Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Tandoori_Girl: Do you mind if I ask you a few more ??? about Treasure Island ?

Mar 22nd, 2005, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

You definitely seem like you know the area well and I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Due to the reviews and/or lack of availability, I've nixed the hotels I asked about in my previous post. However, I'm now looking into the following. Can you comment on any of these?

- Bungalows Island Retreat (across the street from the beach). They look real nice on the website and on vrbo.com.

- The Twins Apartments (also across from beach).

- Sea Chest (on beach)

-BonAire

Also, we are hoping to take a shuttle from the airport and avoid a car rental. Are there several shops and restaurants in John's Pass that we can walk to?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
Mar 22nd, 2005, 05:40 PM

Sure, BG. Glad to help out. First, the lay of the I-land. At the northern end is John's Pass with lots of shops, restaurants, colorful place. Very touristy. Mid-island is the city of TI, not so touristy, shops, restaurants, bars. I prefer it. At the southern end is Sunset Beach, low-key, laid-back. My favorite part because I have a house there, mostly residential.

The Bon Aire is a locals hang-out. I've spent many a weekend there. But, alas, it's NOT in Treasure Island. It's in St. Pete Beach. A whole nother island south of TI. But it is a great place and so is SPB. It has a tiki bar and a busy pool. Lots of families here. I can't recall if you are looking for a family spot. Or just you and your significant other. Or what. Good-sized apts.

There is a busy road that separates you from the beach at Bungalows, bad! Maybe you can cross under the bridge from Bungalows, that's what you need to find out. And exactly how far a walk is it to the bridge and beach? I knew someone who had a many months rental at Bungalows and liked his apt. but did not like the management. Also, I prefer the southern end of TI, this is on the N. side across from John's Pass.

I know the Sea Chest but haven't been inside. It looks nice from the outside and is in a good location. The Twins Apartments I don't know at all.

Another budget place that is popular with the low-rents (haha) is the Sands. You might have to call information for the number, they don't advertise. It is the sister property of the Surf, which was the cornerstone mid-century modern hotel knocked down awhile back, angering preservationists. I've not stayed at the Sands but the Surf was on the funky side with a great pool.

Once I checked out the Bayside Inn, I think it was called. It was nice and cheap, and on the bay side but a good location in the middle of TI. There is a cross walk there.

Keep in mind that the beach shuttle runs at least $25 each way per person from the airport, maybe more. Would it be cheaper for a rental? You won't have to pay for parking at any of these beach locations. How many days are you staying? There is a trolley that runs along the beach. A bus, actually. I think you can get a pass for $3/day, it goes from Clearwater to SPBeach.

I hope this is helpful. Bring on any questions. Joan can also be very helpful on TI.
Mar 22nd, 2005, 06:05 PM

I checked out the Twins through their web site. They are also close to the bridge at John's Pass but on the Gulf side and this is a very nice area of TI, it's called Sunshine Beach. There's a lot of boat traffic and car traffic on the John's Pass real close to the Twins, so you should think about if you're ok with that. The pool looks nice. You can walk to lots of restaurants and shopping -- the good thing about that location. But the grocery store is on the other side of TI. I can see you on that trolley with groceries and your swimsuit, tehehe.

Dockside Dave's restaurant in Madiera across the John's Pass bridge has great blackened grouper. And onion rings.
Mar 22nd, 2005, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, TG!!! I have a few more hotels to cross off my list. I definitely don't want to dodge cars to get to the beach. I'll call the Bon Aire tomorrow to see if they have anything available.

I must be naive....I booked my trip for early May thinking the tourists and snowbirds would have headed back home and hotels would be readily available and at much lower rates than in March or April!

I did book a condo at the Island Inn Resort in TI (just to be safe), although it's quite a bit more than I was hoping to pay for a quick, inexpensive getaway. Oh well.

I was thinking about skipping a rental car this trip because it's a short one (Wed. to Sun.) and don't plan on any sightseeing. My husband just wants to sit in a beach chair and unwind for a few days. The thought of just hopping into a shuttle instead of standing in line for a rental sounded good, but I guess I'll have to re-think that idea as well.

One more question, and I'll quit bugging you....is the Island Inn Resort close to stores and shops, AND is the Bon Air on SPB close to stoes and shops?

Thanks TG. I really appreciate it.
Mar 23rd, 2005, 04:24 AM
cd

I'm not TG but I can share some info on the Island Inn. One thing that we liked about it is that it is just a few minutes walk to a beach restaurant (can never remember of name!) Anyway, you can have a great grouper sandwich inside or outside. They have tons of beach chairs and you could even put one in the surf if you like. We always took walks on Sunset Beach and stopped there for a beer on the way back to our condo.
I would suggest a car and then you can shop at Joan's fresh seafood market/restaurant "Mid-Peninsula" and cook it up in that fully equiped kitchen Also, John's Pass is just a few minutes drive away and a great place to hang around for a few hours.
Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:06 AM

cd is really the word on Island Inn Resort because she's stayed there. The restaurant is Caddy's. There's lots of construction right now on Sunset Beach but that wouldn't affect you. Either location, Island Inn or the Bonaire will put you in areas where you can walk to get what you need with plenty of shops. SPB is more overbuilt and walking is less friendly on that busy road. The trolley is handy but Florida is very car-oriented so do your math and book a car if rates are low.

Also check VRBO.com or GulfCoastRentals.com. A weekly rate at the one-bedroom Sunset Chateau condos might be as affordable as a hotel, they're a short walk to Caddy's.

I'm heading to TI (I live in Tampa) by week's end so if you have any other places I can check the location. I'll drive past the Twins and see how bad the traffic is. And I'll see what else looks good and let you know.

The Delacado on Sunset Beach (bayside) is nice, only a short walk to the beach, but you will need to rent bicycles to get to shops or restaurants. There's a bike shop in downtown SPBeach.
Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Tandoori_Girl and CD: THANK YOU!

Right now I have a "good dilemma!" I have reservations at the Island Inn, but just received an e-mail from the Bon-Aire that they have availability for my dates ($100 less for my 4 day stay than Island Inn).

I'm guessing that the Island Inn is a more laid back, more quiet place and that the Bon-Aire is a bit "busier?" Having a beach bar and all....But I like the fact that the Island Inn offers beach chairs. I think they balance each other out - moneywise.

I will bring my husband up to date on both places and let him choose.

And I guess a rental car is in order.

Thanks again to both of you!

Now if either one of you has an overwhelming desire to visit Buffalo (wink, wink), just let me know!

Mar 24th, 2005, 04:22 AM
cd

BuffaloGirl: Just to clarify. The Island Inn has beach chairs around the pool but I never saw anyone take them down to the ocean. However the beach restaurant a few minutes walk away has many beach chairs for people to use where ever they want and people do take them to the water's edge. You'll have fun no matter where you decide to end up!
Mar 24th, 2005, 05:04 AM

BG, this is not a bad dilemma you're in. My oh my. Which of two good spots to choose!

Hmmm. Beach chairs. There are many spots on the beach where you can rent beach cabanas which come with two chairs each. These cozy little spots usually run about $20 for a full day.

If you were at the Bonaire, you could go down to the Don Ce Sar and use their chairs. I think theirs are complimentary, which could be a problem. They might turn you away, esp. now in this busy time. I know there are cabanas to rent further north of the Island Inn but it could be a trek. Remember you can always get your own fold-out chair at grocery store, drug store, etc. They run about $15-20. Grab a cheap umbrella while you're at it to keep from burning.

Either location is good. I prefer Treasure Island to SPB, although I love SPB's quaint little downtown. But both have what you're looking for. More island atmosphere at Island Inn.
Mar 24th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

CD and Tandoori_Girl: the winner is........... The Island Inn!!!!

I already have reservations there, and the fact that we'll have an ocean front private balcony is worth a few extra dollars. CD mentioned in another post that you can listen to the ocean from your room at night - I love that. And Tandoori's comment about the Island Inn having more of an island atmosphere sold me!

My husband really needs to get away and relax and this sounds perfect. Thanks, again for all your help CD and TG! We're not going until May 4th, but I'll be sure to let you know how it went.
Mar 24th, 2005, 01:01 PM
cd

BuffaloGirl
Yeaaaaaa! I am so jealous! we were there a month last year and sure wish we could go a month this year. Have a wonderful trip and let us know how it went!!!
Feb 5th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Topping for plmrod.....