Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Tavern on the Green? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/tavern-on-the-green-567359/)

erodriguez Oct 27th, 2005 10:43 AM

Tavern on the Green?

Tavern on the Green for Christmas Eve Dinner or other?

GoTravel Oct 27th, 2005 10:58 AM

Tavern On The Green with provide you with very mediocre food that will cost a fortune but you get to dine in a lovely setting.

Are you looking for quintessential New York? Try '21' Club.

erodriguez Oct 27th, 2005 11:17 AM

ok! i will try 21 Club

I'm really looking for good dinner.. nice decor and christmas ambient, and if they have music.. it will be PERFECT!! ... last christmas we spend in NYC we went to Rainbow Room... and was nice, but not wonderfull food.

Any others suggestions?

bermyguy Oct 27th, 2005 11:29 AM

GoTravel,
would you choose "Upstairs at 21" or the "Bar Room"? Was thinking of going there myself but wasn't sure which was "the" 21 Club.

hdm Oct 27th, 2005 11:33 AM

erodriquez,
Many posters suggested the River Cafe to me and it looks great. As I understand it, it's 'under' the Brooklyn Bridge on the Brooklyn side and has a fabulous view of Manhattan. It's been suggested that we have dinner and then walk back 'home' across the bridge. We're going just after Christmas so I hope the weather will be nice enough to do that. But wherever you go, I'd make a reservation now.

hdm Oct 27th, 2005 11:35 AM

oh, and I meant to say that you're soright about the Rainbow Room! To me, it was the quintessential NY dinner dancing experience but the food was SO bad. Could Tavern on the Green be worse than that? And can you go to TOTG just for a drink? I've never been but it looks so pretty.

nytraveler Oct 27th, 2005 04:33 PM

The only thing TOTG has going for it is the view - which you can get just by walking through the park.

The food is mediocre at best, the prices way too high and the service,, supercilious, pretentions and rude (since they know most patrons are tourists who won;t be back anyway).

If you want something typically New York I would be much more likely to do the River Cafe, Fraunces Tavern or the Sea Grill at Rock Center.

E Oct 27th, 2005 06:44 PM

We had a nice brunch at TOTG, and found the service to be perfectly pleasant. And the food was fine. But it was brunch, for which my standard, at least, is lower than it would be for Xmas Eve dinner. And the room itself--the crystal chandelier room---was charming, as were the views of the Park, but after dark you won't see the park...(that came out sort of Dr. Seuss). Plus, it;s a huge place and packed to the gills--not a serene atmosphere.

So: I wanted to defend TOTG, but I wouldn't choose it for Xmas Eve, either. Best of luck to you!

Scarlett Oct 27th, 2005 06:56 PM

I would have drinks at the TOG just to enjoy the festive setting. But I agree, the food is mediocre at best..and has been for a long time.

After dinner, go watch them skate at Rockefellar Center :)

travelinwifey Oct 27th, 2005 07:01 PM

My dad became violently ill after eating there last may, the prime rib with gravy. But he still enjoyed the evening, believe it or not just because he liked the surroundings so much. Would he go back, no, but he was glad to have experienced it one time.

wantsomesun Oct 27th, 2005 08:18 PM

Having been paid to Christmas Carol at TOTG, I can tell you the place is not very relaxing that night, it's a mad house, and VERY crowded. The food is usually ok and decor is beautiful, but there are lots of nicer places to go in the city.

Union Square Cafe would be my best suggestion, great food and service, don't know about music but will call and ask.

tcapp Oct 28th, 2005 01:43 AM

My son-in-law went to TOTG for a business dinner and was not at all impressed with the food or the service.

TonyL Oct 28th, 2005 01:55 AM

Went to TOTG for dinner with my wife and kids. Even with a reservation we had a long wait for something that was overrated and overpriced. Go somewhere else.

erodriguez Oct 28th, 2005 05:24 AM

I really appreciate all your comments.
THANK YOU!!!

Definitively we are not going to Tavern On the Green for Christmas.

I will reserve at the River Cafe, but I most wait untill November 24th..... and I'm waiting to 21 Club to answer because we are a party of the 10... big party!.

If any of you had another good idea of restaurants for Christmas Eve!! they will be WELCOME!!.

Thanks again,. erodriguez.

erodriguez Oct 28th, 2005 05:48 AM

21 Club it's fully booked for dinner 24th....... please!!!!! other suggestions????

WFT Oct 29th, 2005 05:25 AM

Glad to hear you decided against TOTG. I've had brunch there twice and HATED it. Forced coat check, high prices for bad food and service. I've heard from friends that River City Cafe is wonderful. They have a nice web site.

WFT Oct 29th, 2005 05:33 AM

Oops. River Cafe. No City. http://www.rivercafe.com/

JulieR Oct 30th, 2005 04:02 AM

Went to TOTG just for a drink before dinner on a Thursday night, cover charge of 10.00pp...talked them down to 5.00pp. One round with tip for 6 people was about $75.00, needless to say we only stuck around for one round. Plus the service was slow.

seetheworld Oct 30th, 2005 04:11 AM

I would suggest you call the River Cafe now to check if they even have availability. If you must wait until the end of November to book, you most likely will be out of luck.

Smart move on ditching TOTG!

girlonthego Oct 30th, 2005 04:40 AM

I went to a big Wall Street party at Tavern on the Green in the 80's(when money was no object :) for Wall St) The atmosphere was beautiful, but they catered the food in from somewhere else!! They only rented the building!! Even back then, it had the reputation for horrible food.