Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   SUV v. Minivan for national park summer driving or does it not matter? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/suv-v-minivan-for-national-park-summer-driving-or-does-it-not-matter-1054718/)

ccb213 Jul 7th, 2015 08:01 AM

SUV v. Minivan for national park summer driving or does it not matter?

I apologize in advance if this is a ridiculous question. We are renting a car to drive the LV-Page-Bryce-Zion loop (family of 5). We are traveling in the summer and the price to rent a minivan v. a full size SUV (with either rear wheel or all wheel drive) is virtually the same. Is there a recommendation for driving with an minivan or SUV or does it not matter at this time of year? Thanks.

doug_stallings Jul 7th, 2015 08:06 AM

You absolutely don't need an SUV for the four-wheel-drive aspect, but I can't imagine why you'd want a minivan either. If you have a choice, I'd take something no later than a compact SUV (like a Honda-CRV or similar). There's plenty of room for 5 people (even 5 adults) as long as you don't have a huge amount of baggage.

If you really do want/need a huge vehicle, then just pick the one you prefer.

janisj Jul 7th, 2015 08:07 AM

The main things you need are luggage space and superior <B>Air Conditioning</B>.

You don't need 4/all wheel drive. - get the best vehicle for the size/comfort of your family.

ccb213 Jul 7th, 2015 08:14 AM

Thank you! Appreciate the fast response.
Doug - trust me, I don't "want" a minivan, but trying to keep peace in the car for long distances with three recent teenagers can be a challenge - so a little extra space in the car - whatever car it is - goes a long way! :-)

november_moon Jul 7th, 2015 08:49 AM

I can understand the desire to have a mini-van on a road trip for the extra space, especially with 3 kids in the car.

I agree with janis - get the best vehicle for the comfort of the family. You can take any modern car to the places you are visiting, so the terrain isn't a factor in the choice of car.

doug_stallings Jul 7th, 2015 09:39 AM

I'd pick the vehicle that gets the best gas mileage. Gas can be more expensive in that part of the country than in, say, Las Vegas.

janisj Jul 7th, 2015 09:57 AM

>>I'd pick the vehicle that gets the best gas mileage. <<

Sorry, while gas mileage might be a consideration . . . IMO/IME the comfort of the three kids stuck in the back seats is MUCH more important both for them and for the folks up front having to hear about it . . .

Gretchen Jul 7th, 2015 10:53 AM

The larger the better and Doug must not have kids!! Or been in a small SUV, with all due respect. ;o)

wtm003 Jul 7th, 2015 10:57 AM

I've done many road trips with 4 kids. Comfort comes before gas mileage.

cdnyul Jul 7th, 2015 02:52 PM

Minivan.

Nothing beats a Grand Caravan for comfort and conflict resolution.

Mark

ElendilPickle Jul 7th, 2015 02:54 PM

Whichever one has good air conditioning (front and back A/C controls if at all possible). You will probably get better gas mileage with a minivan.

Lee Ann

happytourist Jul 7th, 2015 03:11 PM

Putting three kids in the back seat for a long road trip is a recipe for disaster. Just get anything that has three rows of seats.

You definitely will not need 4WD.

basingstoke2 Jul 7th, 2015 06:13 PM

Having driven long distances with kids, a minivan is the way to go. Space and separation trumps everything. For several years we had a full sized conversion van and that was best of all. The only reason you may need a 4WD is if you plan to do some of those roads where a high clearance 4WD vehicle is required. If you don't have experience with such roads, on the job learning is not the way to go.

janisj Jul 7th, 2015 07:05 PM

>>The only reason you may need a 4WD is if you plan to do some of those roads where a high clearance 4WD vehicle is required.<<

Plus rental agencies don't usually allow their cars on those types of roads . . .

lindagj Jul 7th, 2015 07:06 PM

I believe driving a rental car off paved road is a no-no.

ccb213 Jul 8th, 2015 06:21 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Minivan it is - as extra space generally equates to more family peace in the car - which far outweighs some of the other considerations for us! Thanks again to everyone!