taking the grandkids to Washington DC

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Janet Emery

taking the grandkids to Washington DC

My husband and I are taking our grandchildren (girl 12, boy 10) to DC this April for a week. We have a flexible budget, have been there 20 years ago, but need some ideas of staying in downtown vs outside the city, places to eat for kids (NO FAST FOOD!)where we can also find healthy food. thank you!

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Barb

Took our 2 children, then 7 and 10 to DC 2 summer's ago. Stayed at Marriott downtown- can't remember exact location, but pool and proximity to metro were great. I would stay downtown and use metro to get around- safe and easy. Although I am not usually a fan of organized tours, we took an "Old town trolley tour" in the evening and we all loved it. Ask for "Mr. Map" -this gentleman is a DC native and made the tour very memorable, especially for the children-had them sit up front with him and ring the trolley bell- also his commentary was fun and educational. The tour stops at FDR, Lincoln and Vietnam memorials, Kennedy center,Arlington cemetary,and more with time to get in and out. We also spent a day at Smithsonian air and space. Our mistake was only going for 2 days- You should have time to do it all in a week. Can't help too much in the restaurant dept- dinner one night was at Planet Hollywood within walking distance of hotel,(salads, burgers, sandwiches, pasta) food OK, reasonable, kids enjoyed it. Have fun

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Barb

Took our 2 children, then 7 and 10 to DC 2 summer's ago. Stayed at Marriott downtown- can't remember exact location, but pool and proximity to metro were great. I would stay downtown and use metro to get around- safe and easy. Although I am not usually a fan of organized tours, we took an "Old town trolley tour" in the evening and we all loved it. Ask for "Mr. Map" -this gentleman is a DC native and made the tour very memorable, especially for the children-had them sit up front with him and ring the trolley bell- also his commentary was fun and educational. The tour stops at FDR, Lincoln and Vietnam memorials, Kennedy center,Arlington cemetary,and more with time to get in and out. We also spent a day at Smithsonian air and space. Our mistake was only going for 2 days- You should have time to do it all in a week. Can't help too much in the restaurant dept- dinner one night was at Planet Hollywood within walking distance of hotel,(salads, burgers, sandwiches, pasta) food OK, reasonable, kids enjoyed it. Have fun

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 03:12 PM
Kristi

as a DC resident, I always suggest that visitors stay in the Embassy Suites in Chevy Chase/Friendship Heights. Since it's a suite arrangement, you can share one room and keep an eye on the kids. The hotel is in a building directly over a metro station, and in a very safe (and upscale) area of town within walking distance of shops, restaurants, and a movie theater.

The metro stop is on the red line, which is a straight shot to the National Zoo, and our two new pandas. You will have to change (not difficult) to reach the Smithsonian stop. The kids will love the Air and Spare museum (which also has an IMAX theater), and the Museum of National History (esp. the bug "zoo"). April is a crowded month, but that makes DC safer, too -- definitely try to visit the monuments at night. FYI - Congress will be in recess April 7 to 22, so if you're coming then, you won't be able to see the House and Senate in action.

There are very few restaurants in the "Mall" area. For a taste of Capitol Hill, you can walk up Pennsylvania Avenue past the Capitol and go to "locals spots" like the Hawk and Dove. On your metro ride back to the hotel, you might want to stop and Dupont Circle which has a ton of restaurants -- two good mexican options are Lariol Plaza (a little bit of a walk) and the Burro (technically fast food, but so good and cheap). There are a ton of choices in Dupont, which is a real DC neighborhood, including Pizzaria Paradiso (funky pizza), City Lights (Chinese), Tiramisu (more expensive Italian), Daily Grill (the chain), Bistrot du Coin (a newer french place), and endless other choices. In Friendship Heights (next door to the hotel) are two popular chains -- Maggianos and Cheesecake Factory.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 04:44 PM
Joan

Kristi, As a D.C. resident have you heard of the Phoenix Park Hotel across from Union Station. (has a restaurant called the Dubliner) Is it nice? We will be there with our two teenagers. We were going to do the Embasssy Suites, but 2 rooms give us 2 bathrooms which will give us more sanity in the mornings!! Do you have another suggestion. Do not really want to go over $150/room.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 09:58 PM
Dave

I've been to DC seven times and I have to agree with a lot of what

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 04:51 AM
Ruth

The Phoenix Park is a very nice hotel with somewhat small rooms--think European size. It's an old hotel that was redone about 10-15 years ago. It's certainly close to Union Station with its numerous food choices.

I always recommend staying downtown rather than in the suburbs. If you stay at one of the hotels in the area just north of Pennsylvania between 7th and 15th streets, you can walk to most of the Smithsonian museums and don't have to worry about the Metro. There are also a number of dinner options. The other good area is Dupont Circle. You'll take the Metro a little more, but it has lots of dinner choices. As for lunch, each of the Smithsonian museums has a cafeteria--the food isn't great, but it is in the building.

When you pick a place to stay, Janet, why don't you repost and ask about dinner options near your hotel. That way you can get more targeted information.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 05:32 AM
Kristi

the Phoenix Park Hotel is very close to Union Station -- but it's my opinion that the food choices there aren't so great. You've got an extensive food court (which Janet wanted to avoid), one more "upscale" place (B Smith's -- southern inspired food), and a couple of middle of the road restaurants that are just ok -- Thunder Grill (Southwestern), America, and Capitol City Brewing (a brew pub). The Dubliner, the restaurant in the Phoenix Park, is a fine restaurant for lunch, and a "hangout" for Georgetown Law students who can make the bar (and the Irish Times next door) a little rowdy at night. Plus, this is the Capitol Hill area, and while you'd probably be perfectly fine walking at night, it has many more saftey issues to consider and little to do at night in the area. I recommend that Embassy Suites because it's VERY safe, and there's lots to walk to at night. If you have your heart set on staying downtown, you might see if you can get a deal on the J.W. Marriott, or find a more reasonably priced hotel in the Dupont Circle area (there have been lots of posts reviewing such hotels).

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 06:57 AM
The Comptons

You might consider on your list the Newseum in Arlington. You can get there by bus. They have a lot of interactive stuff. There are other ideas on our web site - http://www.geocities.com/judcomp/dcitin.htm - or a longer travelogue at - http://www.geocities.com/judcomp/dc.htm

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Annie

The Phoenix Park was expanded and renovated around '97 or '98. The restaurant on the top floor of the hotel was excellent when I was last there (it's been a few years). The Dublin has good food, but avoid it during lunch on weekdays. The host tends to get very nervous as the place gets crowded, and are not very adept at handling a fast-paced lunch crowd.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Erin

I too live in DC, but am not from the area. I agree with some locals, and not with others. NEWSEUM for the kids is a definitely plus, along with all the regular stops (air & space, zoo, etc.). I think that budget wise, staying in Rosslyn is much better than in the city. I live in Arlington & find that commuting to the city takes less time from Rosslyn than it does from many points on the hill or evey at Dupont Circle. If you want to stay downtown, be my guest, but the neighborhoods are not as safe, so please take a taxi!!!
Restaurants for the kids: if they don't mind new foods, try either Jaleo (Spanish), Merrakesh (Moroccan), or Meskerem (Ethiopian) for a special evening. They will definitely enjoy the cultural experience, and Jaleo and Merrakesh have dancing and music - I've seen many kids simply thrilled by these places.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Mike

I agree with previous post...I live in Arlington and would defintely recommend Rossyln and Crystal City. You can probably get much more for your money than you can in one of the downtown hotels. I would book soon, though, April is probably the busiest month in DC and hotels fill quickly.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 11:59 AM
S

We went several years ago with our girls. Call your congressman's office before you go. They'll give you a personal tour of the Capital without having to stand in the long lines.

What did my girls remember the most? Standing in the circle of the capital that is geographically the center of the capital.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 12:07 PM
L

Janet, the Phoenix Park is in a good location ... you can cross Mass. Ave. and take Metro anywhere, and you can walk to the east end of the Mall in under 10 minutes. Just a suggestion: avoid restaurants on Pa. Ave. SE and on Mass Ave. near Union Station, and in the food court of Union Station. I lived in that area .. trust me. Buy a Zagat's (it gives you great ideas about places for younger folks too), and get a DC Access Guide which gives you everything organized by DC neighborhood. For food, try the 7th Street/Chinatown area, DuPont Circle/Ct. Ave/P. Street area, and even Adams-Morgan. If you want Vietnamesem hop on the orange line to Clarendon Square. And a final idea, study the Metro system and line colors and stops before you arrive ... use the subway a lot .. it will save you time. And do not hesitate to use our taxis ... they are on zones, and the fares are cheap. Enjoy DC. By the way, the so-called tourist bus or train is a big waste if the Mall is crowded ... you'll spend a lot of time waiting. Instead walk, taxi and subway. Georgetwon is okay ... see M Street from 28th to 32nd, and up Wisc. Ave for one mile ... and then go some other more interetsin place. Or walk thru the residnetial area and look at the houses. If you want to see Old Town Alex., use the yellow or blue line to King Street sttaion, and then take a taxi up King Street to the river. Ciao.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 04:46 PM
Sean

I too am a DC resident, and I would urge against Phoenix Park. It's located in the center of DC, but there's NOTHING there for kids in the evening. Union Station is close, but other than a cool interior (you should try to see it), it's main claim to fame is a HUGE food court.

I agree with Kristi's post about Embassy Suites. Very good neighborhood, good restaurants in area (that are very family-friendly, like Cheesecake Factory), stadium seating movie theater, Borders Books, etc. Old Town is great too, but Metro isn't very close to where you'd probably be staying. There's a HI in a great location in Old Town that has a shuttle to Metro (probably 5 mins away).

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 07:56 AM
Christie

I'm thinking back to the many trips I made to DC as a kid (Granddad worked for the Navy) and the things I enjoyed most were:
Air and Space Museum
Natural History Museum (dinosaur skeletons and Hope Diamond)
American History Museum (First Ladies' inaugural gowns)
Arlington National Cemetery's changing of the guard
Lincoln, Jefferson and Iwo Jima memorials (add the Vietnam and FDR memorials now)
National Zoo (loved the pandas!)
Meeting my Senators and Representatives (make appointment)
White House Tour

As an Army wife, it is my humble opinion that a visit to Arlington is a MUST for kids of this age. Remind them that their freedom came with a price, and that each of those tombstones represents someone who gave his/her life for our proud country.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 08:14 AM
N

Phoenix Park is not in the center of DC ... it's actually on the edge of the downtown area, barely. And at night, there is zero for kids to do in DC, and I would challenge anyone to suggest which neighborhood exists in DC where kids can get out on foot and do things. Georgetwon? Uper NW? Zoo area? DuPont Circle? At least across from Union Station, they can hit the food court, shop in the station and go to the movies there. I would suggest that's the most anyone can expect for kids to do in any given location in DC.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 08:39 AM
Bucky

One warning with walking the streets of DC. Running Red lights is RAMPANT amongst many drivers, especially cabbies. Sometimes cars will three or four seconds late coming through an intersection. So be very careful that you and your children look both ways when crossing streets, especially K Street. This is a severe problem in downtown DC but has never been addressed by the DC police, a largely car-bound, listless group of men and women. If I were police chief, I'd ticket red lighters $200 and put the worst offenders up for public endangerment.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 09:27 AM
Kristi

true, the kids could hit the food court at night -- of course someone was shot there a couple of years ago. Then again, someone was shot in front of the zoo, too.

I assume that Janet is not going to let a 10 and 12 year old wander by themselves. I recommend Friendship Heights (which is in DC) b/s Janet and her grandkids can walk to a Borders, shops, movie theaters, etc. in a very nice part of town. The same is true in Dupont circle (there are bookstores, restaurants, and movie theaters) and old town Alexandria. I disagree with those who suggest Rosslyn. While lodging would be a bargain, there's little if anything within walking distance at night.

FYI -- the Phoenix Park is not "downtown" but is squarely in the Capitol Hill area of the city.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 09:50 AM
V

No, sorry, but Phoenix Park is NOT sqaurely in the Cap Hill section ... it's three very long blocks from the Russell and Dirken Bldgs. It is not even in the CH residential area either ... some of us live there, in that very area. Just look at a map for goodness sake. It is on the edge of where NE/NW join, and this part of the city has no particular distinction or name. CH res. begins behind the Cap and extends out SE and NE along E cap. street. Part of is falls below Mass Ave. The House and the Senate and the Cap Builidng are bounded by Const., First and Pa. Ave. End of lesson. Sorry, but those of us who live in DC have enough misinformation to deal with about crime ... lets at least get the city's layout straight. By the way, anyone who would allow a 10 and 12 year old to wonder around the DuPont Circle area has got to be nuts. There is nothing for that age group to do in that area. I have lived there too, right on P Street, just down the street from the Circle itself. Please don't suggest that for these folks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -