Reload this Page >

swimming beaches southern california late June

Old Jan 14th, 2009, 12:51 PM
bat
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read previous threads but would also like current advice for a beach suitable for swimming. I understand the water may not be particularly warm.

Prefer not to be in San Diego.

Considering Laguna Beach and Malibu.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 04:06 PM

It can vary, but I'm guessing the water temp in June can be in the high 60's. Most surfers wear wetsuits.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 05:14 PM
lvk

Yes, the surfers wear their wetsuits, but the tourists jump in with regular swim attire. I was at the beach (South Bay - L.A. County) this weekend, and was surprised at the amount of people in the water without wetsuits. Not only was the water temp. somewhere in the 50's, (although the air temp. was in the 80's) there also appeared to be lots of nasty looking algae in the water.

You might want to check the Heal the Bay Beach Report Card website before going. The Malibu beaches don't always get high sanitary grades:

http://www.healthebay.org/brcv2/

Laguna is fine. In L.A. County, I prefer Manhattan, Hermosa and Redondo over Santa Monica or Malibu.

Old Jan 14th, 2009, 06:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you haven't done much swimming off the California coast, you should learn a bit about rip currents and what to do if you're caught in one. Rip current are more common and stronger in California than anywhere else.

http://www.ripcurrents.noaa.gov/faq.shtml
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 05:17 AM

Pick any beach along the south coast. It will be really cold... as lvk suggests.

Should we mention the sharks? An infrequent concern... but still something to consider.

When you say swimming do you mean going out past the break and swimming "laps" or do you mean body surfing and just playing around in the water?

Old Jan 15th, 2009, 06:46 AM

Late June, you should be fine. The water has warmed up(mid 60s, high 60's -70s really dont hit until the South swells arrive) and the heavy surf normally doesnt kick in until late summer. Laguna Beach is full of coves that arent suitable for surfing, so its fine for swimming. All should have lifeguards too. Between Main beach and So Laguna there must be a half dozen beaches(I like Victoria) that would do. If you dont mind a small crowd, just go to Main Beach in downtown Laguna. Swim and shower then walk to some neat casual restaurants.
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 08:06 PM
bat
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies [no access to internet unexpectedly, hence the delay in acknowledging]--cold water, rip tides, sharks--sounds so appealing!

re what I meant by swimming--swimout and swim back in a protected cove setting [or parallel to the shore]

hmm, prior to reading the responses I had started to think Malibu so we could add museums and it seemed less crowded. Pictures of Laguna looked rather packed.

Was hoping to find a beach with hotels [preferably not mega resorts or high rises] on it [not across a road] so we could be oceanfront w/swimming that did not require driving someplace else.
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 10:37 PM

Laguna Beach should be lovely at the end of June, there are hotels right in the city and along PCH which are right on the beach, on the ocean side of the street. I have been swimming in Laguna all of my life and have all of my limbs and never have I seen a shark. Have fun.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 09:54 AM

Surf and Sand Resort in Laguna Beach sounds exactly what you are looking for..
Oceanfront hotel that is a boutique type with a great beach in front.

www.surfandsandresort.com
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 10:06 AM

ksucat,
Surf and Sand is a good rec. Isnt there also a newer resort where the old Treasure Island Mobile home park use to be?
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 10:33 AM

There is the hotel Laguna Riviera
http://www.lagunariviera.com/

and the Hotel Laguna
http://www.hotellaguna.com/

which are right in town.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 11:10 AM

I don't know what traffic in Malibu is like, but Laguna Beach is awful in the summer. I dread having to drive down there, especially on a summer weekend.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 01:32 PM
bat
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

FrankS and SeaUrchin--thanks for the more encouraging outlook. SeaUrchin--Any particular coves you like? [I'll check out your hotel suggestions.]

ksucat--Surf and Sand does look nice but it is too expensive for us. [$450 w/tax about our max]

Considering the Inn at Laguna Beach and the Pacific Edge Hotel [fka Vacation Village]. Pacific Edge indicated that they are on the bay south of the main beach as I recall--which might be preferable?

Marginal--thanks for the traffic advisory. If we locate there hopefully we would not have to drive--at least on the weekends. I imagine the beaches will all be packed on July 4th weekend.

lvk--that is a very informative website re water quality. I think we will decide whether we are going for a more beach vacation or a city/beach combo. If a city/beach combo then Malibu may still be a contender [in "dry" conditions the beach receives a good rating]. I looked at some of your other comments re Hermosa Beach and looked at the Beach House Inn--a little concerned about the 20 something college scene at night and highway access for LA sites.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 01:43 PM
bat
Original Poster

SeaUrchin--I went to the Laguna Riviera site and remembered it from my searching about a month ago--even then they did not have an "ocean front" [ie unobstructed views]room for our dates--but thanks.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 04:34 PM

I like Vacation Village, did they change ownership? I used to stay there often. They have rooms right over the sand.

I do like different coves but I don't know their names. I can check the street names that lead to them.