NYC-MTA funpass questions?

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Randy

NYC-MTA funpass questions?

I've searched all over MTA's site.No mention of the funpass.Is it sold from the self-service machines,and is it sold only at select stations?

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 11:14 AM
nyer

Funpass is the name for the one day unlimited rides card. It is $4 and NOT available at token booths(go figure) but is available at all card vending machines (most stations have one or more) and , theoretically, at some stores though I've never seen them. I think some hotels have them for sale for their guests, too

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Alana

In addition to the previous poster, be careful to realize how much you are spending on fun passes for how many days you will be in the city. The weekly unlimited pass costs $17/person and is good for the seven days starting the day you use it. The fun pass expires at midnight of the day you start to use it, not 24 hours later.

Obviously, if you are interested in an unlimited pass for more than 4 days, you will be better off buying the weekly pass.

Have fun!

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 11:45 AM
r-travels

I usually buy ANY pass at the small "Transportation Museum" in Grand Central, in the N-S hallway just to the west of the main station. They also sell these plastic cases to hold the cards in .. I think $2, and you're dealing with a person, rather than machine. Have also purchased them at newstand in the baggage area of LGA terminals.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 02:07 PM
lori

My mom and I just got back from our first trip to NYC. We bought the fun pass every day for our 4 days there. It was great! You get cold walking around, hop on a bus...they are everywhere. And the subways are so easy and safe. Locating them is a little tricky at times, but a few unneccessary trips around the block won't kill you! I would highly recommend getting the pocket sized laminated map that has the subway on one side and the buses on the other. It was a lifesaver. I found it at the visitors center in Time Square (by the McDonalds.)
Hope you have as much fun as we did!

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Philip

The FunPass is good until 3am the day after the first use.

You can buy them in most subway station vending machines. Take $1 bills with you because if you use $5,10, or 20 the change is returned in dollar coins.

For a listing of where you can buy them http://www.mta.info/metrocard/zipmaps.htm

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Anthony

Phillip:
You know, the dollar coins ARE LEGAL TENDER, where you can use them ANYWHERE

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Jen

But they're heavy, and you don't want to carry around 16 of them after paying for a $4 pass with a $20 bill.