Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sunniest place to stay in Kauai (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sunniest-place-to-stay-in-kauai-1282546/)

cindy2 Apr 23rd, 2017 04:30 PM

Sunniest place to stay in Kauai

My husband and I plan to visit Kauai this summer. We have flexibility as to when we go. When is the sunniest time and where is the sunniest place to stay if we definitely want to veg on the beach part of the time.

Feedback appreciated!

Kathie Apr 23rd, 2017 05:25 PM

The south shore (Poipu area) will be the driest and sunniest. Indeed, the average number of days with rain in that area in the summer is one or two per month.

Have a wonderful time! Kauai is my favorite island.

Songdoc Apr 24th, 2017 05:52 AM

Poipu is indeed the driest, sunniest part of the island. But during the summer it should not be an issue. Most of the rain on the North Shore (during the summer) falls at night or during very brief showers. It would be rare to have a full “rainy” day anywhere on the island during summer months.

When people look at rainfall statistics it appears that the North Shore gets much more rain than the South. That is true. But the statistics don’t show that a great deal of that rain falls during the night. It would be easy to look at Kauai North Shore (i.e., Princeville) weather reports and panic, thinking it rains all the time. But I’ve learned that “showers” often means 5 minutes of rain, followed by spectacular rainbows--and “cloudy” can mean a few puffy white clouds against a blue sky.

I’ve been staying on the North Shore at different times throughout the year for the past 12 years, averaging 2 - 3 months a year. I love lying and walking on the beach and taking nature walks. I would NOT keep going back to the North Shore if it rained all the time.

That said, some people love Poipu and the South Shore. I’m not one of them. Different strokes for different folks. For me, the lush beauty and the dramatic mountain peaks of the North Shore are what makes Kauai magical. For me, Poipu is more generic “beach resort.” For me, there’s nothing on the South side that compares with Hanalei Bay, Tunnels, Ke’e Beach, Lumahai Beach, and Anini Beach. But again, that’s just one person’s opinion.

If you do stay in Poipu I hope you will allow several days to explore the beauty of the North Shore.

ChiSue Apr 24th, 2017 06:54 AM

We visit Hawaii in winter and have stayed Poipu many times. If we did NOT come Jan. - Mar., I would be booking North Shore in a shot! However, there are more options for lodging in the south -- you may be too late for much choice up north.

Inakauaidavidababy Apr 24th, 2017 08:10 AM

In my experience during summer the north shore is preferable for the occasional passing shower in the afternoon and overnight, and preferable ocean conditions. The south is a better winter destination if you are avoiding rain and high surf. In the summer the south can get quite choppy on occasion.

jamie99 Apr 24th, 2017 11:24 AM

Actually the sunniest part of the island is probably the West Shore but there is very limited lodging and dining options there.
September is always a great month to be in Kauai and the ocean is much calmer up on the North Shore.

cindy2 Apr 24th, 2017 11:35 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Do you think the St. Regis would be a good choice (if we don't mind paying) in terms of pool and beach access?
I've read some mixed reviews about it.
Comments? Other suggestions?

FaceInTheCrowd Apr 24th, 2017 01:07 PM

The St. Regis is the class of north shore resort properties, but I've read elsewhere that it's being put up for sale, which might affect your travel plans. https://tinyurl.com/l9lu374

But to us, Princeville and Poipu Beach feel too much like tourist reservations, kinda the reverse of Native American reservations. Admittedly, we're not "resort" kind of people, but we've found that, especially on Kaua'i, we have a better experience in a vacation rental. with your budget, you should be able to find a nice cottage or small home on/near Hanalei Bay or farther west around Haena. For our money, whether raining or not, the sunniest place on Kauai is here: http://www.halemakaicottages.com/orchid-cottage-3/.

Kathie Apr 24th, 2017 02:37 PM

If I wanted beach acres, I wouldn't stay at the St. Regis. It is located high above the beach with lots of stairs to get down to the water.

If you want a hotel rathe than a rental, consider the Koa Kea - a lovely small hotel on Poipu.

Dukey1 Apr 25th, 2017 12:44 AM

I would read ALL the reviews of the establishment mentioned..and I do mean all of them. Yes, I know all those TA reviews are "fake" according to one long-term poster here but still...

ChiSue Apr 25th, 2017 10:53 AM

There's speculation that Four Seasons will buy the St. Regis and spend a year refurbishing it. Beautiful views, but it sure needs attention. I've sometimes wondered if there's a big enough labor supply (and housing) on Kauai for something that 'ambitious'.

Kal Apr 26th, 2017 01:51 PM

Only guarantee on Kauai is there <i><b>isn't</i></b> a guarantee when it comes to weather.

I had friends go over in the summer for 10 days and it rained 7. We've gone in the Winter for 3 weeks and it rained one day.

Remember if it is raining on your side of the island doesn't guarantee it's raining ALL over the island.
We stay on the <i>ugly</i> Coconut Coast and if it's raining there we'll pack up and head to the Westside. Salt Pond and Kekaha.

rachelb6082 Apr 21st, 2021 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Songdoc (Post 12955632)
Poipu is indeed the driest, sunniest part of the island. But during the summer it should not be an issue. Most of the rain on the North Shore (during the summer) falls at night or during very brief showers. It would be rare to have a full “rainy” day anywhere on the island during summer months.

When people look at rainfall statistics it appears that the North Shore gets much more rain than the South. That is true. But the statistics don’t show that a great deal of that rain falls during the night. It would be easy to look at Kauai North Shore (i.e., Princeville) weather reports and panic, thinking it rains all the time. But I’ve learned that “showers” often means 5 minutes of rain, followed by spectacular rainbows--and “cloudy” can mean a few puffy white clouds against a blue sky.

I’ve been staying on the North Shore at different times throughout the year for the past 12 years, averaging 2 - 3 months a year. I love lying and walking on the beach and taking nature walks. I would NOT keep going back to the North Shore if it rained all the time.

That said, some people love Poipu and the South Shore. I’m not one of them. Different strokes for different folks. For me, the lush beauty and the dramatic mountain peaks of the North Shore are what makes Kauai magical. For me, Poipu is more generic “beach resort.” For me, there’s nothing on the South side that compares with Hanalei Bay, Tunnels, Ke’e Beach, Lumahai Beach, and Anini Beach. But again, that’s just one person’s opinion.

If you do stay in Poipu I hope you will allow several days to explore the beauty of the North Shore.

We plan to stay in Princeville in End of Thanksgiving week. Any recommendations or what is the weather like during that time?
Thanks

Songdoc Apr 21st, 2021 09:23 AM

Late November is a transitional time--and the weather can't be guaranteed. That said, I live in Princeville, and we had beautiful weather this past year all through December. From mid-Feb. through March it was terrible--wind, storms, and clouds. April has been gorgeous.

rachelb6082: What kind of recommendations are you looking for? Beaches? Hikes? Walks? "Activities?"