Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Tampa to Bradenton (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/tampa-to-bradenton-386412/)

LisaE Jan 12th, 2004 10:52 AM

Tampa to Bradenton

Does anyone know how long the drive is from Tampa to Bradenton? We will fly intoTampa & probably stay there but we need to be in Bradenton by 10:00 am on a Saturday on Feb.

Wednesday Jan 12th, 2004 11:00 AM

Hi Lisa,
depending on exacty where you are going it should be right around 50 min-1 hour give or take..it doesn't seem that far, but with traffic etc. you never know...I wouldn't think it would be heavy on a Saturday morning..

help Jan 12th, 2004 11:09 AM

it depends on WHERE in Tampa and Where in Bradenton and which exit....if it's Anna Maria or that area there would be a ton of lights..

AAFrequentFlyer Jan 12th, 2004 11:36 AM

No more than 1 hour from Tampa International to just about anywhere in Brandenton.

LN Jan 12th, 2004 12:16 PM

I fly into Tampa and then head out of the airport to just outside Bradenton. It's never taken me more than an hour.

Tandoori_Girl Jan 12th, 2004 01:38 PM

There are two ways to go, but I'm sure the quickest way on a Saturday morning will be to take I-75 which goes through Brandon, not I-275 which goes through St. Petersburg. Traffic can be heavy during the winter tourist months but I'd imagine that if you left by 9A you would surely be in Bradenton within the hour.

Drive safely.

OliveOyl Jan 12th, 2004 02:12 PM

We live practically in the airport and virtually always take 275 when we go down, not 75. :) To take 75 entails either taking 275 (it says north, but it's actually going east at this point) toward I-4 where you pick up 75 south, which can be hellish any time with people heading to Orlando for the day or weekend, or taking the Crosstown Xway, which is a hassle to get to from the airport. There is no direct way to do it.

I-275 south on the other hand, is a straight shot out of the airport and down through St Pete, then over the Skyway. From there I'll let someone else navigate. lol We have variously taken 41 to 64, Alternate 41 to 64, or 75 to 64 (if you are heading toward the beaches which may not be Lisa's case). This is the only tedious portion of the drive and there are two very pretty sections: the Howard Frankland Bridge over upper Tampa Bay, and the Skyway Bridge across the mouth of the bay.

AAFrequentFlyer Jan 12th, 2004 03:26 PM

I agree with OliveOyl.

Depending on where LisaE is going in Brandenton, it could be quicker just to take 41 South once you cross the Skyway Bridge. If you're going as far as the Sarasota Airport then do the same routing except go all the way to I-75 and head south. I-275 from the airport going south towards Bradenton/Sarasota is the only way to go. Again the only decision she'll have to make will be based on where is her final destination in Bradenton is? If it's the northern part, get of on 41 South, if it the southern parts take I275 south to I75 south and there will be 4 exits few miles down all leading to different parts of Bradenton.

Tandoori_Girl Jan 13th, 2004 10:40 AM

Because LisaE says she's probably staying in Tampa for the night, not leaving immediately from the airport, I suggest the she go by way of I-275 through St. Petersburg only if she's staying in Tampa near the Howard Franklin bridge, which goes to St. Pete. If instead she can easily access I-75, I strongly urge her to take 75, not 275.

I don't think there will be any issues with traffic on Saturday at 9A, but if there are then they would most likely occur on 275 rather than 75.

LisaE Jan 15th, 2004 10:10 AM

Thank you all for your help. We are probably staying at the Hyatt near the airport so will use the directions from the airport.

help Jan 15th, 2004 12:26 PM

Olive Oyl is right..listen to her her hubby runs the Hyatt on by Westshore.. and she lives there...she know her way around..