Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   T-Mobile Coverage on Maui? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/t-mobile-coverage-on-maui-498313/)

ddcnga Jan 25th, 2005 11:12 AM

T-Mobile Coverage on Maui?

I could call T-Mobile and ask this question, but I don't have an hour to wait on hold!

Does anyone know if T-Mobile is available on Maui? I've searched the forum, but nothing specific on T-Mobile on Maui.

Thanks,

DD

marshall531 Jan 25th, 2005 11:13 AM

I had the same question about my verizon wireless. Does it work on all the islands and is there a roaming charge?

ddcnga Jan 25th, 2005 11:20 AM

For T-mobile there is no real "roaming", as it is all a special T-Mobile network. Or at least that's my understanding.

I'm not sure how Verizon works, but I did a search on this forum for "cell phones hawaii" and I think one of the posts did mention Verizon.

here_today_gone2Maui Jan 25th, 2005 11:30 AM

T-Mobile and Verizon both have service here, as do AT&T/Cingular and Nextel. Between AT&T and T-Mobile we have full GSM coverage. My phone sometimes displays AT&T, sometimes T-Mobile. Whether or not you'll pay roaming charges depends on your service, just the same as anywhere else in the US. If you have a nation plan, then there are no roaming charges. If you have a local plan call your provider and change it before you travel.

Conlet Jan 25th, 2005 12:05 PM

I used my T-Mobile phone on Maui in October with no problem. No roaming either!

Cerlaurie Jan 25th, 2005 01:32 PM

We'll be in Maui and the Big Island and I called Cingular to ask about coverage. Basically, they had some city names but not everywhere. The only city they listed on Maui was Kihea but there were a few different ones on the Big Island. I am assuming I will have a much broader range than just Kihea so I am going to just wing it.

here_today_gone2Maui Jan 25th, 2005 06:26 PM

I have service with Cingular. I have service all over the island, except for in Hana and in pockets where my signal disappears, like in my home office and going around the bend at Maliko Bay. Sometimes my signal is on AT&T, sometimes on T-Mobile. My husband often travels to the BI and his phone has always worked there, even in some remote areas.

I no longer trust that the person on the other end of the phone knows anything about their service. My mother was told that she would not be able to use her phone in Hawaii by a Cingular CSR, although I had been using their service here for several years. My daughter was told by her previous carrier that her phone would not work in Vermont--it did work quite well. I think they just look to see if they have cells in that area and if they don't, tell you there is no service.

Cerlaurie Jan 26th, 2005 09:56 AM

Thanks, heretoday, I actually called Cingular twice (luckily I got someone right away both times). The first time she said there was nothing on Maui so I decided to call back and give city names. I am assuming we won't have any more problems than we do here in Chicago - hope I am right!