Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Tavern on the Green Attire? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/tavern-on-the-green-attire-175046/)

Nyna Mar 19th, 2002 02:29 PM

Tavern on the Green Attire?

Their web site states that there is no dress code. However, I'm wondering if this is really so. Does anyone know if men need a sportscoat or tie? Is simply slacks and a nice shirt ok for women?<BR><BR>Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I hate to lug unnecessary dress clothes. BTW - sorry if this has posted more than once....I keep getting bumped off.<BR><BR>Thanks!

TOTG Mar 19th, 2002 03:12 PM

Dress nicely, jackets for men is good.Don't check your coat if you are in a hurry to get somewhere afterwards, it will be a "nightmare".

why Mar 19th, 2002 03:39 PM

why did you post this stupid question twice?????????

duh Mar 19th, 2002 04:30 PM

Gee, why, if you saw it was posted twice and read it, then you realize that she already explained why it was posted twice. What's YOUR problem?

JBG Mar 19th, 2002 05:02 PM

Jackets are not required, but you will find most men in sports coats. Make a reservation early and request a window table with a view of the park. Food is tourist average but the view is special.

Philip Mar 19th, 2002 05:40 PM

Be prepared for surly maitre d' and waiters. If you don't check your coat, you will get a nasty attitude from the maitre d'.

Curious Mar 19th, 2002 05:46 PM

Or so says Patrick.<BR>Having eaten in TOTG many times, I have not had this experience of surly waiters and slow coat checks.<BR>I would like to know how many people really do have these problems, not repeated stories from friends-I do agree that the food is not the best, but how do they stay in business if they are so unpleasant all the time?

Philip Mar 19th, 2002 06:00 PM

I mention the maitre d' and waiters from my own personal experience. They stay in business because tourists want to eat there and they do a huge business on catered affairs (weddings, business meetings, movie wrap parties, etc.) I agree that the decor there is nice, but that is about it IMO.<BR><BR>If everyone thinks the food is not the best, then why do people keep eating there?

Joan Mar 19th, 2002 06:11 PM

Hi, Just wondering about what is ok for the ladies to wear? I am also planning on trying this place when we are in town.

xxx Mar 19th, 2002 06:14 PM

I've been there for lunch and felt comfortable wearing a sweater set and a nice pair of slacks. The coat line is a nightmare so be prepared.

Nancy Mar 19th, 2002 06:23 PM

This is pretty much a touristy sort of place and you will find folks in every sort of tourist attire imaginable (remember white vinyl shoes with matching belts?). "Casual, but nice" would be just fine. You'll see folks who "dress" for fine dining along with those who can't be bothered or just don't care. You'll "blend" nicely with anything in-between. DO NOT CHECK YOUR COAT.