Tavern on the Green?

Jun 8th, 2000, 11:51 AM
BC

Tavern on the Green?

We will be visiting NYC for a few days later this month. We have been there a few times before, but are going with another couple who have never seen NYC. We have never been to Tavern on the Green--have heard very mixed reviews: that the food is lousy, but also that it is very pretty at night. I know it is a real spot for tourists. Would it be worthwhile to go to? Is it possible to just go for dessert or something if the food is overpriced and not good (or have I heard incorrectly)? Also, I know that it is just inside Central Park. We are staying at 55th & 7th. Would it be possible to walk, or is it better to take a cab at night since it is inside the park. Thanks for any info.

Jun 8th, 2000, 12:06 PM
Dawn

I know I will get grief, but I think its worth a visit. It is a spectacular place. I've been twice in my life, and both times, it was good. Not great, but a definite experience. I've eaten at other restaurants that had no ambieance at all, and it cost the same. Of course, there are other great places to go, but I think its an experience.

Jun 8th, 2000, 12:15 PM
Dawn

Also, check their website, you can the rooms, menus, etc.

Jun 8th, 2000, 12:22 PM
Caitlin

If you're going more for the nighttime in Central Park ambience than thw interior of TOG, consider looking into Park View at the Boathouse, also in Central Park. Lovely ambience, much smaller, and the food has gotten good reviews.

Jun 8th, 2000, 12:32 PM
marilyn

I'll take the grief, too, because I also enjoyed Tavern on the Green. No, the food is not especially good, but it is adequate, and to this midwesterner it felt like a very New York place to be. I think Sunday brunch or lunch, followed by a walk in the Park, is the best.

Jun 8th, 2000, 01:26 PM
howard

One New Yorker's point of view: The food isn't that great; neither is the service, BUT the place is worth seeing....ONCE! And, yes, it does have a certain charm at night. Now, whether it's worth the price...Well, that's up to you!
As for question about safety, the restaurant is right inside the park off Central Park West, so you really aren't in that much of the park. It's about an 11-block walk from your hotel (a little over a half-mile).

Jun 8th, 2000, 03:20 PM
lisa

Very pretty at night, definitely worth one visit. My food (pasta) was lousy, but a couple of my tablemates had good dishes (one fish, one chicken -- yes, we all tasted each others' food). This was several years ago though.

Jun 9th, 2000, 05:40 AM
Dawn

I was in NY around 5 weeks ago with Monica (fellow Fodorite) and we had dinner at Becco in the theatre district. The meal was very expensive. Was it good? yes, was it incredible, no. Was it worth the price? no. Having had lunch and dinner at Tavern on the Green, I felt all in all it was better. Pricewise, just about the same, but with beautiful ambiance.

Jun 9th, 2000, 11:48 AM
BC

Thanks to all of you for your help--we have decided to give it a try. It really does sound like the experience will be worth it. I truly appreciate you taking the time to give your opinions!

Jun 12th, 2000, 02:49 PM
john

had lunch at Tavern on the Green three or four year ago during holiday (xmas).
Crowd control/reservations handling - Poor.
Service - virtually non-existent.
Food - not bad.
Overall experience - been there, done that, won't ever waste the time or money again.

Jun 12th, 2000, 11:13 PM
Anna

Sure, the food at Tavern on the Green is not the best in New York, but I've never had bad food there (I confess, I've been more than once). If you go early (say 7.30), the service does not tend to be too bad either. I think it's worth a try.