Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Sunglasses(for travel and my ultra sensitive eyes)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings~ although I am able to keep cellulite at bay, I need your advice for sunglasses.. my eyes are not holding up as well, and unless I find time to go through state trooper training(those dark police ones are so appealing), I need some advice.

Which brand are you loyal to, if any?

Anyway, in all seriousness, I'd appreciate some help. J.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 08:08 AM
GoTravel

I have found Ray Bans to work the best for me on the beach. I bought my third pair of aviators this spring since 1983 and I'm devasted that I've lost them. My middle pair I had for 11 years.

I love sunglasses.

Maui Jim provides an excellent lense.

I also have Chanel, Versace, Gucci, and Prada sunglasses.

My Ray Ban Aviators are my hands down favorite.

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 08:14 AM

I have Maui Jim, Dior, Prada, Chanel and Persol. The Maui Jims are the best for the glare. They're polarized and come in many styles.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 08:16 AM

J-
We bought "Optic Nerve" polarized sunglasses for use on the motorcycle and general use. They are great! I have light colored eyes and am sensitive to sunlight and we have plenty of it here in SW and these are really good.

We paid $40 for them in a shop in Telluride CO, but I am sure they are available elsewhere. www.nerveusa.com

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Debi~ the light really bothers me more and more this past year.
I frequently ride my bike, and in winter, I ski, so I'm looking to invest in a couple new pair.
I've been a little abusive to all the ones I've had previously, but I'll try not to scratch any new ones(have that issue with cd's too,lol)..
thanks all, J.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Ray Ban is always reliable brand, but it's more about how the lenses are made than any particular brand.

I've taken old frames that I was particularly fond of back a friend who's an optician and had him put in plain tinted lenses. Then, I know they have the UV filters and other protection that your eyes need.

A quality optical store is a good place to start. They can advise you and their prices are usually comarable with other retailers. If not, you can always thank them for their advice and shop down the street for a better price.

Another advantage of an optical store is that you can pick any frame and have it made into sunglasses.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 09:24 AM
GoTravel

I wear Ray Bans strictly because of the lenses.

I spend a lot of time on the beach and the lenses help filter direct sunlight and the glare that bounces of the sand and the water.

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 09:37 AM

I strongly recommend polarized lenses. They usually cost a little bit more but are definitely worth it for eye care.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 09:43 AM

when i was younger and more hip...i loved Revo sunglasses. Indeed, they are great. But I just got some Rayban prescription glasses and I have never been more pleased with anything! Every time i put them on I am amazed at how good they are. I have the plastic frames that sort of wrap around, and they are great on a boat...although I wear them for everything. They don't loosen or slide around.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

great suggestions and I appreciate them all. J.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:37 AM

I encourage anyone who has even the slightest flaw in their vision to get specially made prescription sunglasses with polarized lenses. One of the mall places (Eyemasters maybe?) made mine for around $200. They are better than HDTV.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 11:45 AM

Ray Bans are tops not question...but DH and I both have a habit of losing our sun glasses and would really be upset losing Ray Bans that are $$.

The Nerve ones are really good and I have managed to hang on to them for almost a year now. And if I lose them, $40 doesn't seem too bad.

Debi
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 02:21 PM

The best sunglasses for most uses (not skiing or tennis) are Serengeti Drivers Lens. The best. Bar none.

A friend was a rep years ago and I've used them for 20 years. I have older ugly ones in drawers for guests who forget their glasses. Once you slip the sunglasses on, your eyes actually go "aaaahhhhh!!!".

The difference between them and any other lens is absolutely amazing. It's been years since I've gotten them as samples for virtually nothing - and I safeguard them - but replacements at $100 a pop are the best money I've ever spent.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Nice to have such a range of ideas. One of my older friends keeps suggesting Blue Blockers, ha ha.. but hey, if they work!(and she talks to cows all day, so that's probably enough).. J.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 02:37 PM
SAB

I have found that Maui Jim's work best for me for glare problems, especially when driving.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 02:46 PM
iceeu2

Gotta go with starrsville on this one...Serengeti Drivers by far. Like you, I have a pair that is about 20 years old, but I love em...frames aren't too cute these days.

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 03:14 PM

I wear prescription sunglasses, so they are not a particular brand, but I always have them tinted like Serengeti's. That reddish-brown seems to give excellent definition.

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 05:14 PM

jet:

I'd suggest blublockers, blocks out blue rays of the sun and they give a golden amber tint/color so that even in gray weather they brighten your surroundings. I have non prescription blublocker glasses and a clip on one too to put on my prescription glasses.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 05:33 PM

Hi Jet,

I ski, hike, bike and live at high altitude. I also wear hard contact lenses. I've never found anything better than Oakley "M" frames, what you see on the Tour de France riders. Not so fashionable, but light as a feather, stay up on your nose, polarized to cut glare, and shaped to prevent wind in the eyes.

Expensive, but I'm worth it! 8-)
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 05:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have prescription lenses, so I just buy frames I like and then spend a fortune on lenses. My newest frames are Kate Spade's which were on sale at Nordstrom's during the Anniversary Sale! I discovered that you can't get polarized lenses as dark as non-polarized, and I like very dark lenses.

My son swears by Oakley and wears then ALL the time.