Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Tampa SP Restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/tampa-sp-restaurants-522333/)

gilber20 Apr 19th, 2005 04:40 AM

Tampa SP Restaurants

My wife and I are planning to be in Gulfport for 2 nights in early May. I've listed a few places mentioned in other forum threads. How would you rank the following restaurants in terms of food, service, and value? Would you recommend it? Thanks for your help!

Casual-Dining: Seafood & Burgers

Guppy’s (Indian Rocks Beach)
Ted Peter’s Smoked Fish (SP-South Pasadena)
Frenchy’s Café (Clearwater Beach)
Chattaway (SP-Downtown)
Harvey’s 4th St. Grill (SP-Downtown)

Cuban

Café Habana (Gulfport)
Columbia (Tampa-Ybor City)
La Teresita (Tampa)
Tangelo’s Grill (SP-Downtown)

Greek

Pappas Restaurant (Tarpon Springs)
Costa’s (Tarpon Springs)
Plaka (Tarpon Springs)

Splurge Dinner/Lunch

Bern’s Steak House (Tampa-Hyde Park)
Lobster Pot (Indian Rocks Beach)
Marchand’s Bar & Grill (SP-Renaissance Vinoy Resort)
Wine Exchange (Tampa-Hyde Park)
Mise en Place (Tampa-Hyde Park)
6 Tables (Gulfport)

flbronc Apr 19th, 2005 05:53 AM

Never been to Bern's but have heard nothing but great reviews. Columbia is actually a Spanish restaurant- and received bad reviews recently. My experiences there were not great - overprices for what you get. Didn't enjoy it... Tio Pepe in Clearwater is a great Spanish restaurant... been around for many years. Good but not cheap... their Sangria is wonderful.. made at your table with a ncie bottle of Spanish wine ! Ted Peter's is good and an 'oldie' too ! The Lobster Pot is another place I had heard was godo but was never impressed with (went 2-3 times) - again, overpriced for what you get. For casual, Crabby Bill's in Indian Rocks used to be good - haven't been there in a few years though.

highbay Apr 19th, 2005 06:45 AM

We went to Frenchy's Cafe (the original one) this past Sunday and had a great grouper sandwich!

cherie1 Apr 19th, 2005 07:43 AM

We went to Frenchy's on the beach (they have 4 locations), and found the cajun grouper sandwich to be just okay. But the place is a lot of fun--right on the beach, live music, pool tables...still worth a visit (or 3). Right next door is the Palm Pavillion Cafe, similar to Frenchys but not quite as hot. We had a really delicious grouper roll-up with bacon, tomato, and balsamic vinegraite there...and it's also right on the beach with live music. Nearby, at another Frenchys location we had the gumbo (not served at the beach location)which was the best I've ever had. Their buffalo shrimp was yummy too.

One night we had a reservation at the Lobster Pot, but a local steered us away, advising that it was more money than it was worth, and that it was a shame to sit all enclosed in a "box" like that when you could be dining somewhere with a water view. We decided to try Columbia in Sand Key--but as we sat in the bar before getting a table, we chose to bolt because we thought the place looked tired, nearly empty, and we were served a rotton (spoiled) glass of wine.

We also went to Bern's one night. Fun, lively, crowded, bordello-like decor. Good food. But lots of food. If you’re not up for all the courses, skip dinner and instead have appetizers and drinks in the fun bar (seafood ceviche was excellent–served in a martini glass on a big platter of popcorn and corn nuts!), and then go upstairs to the dessert room where each table is in it’s own sectioned off little area. We didn't find it to be exactly beautiful up there or anything, but it is unique–you have your own radio and control on the wall, and the dessert and dessert drink menu is very extensive.

I note you did not mention two restaurants that we had great experiences at: Island Way Grille (Clearwater/Sand Key area) and Salt Rock Grille in Indian Rocks Shore. They are sister restaurants and both great in atmosphere and food.

Tandoori_Girl Apr 19th, 2005 10:44 AM

Guppy's -- I like it; the food is good for casual seafood; you can sit outside if there are tables available;
Ted Peter's -- very good, very unique, but you have to be in the mood for the limited menu; very Florida;
Frenchy's -- not particularly good nor bad but good atmosphere esp. the one on the gulf side of the beach in Clearwater (there are a few);
Chattaway -- terrific! very casual;
Harvey's -- good food but a Chili's or Bennigan's sort of place although not a chain;
Cafe Habana -- ate their once; chic but not so cuban in vibe; food is good;
Columbia -- consistently bad and pricey; go for lunch and ask to sit in the garden room, or see if they still have Sunday brunch (what you want to do is see this 100 y.o. historic landmark not eat their mediocre food;
Tangelo's Grill -- good now for many many years, sandwiches, casual, lunch only;

Greek -- I like Mykanos and haven't tried the other two you listed; the view at Pappa's is really nice and if you can get in for a Greek salad (they are huge), grilled octopus, and side of bread for lunch with a table on the west wall, that's the way to do it; for dinner go elsewhere;
I have not been to any of the 6 Tables locations but it is very pricey and snooty, nothing lively going on, and you have to book a reservation as there are only 6 tables. Mise En Place is really very good and the service is excellent; the Wine Exchange is not particularly "special" nor expensive, good for dinner before or after the movie theatre it sits next to; there's no other Bern's, it's a shoo-in for best splurge restaurant. I don't care what the others say, the Lobster Pot is tops for its conch chowder but I'd go to Island Way Grill for something that's more lively, fun, and the food is more interesting (and nice bayfront). The food at the Vinoy is not particularly good but the atmosphere and old hotel are terrific. I'd stop in for a drink instead.

Enjoy...

Tandoori_Girl Apr 19th, 2005 10:47 AM

The best Latin Tampa restaurant right now is Spain in downtown. If you go on a weekend night they have a live show that is just incredible. At night they only serve tapas, their mojitos are excellent.

Tandoori_Girl Apr 19th, 2005 11:07 AM

I've stopped recommending La Teresita because the last few times I've been it's been awful. For the best traditional Tampa Cuban cafeteria, go to Spain downtown for lunch. Good prices too. Cheap. Or try Arco Iris on Columbus Drive for dinner.

Gekko Apr 19th, 2005 01:44 PM

For an amazing grouper sandwich, try Dockside Dave's (on Gulf Blvd, Madeira Beach).

"Southern Magazine named Dockside Dave's as the place to get the best Grouper Sandwich in the South."

When I was there for lunch on Friday, the grouper was being cleaned behind the restaurant. Talk about fresh!

Tandoori_Girl Apr 19th, 2005 05:28 PM

Gekko, I was eating at the back of Dockside Dave's once and a boat pulled up and I bought a mess of crabs right off the boat from the crabbers (that's what they call them, a "mess" of crabs). Don't you think DAve's is a little pricey? Once that article came out last year they decided their grouper was gold and prices rocketed. Their blackened grouper is great but the fried is not my fave.

And how was your trip, gekko? What did you do?

enjoylife Apr 19th, 2005 08:16 PM

You must have Greek food in Tarpon Springs. I wish I could remember which restaurant I ate at. It was DELICIOUS!

gilber20 Apr 20th, 2005 03:20 AM

Thanks for the great suggestions and recommendations! Where can I find Spain in downtown Tampa? Also, would you recommend Mykanos over Pappas? My wife and I will make a Tarpon Springs lunch stop on our way to/back from Caladesi Island. The Greek salad and grilled octopus sound delicious.

joan Apr 20th, 2005 04:24 AM

Gilber, since you're staying in Gulfport, instead of (or also) Six Tables, you really should try Backfin Blue. It's probably walkable from wherever you're staying, be sure to order the Corn Chowder with lump crabmeat.

Two restaurants that really SHOULD be on your list are Cafe Ponte (off Ulmerton Road near I275) and Crazy Conch Cafe, on Tierra Verde, a few miles south of Gulfport. The first is a splurge restaurant, the second is great at sunset time.

Only go to Chattaway for lunch - it's a classic though in an iffy neighborhood. If you plan to visit the Dali Museum (and you must) you can plan the nearby Chattaway for lunch.

For your short time, I would not bother to make the traffic-laden trek to Tarpon or Tampa or Clearwater. There's enough on your plate within a few miles! Stop by Mid Peninsula (my place) and introduce yourself if you're in the 'hood! (49th Street South at 4th Avenue)

OO Apr 20th, 2005 05:02 AM

A hearty second on Joan's rec not to bother going into Tampa with that short time frame. There is enough to keep you busy food-wise on the St Pete side of the bridge.

Gilber20...I think it was you who was looking into staying at the Peninsula. Did you decide on it?

Joan...The Peninsula has a Grill inside by the bar too, or you can eat on their back porch--not 6 Tables food, different menu. That replaced Backfin Blue as our favorite dining spot in Gulfport. For a long time Backfin was about the only show in town, but Peninsula changed things. (Hopefully one of Backfin's first changes will be taking those nasty towels out of their back pockets!! ewwww)

Cafe Habana is just OK, gilber. I'd go to Cool Beans before that (lunch).

Also ditto what Joan said about Chattaway's location being a little iffy. Don't let it deter you as you drive to it though. It is good, but you may raise your eyebrow as you head along 22nd Ave in that direction.

Joan...I've lost my email addy's. Would you resend yours? I hate to lose touch.

joan Apr 20th, 2005 01:28 PM

Thanks for the heads up, OO, on the Peninsula Inn. That makes alot of sense, because we felt unwelcome there on the two times we went for drinks and apps. But that was more than a year ago, and now that it's changed hands, they are running very friendly ads locally and the flavor of the place seems to have changed. Heck, maybe I can get my husband to get the padlock off his wallet, and we can go to Six Tables finally too!

Also, it sounds like Cool Beans is worth a stop too.

Just proves how current info makes such a difference...

OO, you've got mail! :)

Tandoori_Girl Apr 20th, 2005 02:48 PM

I guess I need to open my eyes wider when I drive in SP. I've never noticed a marginal neighborhood on my way to the Chattaway. A few months living in NY must have lowered my standards =-o

Pappas is a very big grand newish building (I went to the grand opening in the late 70's). It is situated at the back of the channel where all the sponge ships dock. If you get a window seat there (they have quite a few), it is a really pretty view looking down the channel. Mykanos is a smaller place, no such view, excellent food. Both have very good food and similar prices. Pappas is more upscale looking, Mykanos is smaller, the cook likes to come out and stop at the tables. Both have similar menus -- but if you stink a little from the beach, you'll probably feel more comfortable at Mykanos than Pappas (it is on the main drag on the land-side past the historic "park").

Spain has music in the latter part of the evening, say after 9. I don't think there is a cover charge if you just sit at the bar. perhaps go elsewhere for dinner then stop in for drinks and the free music. It is really a fabulous scene. Small place with lots of latin people, hipsters flamenco dancing. Very Tampa. You will not find this in SP but, as both OO and Joan state, there's lots in SP. Especially great seafood. But your entertainment options are limited and not particularly good. From Spain it is 30 minute drive to Gulfport. Spain is at 513 Tampa St. Plenty of free parking in downtown streets.

gilber20 Apr 21st, 2005 04:02 AM

Thanks for the great suggestions. OO, I reserved the Sea Breeze Manor B&B. Do you prefer the Peninsula Inn? Hope to make it to the Grill there.

Everybody recommends Bern's Steak House for a splurge dinner. Is there a way to avoid over-eating such as ordering appetizers only, or is huge portions part of the whole experience? Would the restaurant not look favorably if my wife and I were to share a steak entree?

I noticed that Sidebern's is next to the steak house. Would this offer the same desserts and atmosphere, but with smaller entree portions?

OO Apr 21st, 2005 05:33 AM

I haven't seen the interior of Sea Breeze Manor gilber20. It might be just as nice as Peninsula. Peninsula is more lively in the evening with its friendly front porch. You can always sit out there with them and enjoy the music and ambience no matter where you stay. My DH is a "porch sitter" from way back, so although we stay on our boat when we are there, we have enjoyed the goings on at Peninsula too.

I haven't found portion sizes at Berns to be an issue at all, and <i>technically</i> they shouldn't have an issue with your sharing an entree, but there undoubtly will be an extra charge for it. I am not a Berns fan, although I haven't been back since Bern Sr died. It's not that it's bad, it's just <i>way</i> over-rated IMHO. The steaks are good, side dishes boring and unimaginative (and look around the restaurant--no matter what anyone is having, they have the same side dishes). The kitchen and wine cellar tour is novel and fun. If you go, do go to the dessert room. You must &quot;declare&quot; at the beginning of the meal so your spot will be reserved. I don't think anyone is neutral on Berns...you either love it or hate it and you see where I fall. You should take a look at these reviews so you at least go with your eyes wide open. http://www.digitalcity.com/tampabay/...10#gbPostBoard

Atmosphere by the way is better at Sideberns than Berns. Berns decor is a joke. A bad one. LOL (So how do you really feel about Berns, OO?)

Joan....yes new owners have turned it around. Give it a try. If they keep it up, they will give Harold a run for his money. They have plans for a spa across the street too. Wait staff doesn't have Berns training though--don't be shocked if yours sits down with you as she takes your order! LOL That's funky Gulfport.

TG...you need to approach Chattaways from 22nd Ave, which gilber20 would do coming from Gulfport, to understand what we are referring to. It isn't NYC bad, it's St Pete bad.

Gekko Apr 21st, 2005 07:26 AM

Regarding Dockside Dave's, we sat on the back deck about 5 feet from the water. Perfect.

Pricey? I live in New York, so it seemed like a steal to me. (Even by FL standards, I don't think it would qualify as pricey -- the grouper was fresh and the portions were huge.)

cherie1 Apr 21st, 2005 07:37 AM

As I said in my earlier post, I would just as soon go to the bar at Berns and order drinks and appetizers. They have a great wine and drink menu, and we had an awesome seafood ceviche served in an oversized martini glass, on a platter full of popcorn and corn nuts. It was imaginative and really fresh and delicious, and in my opinion the best thing I ate all night (we had a full dinner in the dining room afterwards). I liked the bar atmosphere better than the dining room as well. I'm not saying dinner was bad--it was good, very good, but it wasn't the best I've ever had or anything. And I didn't find the dessert room to be so incredible either, but we really enjoyed that part of the evening and shared a terrific bowl of cookies and cream ice cream with hot Valhrona chocolate fudge and a nice hot coffee drink. In sum, I wouldn't hesitate to have drinks and appetizers at the bar, and dessert upstairs, while skipping the dining room alltogether if that is your inclination.

Tandoori_Girl Apr 21st, 2005 07:43 AM

sigh. i remember the old days at Dave's when things were cheaper and they changed the fry-grease more often. just nostalgia talking.

OK. Her'es the secret to doing Bern's on the cheap. AND without a reservation. This is what we've done when we've wanted to all of a sudden go to Bern's (OO gets these cravings but she resists them :-d). You can eat in the bar which is to the right when you first walk in. Just say you want to eat there and voila, a table. Don't want all the steak and fixings? Order either the steak sandwich or the steak salad. Both are excellent and ample And I think they're under $10, or in that range. Can you believe it? Their by-the-glass wines are unbelievably inexpensive also.

Now don't tell a soul I told you this or I'll be ostracized by the do-it-cheap veterans. This plan would leave you open to go to Spain (where I've been a regular lately).