Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sunshine Scooter/Electric Car rentals, Key West, FL (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sunshine-scooter-electric-car-rentals-key-west-fl-878422/)

Fran_Schreiber Feb 18th, 2011 07:38 AM

Sunshine Scooter/Electric Car rentals, Key West, FL

I just got through reading a post regarding A & M Rentals of Key West, FL. I have had an experience with them also, but that is not the reason I am posting now.

For almost two weeks, I have had my broken electric scooter at Sunshine Scooters in Key West, FL. It will not move. So, I was told to bring it there by the company I bought the Scooter from as they are a local mechanic I can rely on. I did just that.

There were many problems. Wrong parts being delivered, delays, the mechanic working on other stuff after I personally handed him $250.00 cash (be advised that I am on Social Security Disability and that was all the money I had in the world. It took me almost 18 months to save the money to get the electric bike/scooter. I have an x-treme Model XB610, one of the best they carry.) Anyway, yesterday I was told to return it, but being the electrical components were touched I don't know if my warranty will be honored. Plus, it is now, today, sitting in a back room, in pieces, after many attempts to reach them by telephone to tell them that I know what is wrong with it after speaking with X-treme to confirm same.

I went there today. Some large man with a bandana practically physically grabbed me after the mechanic told me to get the serial # I requested off the bike. Well, it was in pieces. I couldn't get to the serial number because of fear of loss of parts.

The problem is a simple one. I have NEVER pedaled the bike to get the throttle to engage properly. I just used the throttle. Therefore, something blew out. When I mentioned it to the mechanic I was basically just told what I wanted to hear. I told him I would call him this afternoon. After all, it is only a throttle kit replacement. No revolutions of the "windmill effect", in other words, no revolutions, no power. The revolutions creates energy to the throttle, ergo, the bike will run.

It is STILL NOT FIXED. I feel like my chain is starting to get yanked. Be aware though, everyone has been very nice to me to accomodate my disability, I even was given a "loaner" to use. But, now it's in pieces being ignored. I want to know when it will be fixed as eventually the loaner will have to go back and if it is not fixed, I will be housebound.

Any suggestions how to light a fire under their rears?

Thanks.

tomfuller Feb 18th, 2011 10:26 AM

I feel for you. You could try the BBB bbb.org
If that does not work, try the Florida Consumer Protection agency. I won't give anybody that much money up front for repairs & parts. They probably have a Mechanic's Lien on your scooter so they can hold it until you pay what they say you owe.

sobster Feb 18th, 2011 07:29 PM

How about asking the police or the district attorney for advice.

gail Feb 19th, 2011 06:47 AM

"the company I bought the scooter from...". By any chance did you buy it from the Scooter Store?

NewSunshineOwners Feb 26th, 2012 09:44 AM

Jon and I feel so bad for what you went through with Sunshine Rentals of Key West. That company has been sold and we are the New Owners. We have changed the name to SunShine Scooters, Inc. Please visit our Website. We bought the company 2 months ago (December of 2011) and we're working very hard to change the reputation of the previous owners. We have excellent mechanics and will treat you with the respect you deserve. Please stop by and meet us. We can guarantee that you won't be disappointed with any future service needs. Thank you and we wish you all the best! Jon & Sherry :)