Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   SUPERBOWL IN KAUAI (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/superbowl-in-kauai-141768/)

Monica Jan 5th, 2003 05:10 PM

SUPERBOWL IN KAUAI

Hello All: We are vacationing in Kauai from 1/22-1/30. Have been to Big Isle, Maui &amp; Oahu...can't wait for the most beautiful Garden Isle. Not too sound shallow, but we are diehard football fans. Any suggestions on best bars to watch Superbowl on 1;/26 on bigscreens in bars...Kal, the expert on Kauai, maybe you can provide a suggestion? We are staying at the Radisson. <BR><BR>Thanks to all and Happy New Year, <BR><BR>Monica

x Jan 6th, 2003 08:48 AM

Monica, Kal is in Kauai right now so you'll have to wait until he returns for an answer from him.

Needle Jan 6th, 2003 10:32 AM

I have found that most &quot;TRUE FANS&quot;-those that analyze each play and &quot;understand&quot; what is going on- prefer to watch the game in relative silence. Your hotel room would be a nice fit.<BR><BR>If you are looking more for a party where the emphasis is only superficially on the game then go to the bar. Liquor is not a prerequisite for having a good time watching and enjoying a football game. Is that what you're after?????

xxx Jan 6th, 2003 11:16 AM

needle you sound like an idiot.<BR><BR>IT IS A GAME

why Jan 6th, 2003 11:18 AM

I find that the only people that truely appreciate the sport have dip snacks instead of crunchy sweet snacks.<BR><BR>Are you looking to be a true fan and have a dip snack then I suggest you go with onion dip. A crowd favorite and easy for the little misses to make.

MADD Jan 6th, 2003 11:21 AM

Brethren,what wud a SuperBowl be without booze,prey tell?Isnt that whats its all about after all?But maybe they dont sell liquor in Kaui,or Hawaii.

ttt Jan 6th, 2003 11:24 AM

I know a lot of true fans. There are a couple of rules they follow.<BR><BR>First small picnics off the back of station wagon outside the park. You and your friends bring their own franks and brews. If you can not get tickets fine but don't think about going on vacation! What will the team think? Or are you one of those superficial football watchers? How do you sleep at night knowing that you are not up to the task intellectually to analyze those plays.<BR>

cath Jan 6th, 2003 12:16 PM

There is a new sports bar at the north end of Kapaa called The Shack. I haven't been yet, you may want to check it out when you arive and see if it looks suitable!

Frankie Jan 6th, 2003 12:43 PM

Okay, here it is. People that go to bars to watch the game generally don't want to watch the game. They want to go somewhere and talk and catch a play here or there. They are not serious about the sport--they are more casual about the game. There is NOTHING wrong with that, just don't confuse them with your intense sports fan/analysts. You either are or you are not.<BR><BR>I don't see how anyone could watch a full game at a bar and know anyhting in depth about it.

x Jan 6th, 2003 12:53 PM

Frankie, it's called multi-tasking.

TryThis Jan 6th, 2003 01:11 PM

Frankie - <BR><BR>Being &quot;intense&quot; or &quot;serious&quot; about a sport, in my mind, actually involves PARTICIPATING rather than passively watching. While I've done my share of sitting on the couch with friends and family yelling at my alma maters' players as if they could hear me (as embarrassing as it is), I'd hardly call it being &quot;serious&quot; about a sport. The 15-20 mile marathon training run I would have done the morning before the game is something I would consider intense. My afternoon of being a sedentary sloth dissecting a football game from my sofa with a bag of chips and a beer is anything BUT intense - and to consider it as such is pretty pathetic.

x Jan 6th, 2003 01:17 PM

Ugh this is ridiculous. Have you ever really watched TV in a hotel room? Talk about dreary. It's not like ebing at home and having your own comfy furniture to sit on. In a hotel room you can choose between the bed and the chair in the corner. I think a sports bar or any other location is a great idea when you're on vacation. Better yet, buy a portable tv and plenty of batteries and sit on the beach or at the pool and watch it!!!! Tiny screen but great location.<BR><BR>We found that the pool bar at our hotel had a TV and everyone was watching the football games while at the pool.

t Jan 6th, 2003 01:19 PM

wow this is starting to get heady

Monica Jan 7th, 2003 06:22 AM

Oh boy,ask a simple question and people twist it into every direction. Cath, thanks for your suggestion. As for you so-called football fans, to each his own. I guess I agree with the multi-tasking comment and I'm one of those. I can watch a game either in complete silence or a bar...I was merely asking for suggestions outside the hotel environs. Since we're on vacation, we may as well experience it in a bar atmosphere. I am one that DOES NOT prefer to stay in a hotel room during a vacation. Of course, given the time differences, if it's a great beach day, we'll probably pass on the 1st half anyway, so there you go...

Susan Jan 7th, 2003 06:30 AM

When we were in Kauai, we had lunch in Brenneckes across from the beach. They had several tvs with sports on. I can't think of anything better than watching the game on one side and looking at the beach on the other. Have a great time. We will be going in April. Can't wait!!

Sue Jan 7th, 2003 06:39 AM

I second the idea of Brennecke's. It's on Poipu Beach, by the way.

Gooey Jan 7th, 2003 08:25 AM

Why not try Duke's at the Marriott, Keoki's Paradise in Poipu. The bar at the airport in Princeville had a sign saying they carried all the NFL games live, and that can be early in Hawaii. Best bet is to try and go to a couple of places and see what the layout is like and make your decision from there. Have fun in Kauai.

Monica Jan 7th, 2003 09:18 AM

Just checked in on responses and now I have some ideas! Thanks to all...yes, I've read about Brennecke's, so given that it's beachside and decent eats, we may head south.