern grounds are worth seeing and can only be seen from the Crystal Room. Is it worth the extra$30 per prerson. I wouldn't pay it. Eat somewhere else and make it a point to walk over to the Tavern to see how vwell it is lit.

Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:59 AM
Anthony

Nearby Picholine, serves FAR superior food, and great, caring service. It's considered one of the top 20 restaurants in Manhattan. Tavern on the Green is NEVER on top restaurant lists, nor is it on any recommended lists.

Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:08 AM
E.

I went to TOTG one fall and had brunch in the Crystal Room, and while the food and service were mediocre, they weren't awful, and the room was fantastically over-the-top, and I'm glad we went. However: $30 per person extra is outrageous, and I think if you paid it you'd be disappointed. Go to TOTG another day, when they're not charging people just to show up.

Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:32 PM
xxx

I felt like we were cattle at TOTG with bad food to go with it. Go see the setting and eat somewhere else.

Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:39 PM
x

Make sure you don't check your coat at Tavern On The Green or it might become a nightmare!

Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:51 PM
x

Go to TOTG, walk around the dining rooms (do it early around 5PM so there are few diners). Enjoy the beauty of it, the leave.

Dec 3rd, 2002, 03:41 PM
Wendy

I am puzzled. How is it possible to go to The Tavern On The Green and just walk around in the restaurant, if you are not having dinner there. I would think that you would be met by someone who would expect you to have dinner there. Do they allow people to wander around and look the place over? Is there a bar there so that you could just go by for a drink and not be forced to order food that is not good???

Dec 3rd, 2002, 03:48 PM
Laura

It is a huge place, and I have wandered around through various halls and rooms several times uninterrupted. They have a gift shop inside, so I'm sure tourists wanting to get a look at the place don't bother them.

Dec 3rd, 2002, 04:01 PM
E.

Trust me: if you wander through TOTG without actually dining there and you have a shred of sensitivity, you will feel embarassed and conspicuous. yes, of course, you'll get away with it, but that doesn't make it any less tacky.

Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:33 PM
xxx

If you are tacky and bold enough to walk around the place without eating dinner there, then I'd suggest you also help yourself to samples from patrons' plates. That way you won't have to buy dinner later.

Dec 4th, 2002, 03:31 AM
w

It is not necessarily the Crystal Room that is the attraction. It is the decorated outdoor dining area. You can stroll through that without having to enter the restaurant. It can be accessed from the park side.

Dec 4th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Flynn

Tavern on the Green in Central Park gets bashed so much yet it is the HIGHEST-GROSSING independently-owned restaurant in the US with annual revenues in excess of $34-million and over half a million visitors a year. IMO, one doesn't go just for the food. The rooms are total glitz and the view of Central Park is beautiful and magical; especially in winter if it snows. It doesn't get any prettier.

It stands to reason the space can get crowded - Tavern has six rooms and can seat over 1500 people in the various rooms. Intimate it's not but it is something to see at least once.

If you don't want to go Christmas Day, see if they will allow you to stop in for a cocktail or go another time.

I agree the food may be better in other restaurants but Tavern has something the others don't - glitz, glamour and a feeling of celebration. That's good enough for me.

Dec 4th, 2002, 11:00 AM
E.

Too right, Flynn. But isn't $30 a head up front a bit nuts? But I agree with you: foodie heaven it's not, but it can be totally magical in a way that strolling past and peering in the windows can't match!

Dec 4th, 2002, 11:05 AM
xxx

Let's see. Eight of us for a dinner. That's $240 extra just for the privilege of eating in the Crystal room and paying their overinflated prices for mediocre food. The atmosphere and view may be nice, but worth an EXTRA $240? You're kidding, right?

Dec 7th, 2002, 07:11 AM
topping for

ttt

Search this Thread