Suttle Lake Lodge(Oregon) report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spent last weekend at Suttle Lake Lodge close to Sisters Oregon and just wanted to give a little report about it.
We stayed in 3 of the lake front cabins- they are kind of pricey ( $350/nt) but very nice and comfortable. The lodge is beautiful with a big wood burning fireplace, bay windows overlooking the lake, lots of games and books. In the evening there is a free wine tasting for the lodge for guests (not the cabin guests) and also an included breakfast in am. At this time no dinner available at the lodge but restaurant opening next month.
Its close to Hoodoo ski area so we did some downhill, cross country skiing and some snow shoeing. There was a full moon so did a moonlight snowshoe- very fun. Sunday we walked part ways around the lake ( an easy trail). Saw some osprey and several nests. Was told they frequently see otters but none that day

We had a great time and would certainly recommend it as a place to stay.

Right now there is a special going on - pay for 2 nights/ get the 3rd night free. Unfortunately, we werent told about the special beforehand so no one was able to take advantage of it.

There are other cabins to stay at - some more rustic and 1 right on the lake with private boat dock- that has been restored- however it rents for about $500/nt so dont think I will be staying there soon.

Hope some of you will have an opportunity to visit- you will enjoy
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 05:01 PM

Thanks for sharing, sunbum. I spent a lot of time camping there as I was growing up, so I have a soft spot for Suttle Lake. The area is beautiful. Glad you got to enjoy it...wish I was there.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 05:21 PM

sunbum and mms, how would you rate the hiking in the area?
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 05:44 PM

cmcfong--There is a lot of great hiking in the area! Way too many options to start listing here. An easy hike is the Black Butte one, but I really like it because 1) you can see the devastation from the fires a couple years ago and views of Suttle Lake and 2) on a clear day at the top, there are markers to tell you all the different peaks you can see from here. But there are so many great trails, it just depends on what you are looking for.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:28 PM

A group of four couples have been doing hiking trips for a number of years. We did Whistler, GTNP, Yellowstone, Glacier and most recently Idaho. We like all day hikes with moderate challenge, great scenery and at the end of the day comfortable lodging and great food(OK, I will admit it we hike with the food as our goal....). DH and I were in the Sisters area some years ago and thought it beautiful. Sounds like a place to put under consideration for our next big trip. Right now Switzerland (thank you, Enzian) and Lake O'Hara in BC are at the top of the list, but I like choices. Thanks for the information.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:47 PM

cmcfong--Well, there is plenty to meet your needs in this area, lol! Another great area to stay is Bend or Sunriver. Fantastic hiking, but with luxury lodging.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

cmcfong- As mms said, there are lots of great hikes in the area from very challenging to easy - you could climb one of the Three Sisters ( challenging)
or do Iron Mountain where there are over 300 varieties of wild flowers in July and a 1200 ft elevation gain.
I grew up in the prairies of Canada and I am so thrilled to now have all of this at my back door.

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 08:09 AM

Sounds like you had a great weekend, sunbum. Until they closed the restaurant, we used to stop at Suttle Lake for lunch on practically every trip to central OR. Is the restaurant opening next month in the Lodge or the building at the small marina, where it used to be?

Yes, there is lots of good hiking in the area. Good lodging too. But, unless you go to Bend, not too many choices right now for great food.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

The restaurant is opening in the marina again- I loved eating there too. One night we were sitting there having dinner and 2 eagles were fishing for their dinner right in front of us. It was great!
There is a restaurant fairly close by at Black Butte Resort and a couple in the Metolius/Camp Sherman area but will be great to have the one at Suttle Lake reopen.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 08:26 AM

Thank you, sunbum and mms. Great information! I fell in love with Bend some years ago and would enjoy a return trip.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 08:46 AM

sunbum, loved your report! you make me sorry we won't be here much longer...
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 08:55 AM

I definitely agree with the Sisters hikes! The South Sister is my all time favorite. It is 11 miles r/t with 5400 ft elevation gain, so a long day, but oh so worth it! We will be doing that again in July...can't wait!
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 10:06 AM

mms, would you mind posting some pictures from your hike? Also could you share the names of the luxury accomodations to which you allude? I do like a bit of self indulgence after a good hike.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 10:32 AM

cmcfong--I won't post pics online, but I don't mind emailing them. The River Lodge at Sunriver is fantastic. When we go as a family, we rent a home, but one year when we wanted to stay an extra night we stayed here. I have also stayed here several times with a girlfriend when we did girls trip. The Sage Spring Spa is very nice, and just a short walk from the lodge. My SIL says I must go too often since when I go in there I get hugs from several people, lol!

We have relatives that live at Sunriver, but they have had guests stay at several of the B&B's in downtown Bend and said those are great also. Drake Park is a nice area to wander around, and downtown Bend has some great little stores and restaurants.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Thank you, mms. This is great info. I appreciate it.