Swamp tours in New Orleans in Oct?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in NO in October for a few days and wondered about the feasibility of taking one of these tours. I have never been to NO before, or that area in general at all, so always like to see things that are popular , but also interested in seeing things that are typical of the area that might be off the beaten track. I will be staying in the Historic area, and will see things around there, and the Garden District too , but am wondering where time is not really plentiful if I should waste it on one of the swamp tours or plan that for another time?

Would be interested in hearing what others would say about any favorite tours, or any info about NO in general. Am really looking forward to the food, and the area in general.

I will be there about from Oct 22-25th, and also wondering if it will be Hot , or humid then?
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 07:47 AM

IMHO it is always hot and humid in NO (even when I was there in Feb).

By historic area I assume you mean the French Quarter. My only advice is to ask in your hotel which areas you should avoid and take the advice very seriously - there are some very high crime areas adjacent to the Quarter.

Have not been in several years - so can;t reco specific restaurants - but definitely find a real local place for crawfish etouffe - and you must have beignets for breakfast one am.
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 08:00 AM

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/la/new-orleans/crime/
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 12:13 PM

What's the historic area?

Define hot: it means different things to different people. If you're from Ireland, probably yes; if you're from Texas, probably no. And NOLA isn't always hot and humid. It is usually humid because it's a bloody swamp - the city sits below sea level.
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 12:14 PM

Google for swamp tours to see if any are available. They can be fun. Translators for the Cajun guides usually not provided.
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 03:48 PM

we did a swamp tour out of Beaux Bridge and really enjoyed it. You need a car to get there though. For only 3 days I'd just enjoy the city: Bonton cafe for crawfish etoufee (only open weekdays lunch and dinner), Magazine street, D Day musuem, Garden District, City Park....
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Yes, nytraveler, I did mean the French Quarter. I had read somewhere that some areas are not so safe, so will be sure to ask about the area. Will be staying at the Marriott so hopefully that area is pretty safe.

And beignets were certainly on the list ! I have never had crawfish so that should be interesting too. I wonder if they taste like lobster? Lots of unusual food to try for sure.

So I guess hot and humid are in order then. lol Are there bugs (like mosquitos) out at that time of year?

Thanks to those who replied!
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 05:00 PM

I have been to New Orleans over 25 times, at all different times of the year. Yes, it can be hot and humid. But that is not a given for every day and month of the year as some are telling you. I was there in April 2013 for the Jazz Fest again, and the weather was very pleasant all 6 days. Not hot, just right, and not humid. Never broke a sweat.

On this last trip In Aril 2013 I went on a New Orleans Cemetary tour. The concierge at the hotel I was at arranged it and the van picked me up at my hotel. It was totally fascinating and worth it. I learned a lot out the culture of death and burial in New Orleans, which is very different from anyplace else in the U.S. We visited some famous gravesites but the best part was learning about how the NO people are buried in their family crypts and the history' and procedure of that extremely weird process. Don't want to spoil it for you, but this was an awesome tour.
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 05:19 PM

Temps and humidity all depend on the presence or not of a storm in the Gulf . . It's not NYC so some will whine about it, but October is usually more pleasant than August . .

The quarter is very walkable and if you stay there, you have a good home base. In daylight hours, We enjoy the trolley to the Garden District and taxi to the WWII National Museum . .

Otherwise, almost everything you want to see about NO is in the Quarter.

The Marriot is on Canal, but the Quarter side of Canal St . . it should be good enough to get around . . we like to stay in the quarter, but it's personal preference.

Look for the "dive" bars and restaurants . . some of the best food in NO is not at the more famous places!

One of our favs is Irene's ( French ) http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/57/62093...ne-New-Orleans

And Deanies http://www.deanies.com/?gclid=CK6j2b...FZRj7AodbEgAEA

Both we prefer to the better knows places
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 05:20 PM

better known places . .
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 08:08 PM

Actually, October is considered to be the most pleasant weather of the year. It's why it's the most popular month for New Orleanians to marry.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 06:43 AM

>

Good gosh, never thought NYC weather fit anyone's ideal.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

emd3 I was thinking about a cemetery tour , so now for sure I would like to see one.
Rich , thanks for the eating tips..will see if we can fit those out of the way places into our schedule.

I don't mind inclement weather , stuff happens, I just hope there are no Katrina's in the forecast! On that note, does anyone know whether everything has been rebuilt, or are there still areas that have not been touched?
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 07:23 AM
BKD

beba, I live in NOLA and welcome. You have picked the absolute best time for weather in New Orleans. Should be in the 70's with (relatively) low humidity. The light is great that time of year.

If you have the time, definitely go on a swamp tour. Very enjoyable and very colorful people tend to be the guides, probably a Cajun. The swamps are beautiful and the fauna unique.

You may also want to go to some of the plantations that are less than an hour from the city.

Other tip is don't just stay in the Quarter. There's a whole world outside the French Quarter. I also recommend a national parks tour of the Garden District which I believe is free and probably the information more reliable. But venture farther Uptown on the streetcar past the Garden District. It's really beautiful.

Final tip is to go to Frenchmen St. for music. Although it's a short distance from the Quarter it's best to take a taxi. Bourbon St is where the tourists go and there's no good music there. All the good local stuff you can find on Frenchmen. Just tell the cabbie to take you to Frenchmen. He'll know where to take you.

Have fun!
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 07:24 AM

We took a half day swamp tour and really liked it! It was cool to be out in a boat on the swamp and see alligators. Cemetery tours are interesting. There's a nice aquarium, a river boat trip, and you can spend hours just walking around the French Quarter. Definitely try some crawfish, a hurricane at Pat O'Briens and pralines. My favorite pralines are Loretta's in the French Market.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 07:43 AM

>

That's why I chose October, almost 24 years ago.

We played "tourist" a year or so ago with our sons and did a cemetery tour (had never done one) and a class at the NO School of Cooking (surprisingly good).

As others have noted - the aquarium and WWII museum are great. And when uptown (Garden district), don't forget the zoo!
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 11:46 AM
BKD

Tally,

Don't look for crawfish in October! Not in season. If you get them they'll be frozen or worse, Chinese!
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 11:59 AM

Month with an r = OYSTERS.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone again for the great tips! Sounds like a great place to visit and explore. Very excited to see everything.

BKD I may have some more questions in a few days as I review more info if you are still around!
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 05:46 PM

Another thing about swamp tours... If you want to see alligators don't go if there is a cold snap. They are more active when the weather is hot or warm, or at the
least not cold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -