Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   sunsets on Cape Cod/MV (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sunsets-on-cape-cod-mv-614859/)

Yanni May 11th, 2006 02:12 PM

sunsets on Cape Cod/MV

Hello:
Is there a nice/quiet place to take in a sunset on the Cape or Martha's Vineyard? I imagine that the outer cape must offer some beautiful views of Cape Cod Bay.

I plan on proposing to my girlfriend during june/july on a weekend getaway.

wyatt92 May 11th, 2006 05:07 PM

Ooohhh...sunset at Gay Head in MV would be fantastic!

bookhall May 11th, 2006 05:41 PM

Madaket, on the western edge of Nantucket, has a reputation for some awesome sunsets....

Gene May 11th, 2006 06:15 PM

Skaket Beach on Cape Cod Bay in Orleans can have some spectacular sunsets especially at low tide when the water can recede over a mile.

On the road to Skaket Beach is the Captain Linnell House Restaurant voted the "Most romantic restaurant on the Lower Cape" by readers of Cape Cod life magazine.

Maybe you can combine watching the sunset with dining at a very romantic setting for your special night.

If you are unable to get reservations at the Captain Linnell then a good plan B would be the "Old Jailhouse Tavern" also on the road to Skaket Beach.

Gene May 12th, 2006 05:11 PM

Oh, I forgot to tell you, if you're not too tired the next morning you can get up early and watch the sunrise over the Atlantic Ocean at Nauset Beach also in Orleans.

yellowbyrd May 12th, 2006 05:38 PM

Or go to Fort Hill to see the sun rise. There is a little spot at first Encounter Beach in Eastham....walk up to the right of the first parking lot, past the legend that tells about the First Encounter. Keep going up the dune and you will come to a secluded little sandy knoll that is not well known. (Shhh...don't spread the word!) Sunset there are fabulous..and the spot is good for a smootch!

amandaamanda May 22nd, 2006 01:55 PM

Menemsha beach at sunset in Martha's Vineyard.

Sunsets big like Hawaii
Waves you can touch
Soft sand

Gay head beach may be good too like above user says... but you should scope out how to get there first...

Liam Jun 14th, 2006 12:05 PM

Rumor has it that Herring Cove Beach in Provincetown has pretty spectacular sunsets. While I visit regularly, I have never been to see the sunset there.

Part of the legend is that it is the only place on the east coast where you can see the sunset over the Atlantic since that part of the Cape hooks around and curves back in facing west.

yellowbyrd Jun 16th, 2006 08:33 AM

The only way the sun sets over the water on Cape Cod is over Cape Cod Bay...so whether you are in Sandwich, Brewster, Orleans or Provincetown, the sun will set over the Bay....which I guess you could call the Ocean.... but usually we reserve the ocean designation for the East facing waters of the Atlantic. The neat thing I think you are referring to about Herring Cove Beach is that, because it is at the end of the Cape, you can see both the sunrise over the Ocean and the sunset over the Bay from the same spot! This is the only place on the Cape you can do that! In Eastham, for example, you can watch the surise over the Atlantic but you need to move 3 miles to the west to catch the sunset over the Bay. Pretty neat, huh?

charlesaf3 Jun 16th, 2006 09:59 AM

Menemsha on Martha's Vineyard would be perfect. And there are several areas on the Vineyard where you can watch the sunrise over water and set over water from the same place - I'd imagine that's true of Nantucket, know that's true of wood's Hole, and imagine that's true of Chatham as well

NatureGirl19317 Jun 16th, 2006 12:05 PM

Dear Yanni,

Good afternoon! If youre looking for a breathtaking sunset: Menemsha, Menemsha Menemsha!! Read “NatureGirls Marthas Vineyard Trip Report” for a detailed account of my anniversary trip to MV (including our experience with the Menemsha sunset)!!

Also, if you choose MV check out “Best of the Best: Trails on Marthas Vineyard” which includes AWESOME detailed information about the entire island from some extremely helpful and knowledgeable posters (thanks again)!

Hopefully those threads will help you.

Have a wonderful time!

Sincerely,
Carrie

alex33 Jun 16th, 2006 02:57 PM

June and July is not really sunset weather in New England. Winter is better, but don't wait until then to propose.;-)

kgk52 Jun 16th, 2006 04:22 PM

I agree- Menemsha, Menemsha, Menemsha. I am looking at the gorgeous Photos we shot last summer and can't image anything that would be much better.