Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Taking the long way around - D.C. to Williamsburg via Delmarva (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/taking-the-long-way-around-d-c-to-williamsburg-via-delmarva-944221/)

Pat_in_Mich Jul 25th, 2012 04:23 AM

Taking the long way around - D.C. to Williamsburg via Delmarva

We are planning a trip the third week of October to Washington D.C. and Williamsburg. I've always wanted to drive across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel so we are considering leaving D.C and going across to the Delmarva Peninsula and then crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel and on up to Williamsburg.

How is this drive? Scenic? Lots to do? I was also considering adding a stop at Rehoboth Beach. Are things still open there at that time of year or is it more of a close down after Labor Day type of destination? Mapping tells me that it's about a 6 hour drive directly or about 7.5 hours with the detour to Rehoboth Beach. We don't mind that kind of drive in a day but if there is a lot to stop and look at perhaps we might want to stop somewhere for the night. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Birdie Jul 25th, 2012 06:27 AM

That trip is definitely worth doing. Most of the route is rural farmland punctuated by small towns. I find it to be a peaceful alternative to the traffic-plagued I-95 route.

I would go over to Lewes rather than Rehoboth. Lewes is more of a cute town, with bay and ocean beaches, than Rehoboth which is more touristy and summer oriented. You can then travel down 113. I would stop at the Maryland portion of Assateague, just outside of Ocean City,to look for the ponies and take some short hikes.

There is an amazing museum of bird carvings in Salisbury if you are interested in that. Berlin, MD is the town where they filmed "Run Away Bride" but there really isn't much else that is special about the town.

It takes me between 4 and 5 hours to get from Williamsburg to Lewes without stops. It's going to depend on how much you want to stop that's going to determine whether to stay the night. You can stop midway at Chincoteague, for instance, or travel further and stop at Cape Charles just before the bridge.

Ackislander Jul 25th, 2012 06:34 AM

Strongly agree with Birdie on all points in which I have knowledge (have not seen ponies).

And if you have not been there, the St Michaels-Oxford-Easton area, just before you cross the bridge to Annapolis on your way back to Washington is beautiful. You could easily spend three days on this trip.

Pat_in_Mich Jul 25th, 2012 06:44 AM

Thanks, these sound like some great suggestions!

emalloy Jul 25th, 2012 06:49 AM

I totally agree and if you are lucky, you might get to see some awesome migrating birds at Chincoteague. We were there a little later and there were thousands of snow geese in the National Park.