Tacoma Dome - Questions re hotel/transport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2016, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm going to an event at the Tacoma Dome. Originally I was going to spend 2 or 3 days and visit Seattle too. But now I might have to do a quick one nighter.

Sooooo -- I know there is a light rail system that serves the Dome and various parts of town but I don't know Tacoma at all well so have no idea which area to stay. I may fly in mid-morning the day of the event and fly home the next mid-day. Recommendations re a good area and/or hotel in the maybe $150-$200 range. Can go higher for something special.

Don't plan on renting a car so along the light rail line is probably best.

thanks
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

. . . and a follow up question. Is a shared van (supershuttle/airporter/whatever) the best option from/to the airport if I don't rent a car
Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't help with Tacoma hotels, but can for transportation. The Shuttle Express is the local shared shuttle that has been around for decades and is very good. We have used it probably over a hundred times and never had an issue. You could also do Uber or Lyft, which we use a lot in Seattle as well. Just depends on what you want, but any of these 3 are reliable.
Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 12:26 PM

There is a Silver Cloud at the waterfront, but I expect you would prefer downtown if you wan to be close to the Tacoma Dome. I've only once stayed overnight in Tacoma, and that was at the Sheraton, which was brand-new at the time. There is also a Marriott Courtyard in Downtown.
Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Shuttle Express seems the way to go.

I don't need to be near the arena as long as the hotel is near the light rail line since there is a station for the Tacoma Dome.

The other stations listed are

•South 25th St. Station, S. 25th & A St.

•Convention Center Station, Commerce St & S. 15th St.

•Commerce St/South 11th St Station, S. 11th & Commerce St.

•Theater District Station, Commerce St. & S. 9th St.

I don't know central Tacoma at all so I don't know which of these have hotels/restaurants nearby.
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 06:21 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The Murano (the former Sheraton) is very nice, but there's also a decent Best Western right next to the T-Dome (and a two block walk from the T-Dome trolley station, which is located across the street from the funky Freighthouse Square complex.) The Courtyard at the Convention Center is also well-located.

Now I know you don't want to rent a car, but just in case you changed your mind, the Silver Cloud is a marvelous place, and the nearby Old Town area has a lot of cool restaurants, plus Point Defiance is just down the way, as is the Vashon ferry dock. With a car your range of options would expand greatly.

The Silver Cloud - https://www.silvercloud.com/tacoma/ - has a shuttle; I don't know if it goes to the T-Dome but definitely worth a call. An Uber from the T-Dome to the Silver Cloud would also be pretty cheap.

When is the event?
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 08:54 AM

Hey, Gardyloo, I looked for the Sheraton on Booking.com and couldn't find it - now I know why. I knew it would be a fine location for getting to the Tacoma Dome. You always have good info!
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks -- that is great info -- I had looked at both the Murano and the BW. The Best Western would be the most convenient but not that much better. The Murano looks very nice.

I'm assuming there are more food/drinks options near the Murano - right?

If I was going to have a few days (and I still might - though looking unlikely) I'd rent a car. But for the 1.5 days I'd have it I'd drive less than 75 miles total and a quick search only found rates in the $150+ range.