Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Tangier Island -- Anyone been there? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/tangier-island-anyone-been-there-894086/)

wayfinder45 Jun 7th, 2011 07:24 PM

Tangier Island -- Anyone been there?

My husband and I (and 8-year-old daughter) are thinking about spending a day or two on Tangier Island in the Chesapeake Bay. We'd take the ferry from Crisfield, MD. The island looks like a great spot for quiet relaxation -- it seems to be a throw back in time! My husband heard that the dialect spoken on the island is the closest to the English folks spoke back when they settled in Jamestown. Sounds interesting, but I'm at a loss for which B&B to choose and whether or not what I've read about biting black flies should be considered a major deterrent or just a minor hassle. I've also heard jelly fish may make spending time at the little beach there less than ideal. Anyone been to Tangier Island recently? Any thoughts on Hilda Crockett's Chesapeake House vs. Shirley's Bay View Inn? We are thinking of visiting in July -- is that biting black fly and jelly fish time?

deladeb Jun 9th, 2011 05:48 AM

Just read your great trip report to Italy. I've been to Tangier in the spring 20 years ago. I enjoyed it. There probably will be jellyfish. I don't know about the flies. usually if there is a breeze it helps minimize bug issues.

wayfinder45 Jun 10th, 2011 12:39 PM

deladeb, thanks for keeping my post company!

Judy Jun 13th, 2011 12:22 PM

We used to do a lot of sailing around Tangier Island, though have no experience staying there. In July, everyone on the boat had their own fly swatter and there were days when there'd be many, many fly bodies in the cockpit.....mostly days without much wind (which, of course, meant we were sitting still) With a breeze, they were not that bad.
Jelly fish can be a problem but you can put tights and a t-shirt on your daughter to minimize the risk of a sting.
It is a beautiful spot....have a great trip!

wayfinder45 Jun 15th, 2011 12:45 PM

Thanks, Judy! Very helpful perspective.

isabel Jun 15th, 2011 04:45 PM

For several years we vacationed in Chincoteaque and once we did a day trip to Tangier Island. We enjoyed it but I'm not sure I'd have wanted to spend a few days there. There wasn't much to do. And we don't require a lot to 'do' - after all Chincoteaque is pretty quiet compared to large beach vacation areas and we were happy with a week there every year for several years. Always went in July or August. But Tangier was really quiet. Enjoyed the boat ride over and back, and felt I'd seen it all in a few hours. I do have a a favorite sweatshirt that I still wear that says "Tangier Island" on it. Where else are you going?

wayfinder45 Jun 19th, 2011 06:52 PM

Thanks, isabel! I do think we're going to arrange this now as a day trip, and maybe combine it with a day or two in Chincoteague. Tilghman Island is another idea. The advantage there is no ferry ride (which I would love, but DH gets seasick very easily, so I'm becoming a bit worried about the long ferry ride to Tangier!).

Judy Jun 20th, 2011 05:45 AM

You could combine Tilghman Island with St. Michaels for a very nice day trip.
Again, it has been a few years since we've been there but they were both quaint....St Michaels is busier and has a great Maritime Museum (if I am remembering correctly.)

bfrac Jun 20th, 2011 06:54 AM

Yes, St. Michaels does have the Maritime Museum. Perhaps spend the night in the area since it is a long distance for a day trip from Chincoteague.