COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Taking teen girls to NYC - what to do

Old Jun 9th, 1997, 04:21 PM
Tami

Taking teen girls to NYC - what to do

Six moms and six 16 year old girls visiting NYC at
end of June. We moms have been before and know what WE like to do, but the girls want different things!
We all agree on a few shows, Statue of Liberty, shopping, and Empire State Building. The girls want teen clubs(are there any - safe ones - for 16 year olds) and more shopping! Any suggestions?

Old Jun 10th, 1997, 11:50 AM
jeanne

I took my 16 year old niece to NYC a few weeks ago.
Her favorite shopping areas were Soho, and Grenwich.
A lot of cool things (for her.) She also really enjoyed walking around Central Park. We took a tour
on one of the double decker buses. We all really enjoyed sitting on the top, and seeing everything.
There are also some backstage theatre tours they
might enjoy. We went to a comdy restaurant owned by
Carolina's Comedy club. I forget the name, but it
is right beside Caroline's (near the theatre district.) They have comedians walk around, picking
on people. It ws fun to see them pick on the parents.

Old Jun 10th, 1997, 12:36 PM
N.Macri

I live in NY and you could spend weeks here and never get bored (regardless of your age)! The Rockefeller Center area is great for shopping (and browsing.) The girls should enjoy the NBC tour located there, my teenager did. Sony Wonder up by 57th St. (and 5th, I think, they have an internet site so you can check the address, hours, etc.) is interesting (and free), FAO Schwartz is in that area also, kids of all ages get a kick out of that place. The double decker bus is great, or if your budget allows, a carriage ride by central park will make them smile.
Enjoy the big apple......

Old Jun 10th, 1997, 12:36 PM
N.Macri

I live in NY and you could spend weeks here and never get bored (regardless of your age)! The Rockefeller Center area is great for shopping (and browsing.) The girls should enjoy the NBC tour located there, my teenager did. Sony Wonder up by 57th St. (and 5th, I think, they have an internet site so you can check the address, hours, etc.) is interesting (and free), FAO Schwartz is in that area also, kids of all ages get a kick out of that place. The double decker bus is great, or if your budget allows, a carriage ride by central park will make them smile.
Enjoy the big apple......

Old Jun 16th, 1997, 03:45 PM
hamlet

Walk thru the various neighborhoods and get a flavor for the diversity of the city. They would probably enjoy shops in Greenwich Village or SoHo. Check out daredevil rollerbladers in Central Park. Fun shows if you can get tix: Blue Man Group and Stomp. On a clear day go to top of Empire State Bldg or World Trade Center - no need to do both, not worth the lines. At night time head to NJ or one of the other boroughs to get a view of NY by night. Don't think there are any teen clubs but like all other teen tourists they might enjoy hanging out at Hard Rock, Planet Hollywood, Motown Cafe, Jeckyll and Hyde, etc.

Old Jun 16th, 1997, 04:02 PM
Lloyd Boston

Be sure to take the girls to the MOTOWN CAFE ON 54TH street. They have live performances in the hour, fantastic food and cool memorabilia! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Old Jun 16th, 1997, 04:11 PM
Lloyd Boston

Be sure to take the girls to the MOTOWN CAFE ON 54TH street. They have live performances on the hour, fantastic food and cool memorabilia! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Old Jun 16th, 1997, 04:15 PM
Bernie

The CIRCLE LINE ferry boat around the entire Isle of Manhattan with loudspeaker guide is a way of seeing and hearing aboout New York in a most unique and enlightening way I wouldn't miss it. Age is irrelevant. 42nd Street and Hudson River, I believe. Catch it on a nice day though.

Old Jun 21st, 1997, 08:09 AM
Marcela Landres

Hi there,

The other postings give some good suggestions, but I'd like to address the six teenager's desire to go club-hopping. As a native New Yorker, and a 20-something who fondly remembers club-hopping as a teenager herself, here's some words of advice from someone who knows:

If your daughters must go club-hopping, their options are limited because they're underage and all clubs have bars. (There really aren't any clubs that cater to teens, sorry.) If they want to go dancing, which is what I assume they want to do, they MUST go together in a group and never, ever leave each other alone. They must wear shoes they can run in--no silly high heels. (It makes dancing easier, too.) NY is very safe on the streets nowadays, but there aren't any cops inside the clubs. They should be prepared to be ID'd (thought the security guys will probably let them in, so long as they don't drink). Even if the girls wear no makeup, are dressed in their most unfashionable rags, and wear bags over their head, guys will still hit on them and try to touch them. It's part of the club scene and if they don' t want to be touched, THEY SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM CLUBS.

Webster's Hall (near New York University) is probably the tamest, though they get awfully crowded on the weekends. Wednesday nights is Drag Queen night, and believe it or not it's actually quite safe 'cause the Wednesday night crowd are hard-core dancers who are there to dance, not to pick up girls. And the music really rocks.

Hope this helps.