Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Surprise Anniversary Trip to New Orleans - Need Some Advice!

Old May 12th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Okay, so on the advice of a friend, I've changed my plans and now plan to surprise my wife with a weekend in New Orleans (sans kids=woo hoo!) to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary.

I'm looking at staying June 2-4, so I need two nights lodging, some restaurant and activity recommendations.

I've been checking out all the travel websites and read several postings here, but I haven't found the right hotel yet for us.

Here's what I'm looking for (though all may not be possible!):

Prefer walking distance and safe walking to the French Quarter. I don't see us taking any tours or trips, so we'll probably walk around a lot, eat, and perhaps look at antique shops, etc. I've looked at some B&B's that were removed and would require a cab, and while one of my wishes is someplace memorable and distinct, I think ease of walking around will be key.

Next, this needs to be relaxing and somewhat romantic (at least at times). I realize it's going to be hot, so I'm thinking someplace with a pool would be great for mid-afternoon when it is most hot/humid.

Third, many of the well-reviewed 4 and 5 star hotels look like most every other hotel we've stayed in. The photos on several websites look very dated, too. We don't order room service or need much from the staff, but we want someplace that feels like we're in New Orleans and is clean! My wife will require a tub, and would love some sort of jetted tub/hot tub, but it will be warm and I can certainly live without.

Is there one high-end hotel that meets that comes to mind that is updated and doesn't look like it is geared to guest much older than our (late)thirty years?

Finally food and activities:
I've read several threads about restaurants and I've seen many of the same names pop up. We'll do two dinners, two breakfasts and a lunch or two. So far I plan to look at Restaurant August, Bayonas, Emeril's NOLA, Jacques Imos for dinner(?), ACME, Mother's, Commander's Palace for lunch(?) and Petunia's for breakfast. We'll probably do Cafe du Monde (sp?) since we stopped there on our last trip to New Orleans early in our relationship.

Lastly, apart from walking around, I'd like to consider at least one romantic or nice activity. When I started looking at the Ritz, I thought that a spa treatment would be a nice thing to do during the hot afternoon, but can we get such a thing if we don't stay at a hotel with spa services? Maybe a dumb question...

Are there any other nice activities to consider for an anniversary celebration?

Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions! I feel like my wife is missing out on half the fun of anticipating and thinking of all the possibilities. Sorry for the long post!

Old May 12th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Shoot, forgot something already. I'm sure price range should be mentioned. It looks like most hotels have rates for this weekend between $100-$200, with many closer to $100. A couple of nice looking places have suites, etc. The Soniat House and a few others are over $250 if memory serves. This is still well below what I expected to pay when I thought we were going to Manhattan, but it would need to be really special to pay so much when everything else (including the Ritz) are so much less.
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:53 PM

My husband planned a trip to NOLA for our 20th anniversary, and he chose the Windsor Court. I thought it was perfect. Terrific Sunday jazz brunch, and delightful champagne tea every afternoon! We had a junior suite with a sitting area, large bedroom with a flatscreen TV that rose out of the footboard when we wanted it, and a big bathroom, which I think had a jacuzzi. Roof top pool. It is not in the French Quarter, but an easy walk (Cafe du Monde en route). We thought the location was very convenient, yet quiet at night.

Yes, you can go for a spa treatment at the Ritz even if you don't stay there. I'd book it before going, though. If you don't know exactly what she'd like, just book a regular facial, massage, or body treatment so she has the time in the right department.

We didn't do an "extra," romantic activity... But once I returned I did hear of a beautiful plantation nearby that has tours. The pictures looked like "Gone with the Wind" oak trees lining a long pathway. I'm sure someone here can name it. That might be nice!
We also got tickets for a perfomance at the Marsalis jazz club Snug Harbor. And we LOVED the Jazz Vipers at the Spotted Cat across the street.

Enjoy! I'm sure she'll be delighted.
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Ike

Mimidwest........surprise your wife and stay at The Ritz Carlton. They have a fantastic spa and room rates are really competitive now. You can walk out the back of the hotel and hit Bourbon St. just one block away. And Jeremy Davenport plays some great music in the FQ Bar. I love that hotel. The Windsor Court is just down the street and a great choice but you must cross Canal and walk several blocks to FQ and WC does not have the spa like the RC. I love NO and travel there two/three times a year. The RC is my favorite. Do your self and surprise your wife with a great trip there. Galatoire's is one of the finest restaurants in the U. S. and it's just around the corner two blocks away. Go to Bayona and Peristyle in the FQ and Emeril's and Delmonico's in the Warehouse Dist. Good luck.
Old May 12th, 2007, 09:01 PM

I've stayed at the Windsor Court as well, although pre-Katrina and it was lovely. The afternoon tea was terrific and the pool area was nice with fresh fruit and lemon water available. You cannot go wrong with a Ritz Carlton, either, though. Both places would make your stay memorable when you mention it is your 10th anniversary. We spent our 10th at a Ritz and were sent a delicious chocolate cake to our room. Happy Anniversary!