Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Tampa-AmeriSuites-W. Main St. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/tampa-amerisuites-w-main-st-564043/)

AmySabato Oct 12th, 2005 08:32 AM

Tampa-AmeriSuites-W. Main St.

AMERISUITES on West Main Street in Tampa..

What, if any, has been your experience
at this hotel please? congested area? "good" or "bad/high crime area?
We will just be driving over to the Aquarium (which I understand is about nine miles away). I couldn't find a closer hotel to the Aquarium for $69, so this has to be it. Whatever your experience and/or knowledge, please share. Thank you.

Tandoori_Girl Oct 12th, 2005 03:08 PM

Amy, the Amerisuites is a fairly new hotel in an area of more hotels and some upscale chain restaurants (Roys, Flemings, Selmons). Other than these hotels and restaurants, you are on the edge of a nice little 1950s neighborhood, rather interracial, no crime, a nice school and nice new park back there -- but frankly nothing that a tourist would want to see or do. So instead of sticking around you will be heading out, driving anywhere you want to go (Tampa is a driving city). There is a very nice mall that you could actually walk to -- International Plaza -- and another one farther away at Westshore Blvd. called -- what else -- Westshore Mall. Both are nice but International Plaza is more interesting with its classy upscale shops and expansive outdoor food pavillion (nice if the weather is nice).

The Aquarium is a 10-minute drive at the most, your hotel is close to the interstate (275). Unfortunately things are a little snarly at "malfunction junction" now. This is the intersection of I-4 and I-275 in the middle of downtown, and it slows near there, but it is really your best way, just be patient and exit at Ashley and look for the signs to the aquarium (small signs).

That's it? Nothing else? We were hoping you'd spend more money in Tampa than $69 :">

AmySabato Oct 20th, 2005 05:48 AM

Hi Tandoori Girl: Thank you so much for the feedback. I am back from there and we loved the Aquarium. Other than that, I do not think we will be returning to Tampa until 1) the construction is finished--everywhere 2) they clean up and repair the dilapidated areas of town 3)the people become a little nicer. What happened to Tampa? Some years ago, I used to LOVE it! It was like Miami was in the 70's, not too crowded and with a lovely downtown and surrounding area. I was saddened even by what Ybor City looks like (I see that the Columbia restaurant moved across the street). Anyway, the Highway Patrol gave incorrect directions, Tampa police were nasty and also did not give correct directions, as well as not wanting to provide information when we were about 5 miles North of Tampa. We continuously got lost on 275...well, needless to say that we adored Mount Dora and Saint Leo which we subsequently visited. I'll pass on Tampa for now. I am sure we missed the nicer and friendlier parts (and nice people like you). Maybe I'll wait a few more years. Thank you again. I appreciate your response.

Tandoori_Girl Oct 20th, 2005 09:01 AM

Amy, we all hate Ybor and what it has become. Vile. Nasty. Yek. But...the Columbia has not moved, it is where it always has been since 1891 (or whenever it was built).

Oh well. We've lost you but there are still 100 people a day moving into Tampa and its burbs. We're just doing our darndest to slow down growth by driving people away :-d

I don't think the road construction will ever stop and, yes, it's awful.

AmySabato Oct 21st, 2005 11:30 AM

Tandoori Girl: I agree.
I actually wanted to move there some years ago, but after this trip, I can only hope that they move forward in time. Perhaps there is less "politics" there than in South Florida. If that is the case, then that might be the reason for the delay in construction and other things. Thanks again. :-)