Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Talk about timing......... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/talk-about-timing-474948/)

durty_dawg007 Sep 17th, 2004 09:43 PM

Talk about timing.........

Well this will be my first post on this site, but my mom is on here all the time she's known as arkansasnurse.
Well as I was saying I just found out that I will be getting shipped to Iraq in less than a month, for what we call a long deployment. This really sucks for the simple fact that me and my wife will be in labor with first born a month after I'm gone. So how's that for timing, this will be my second deployment in 3 yrs. Both together will equal 30 months of deployment time. I have only to ask that if there are any fellow soldiers or marines, that what would be a good thing to take with me for the "big sand box", I keep hearing things like panty hose and lotion, bug spray and off. What do the predeployies recommend.

mclaurie Sep 18th, 2004 06:26 AM

Read your Mother's post yesterday but she didn't mention anything about your baby. She did get quite a few answers. Trail mix was evidently a biggie. :)

So sorry you will miss the birth. Can't help with your question but wish you all the best for a safe and speedy return home and wishing you and your wife all good things for the new baby.

This will also top your post.

MelissaHI Sep 18th, 2004 11:51 AM

I was just watching the news and they were talking to one of the Iraqi translators. Since he is local, but part of the military staff, he has to eat the MREs that the soldiers eat. He said the MREs weren't so great, but the alternative was starving so he'd rather have an MRE. Is there anything you can bring that is convenient and tasty?

Best wishes to you & your wife on your baby....I hope you have a safe and quick return home.

cigalechanta Sep 18th, 2004 11:55 AM

That indeed sucks!!!!!Tho I'm an pacifist. I wish you and all the others a safe return, and hopefully a quick return.

seafox Sep 18th, 2004 12:28 PM

I'm with Cigalechanta on this....a safe and early return are my hopes for you...perhaps November will bring a change that will see all of out soldiers home sooner than planned!

Statia Sep 18th, 2004 01:27 PM

Yes, bad timing indeed. That's awful that you won't be there for the birth. At least with today's technology you can get immediate photos of your newborn by email. Perhaps that will make it a tad easier to bear, although I know it won't help much.

I don't have any sandbox advice, but just want to wish you well for a speedy and safe return, and thank you for what you are doing for our country.

Scarlett Sep 18th, 2004 02:48 PM

I have no advice at all. I only wish you did not have to go, that you will be safe and come home soon.
Much good luck to you and your wife and the new baby!
God Bless **==,
Scarlett

coccinelle Sep 18th, 2004 02:54 PM

I have none to give, But hope my son is never in your position.
Stay safe our friend, and God protect you.

joan Sep 18th, 2004 05:47 PM

Thank you durty dawg, and know that we appreciate all you are doing. God bless you and you family, and stay safe.

ChristieP Sep 19th, 2004 04:22 AM

Thanks very much for your service, and I also wish you a safe return home!

God bless America!

Marci_77 Sep 19th, 2004 04:28 AM

Congrats on being a dad!
You may want to check out the website www.anysolider.com
The sites purpose is to get civilians to send care packages to soldiers. There are very detailed lists of high demand items and I thought it might help you.

Thank you for your service.

sognatrice2 Sep 19th, 2004 04:49 AM

You're right durty_dog, The timing sucks, and sorry you have to go just now. Wishing you and your family all the best and may God keep you safe.
We pray for an end to this war soon.