COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

T-giving Fri/Sat in DC with kids - how crowded ?

Old Nov 20th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

As the week of Thanksgiving stretches in front of us, we realized that we have no plans. So, we've decided to do a quick trip to DC for an overnight. (we are a family of 5 with kids ages 4,6,8) We've decided that we'll arrive in DC about lunchtime Friday and leave at dinnertime Saturday.

1) Courtyard by Marriott in Alexandria is a free option since award points will work. Any reason not to stay there ?

2) How crowded will the Smithsonian be on Friday afternoon / Saturday ? I know there are lots of dining options -- any to avoid or get to ? Are they all standard museum fare ?

3) Restaurant recommendations for Old Town Alexandria ? (remember, we will have little ones, so foodie options are probably out)

4) anything else I should know ?

thanks
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 08:47 AM

hi surfmom. One big recommendation is to use Priceline in DC over Thanksgiving. We go every other year and stay over Fri and Sat nights, to meet up with family for Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday.

I bid for 2 rooms for 2 nights. The price was very low. When we arrived, we found they'd given us 2 connecting rooms, 1 with a king bed and 1 with two queens (maybe doubles). It was perfect.

Check www.biddingfortravel.com to see what people are winning for that time period.

There is a greek restaurant on the main street of Olde Town Alexadria that our family likes. Look for blue and white to find the restaurant. The last time we were there was 3 years ago, so I am guessing it is still there.

We usually go to a museum on Sunday. Last year, it was the Spy Museum. Probably too old for your kids, though. No crowds on Sunday, but Fri and Sat may be more crowded.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 08:53 AM

The hotel we stayed at last year was the Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill. There is a win on Priceline (for early Nov) for $75.

Right now the hyatt website rate for 11/2i is $109.

The hotel was pretty empty when we stayed there, so I think you could win a good rate for Thanksgiving weekend. Plus, generally, DC hotels on weekends are reaonable, compared to weekdays when everyone is in town.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 10:42 AM

The days after Thanksgiving are among the busiest of the year for museums.

The Marriott you are looking at -- is it Eisenhower Ave? If so, that is out by the beltway and two miles from the Metro Eisenhowe Ave metro station. I'd try to use my Marriott points somehwere closer to downtown.

Almost any other Washington area Marriott would be better located
In DC: Courtyard Embassy Row (16th and Rhode Island), the Residence Inn (22nd and P) are very well situated for you. Downtown, Navy Yard, ConventionCenter --all are right near metro stations and would be easy for one parent to return for a nap with the youngest while other continues adventure with older kid(s).
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 10:59 AM

I agree with kayd and would stay at a Marriott closer in, to be honest. If you're looking for a category 3 Marriott, there are several in Arlington: Residence Inn Rosslyn or the Courtyard in Crystal City would be two good options.