Sundance Film Festival

Jan 9th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Sundance Film Festival

I won a trip to Sundance Film festival, and don't know what to expect. What is there to do beside watch films? We have tickets for 3 films (1 each day) should I try to get more? How many can i realistically see in one day. Are the shuttles good? How long does it take to get between theaters?
Jan 10th, 2005, 11:35 AM

Lucky you Bev!

There is much to do besides films. Galleries, restaurants, hot air balloons, snowmobiling, dog sledding, snowshoeing, x country and downhill skiing. Skiing during Sundance is great, because the slopes are uncrowded.

The shuttles are excellent, but travel time will depend on which venues you are traveling between. You should also plan to be at each film 45 minutes before start.

You can try to get individual film tickets at the box office the morning of the screening, or you can get in the wait list line at the venue. Success in the wait list line will depend on how popular the film is and when it is shown. Early morning films are usually pretty easy to get in because all the PIBs (People in Black) are hung over from the all night parties.

The most films I can handle in a day are 3, but some people see 5 or 6. Usually people who operate on lot of caffeine.

Note: It's very hard to get into Main Street restaurants during Sundance. Advance reservations definitely needed and most of them have special "requirements." Meaning a set menu, set price ($$$$$$$$) and a limited time allowed to sit at the table (2 hours).

Try the restaurants away from Main Street.

Good luck and have fun!
Jan 10th, 2005, 11:39 AM

Bev - I am so very jealous!! I would bring my lawn chair and sit on the corner and stare at show biz people all day!

Have a great time!
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:37 PM

We went the past two years and had a wonderful time. You don't say what days you are going, but the second weekend is less crowded. The shuttle bus is easy to use. They have lots of volunteers directing people. It is relatively easy to use the "wait" lines to get in at the individual theaters. I would recommend that over the 4:00 a.m. lines that form at the main box office for that day's tickets. The larger theaters that have more seats might be a better bet for those like Eccles or Egyptian. But we have also had luck at the smaller theaters like Holiday. Don't just go for the blockbusters but try documentaries and shorts programs too. I have done as many as 4 films in one day, but it is easily doable 2 films a day as films start as early as 9:00 in the morning and as late as 11:00 at night. The sundance website has lots of good information (www.sundance.org).

Park City of course has skiing and there is a lift that originates right in downtown. I'm not a skier but enjoyed immensely a tour of the ski museum and the bobsled and luge runs from the 2002 Winter Olympics. You learn a lot about how these events works. Guides who give the tours are usually olympic-caliber athletes and so getting a chance to learn more about their lives and training is very interesting. It's just outside town near the Canyons ski area, I think there are regular town buses there, although we had a rental car because we rented a house with a large group of friends outside town.

Other than that, though, I wouldn't have a rental car for the trip. Parking is more restricted than usual during the event and the free shuttle buses are fast and frequent. Or in a pinch you can always find a cab, for 8-10 bucks.

For less expensive eating we have enjoyed the local brew pub, can't remember the name but it is on main street just up from the Egyptian theater. Also a storefront Mexican place and a cafe place (eggs and sandwiches) in the shopping center where the Holiday theater is (and the Alberts grocery store there too which is huge and like all modern grocery stores has good take away food and a Starbucks inside).

Enjoy Sundance. It is a great and well organized event.

(And dress warm in layers. At most theaters the waitline is outside (but not all, like Prospector).
Jan 16th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi
Sorry i haven't responded before this. Things have been really hectic, trying to get this trip tied up. Thnaks for your reply. Do you remember how long is needed at the ski museum to see everything without being rushed? We are meeting a friend, with a car, but he has a 2 Pm movie. I'm excited!
Bev
Jan 17th, 2005, 11:39 AM

Bev,

You should allow at least 2 hours for the Utah Olympic Park. It's a must see. Pay the extra $2 for the full tour. You get to go to the top of the ski jumps (via shuttle) and look down. That alone is worth it! There will usually be athletes practicing and often competitive events too.

The last weekend in January is the Freestyle Championships at Deer Valley, evenings. Bumps & Aerials. Fantastic spectator event!! Free for general admission (walk up and stand), $65 for VIP grandstand plus goodies.
Jan 10th, 2006, 09:34 PM

Where are you staying?? We are going for the first time this year and are staying at the Westgate at the Canyons. We did rent a car but are hoping to use buses and shuttles. Should be fun!! Babs
Jan 11th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Hi Fletcher,

I don't know if you noticed that this post was last year? Anyway, try to use the free shuttles, although service from/to the Canyons to town are less frequent. Don't even try to park anywhere except maybe the Eccles - IF you go about an hour prior to your film time.

I live here, so lodging isn't an issue for me, thank goodness!
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:07 AM

Dayle, I am a long posting Fodorite who needs a small favor in advance of arriving in Park City Jan. 25 for a few days of Sundance again. I messed up purchasing my tickets and didn't choose "federal express" instead of "will call" but I need them in advance so I can attend an 8:30 am film Thurs. Jan. 26 when I only arrive very late Wed. Jan 25. I already emailed and phoned Sundance and phoned the concierge at the Marriott Summit Watch where we are staying but none can help. Any other suggestions? In Chicago where I live we have "errand service" companies who will do things like this for a small fee but I am not familiar enough with Park City to know if there is something similar.
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:11 AM

If you ordered "will call" then why can't you pick them up at the will call window before the event?
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:30 AM

I dont' fly in until 10 pm Wed. night and the first film I ordered is 8:30 am Thurs. morning. The box office in Park City isn't open that late and is only open starting at 8:00 am Thurs. I know long lines form, people waiting even overnight to get tickets that are released each day (I have done it in past years!) And you have to be in your seat 15 minutes before the film starts or risk your seat being giving to those in the "wait" line at the theater. So it is impossible for me to pick up my tickets Thurs. morning and still get to that first screening. I know, I am an idiot for not following the directions on the website in ordering tickets, but Sundance has told me it is "impossible" to change the instructions now and I was just trying to see if there was a service (or an eager local fodorite, hint, hint) who for a small fee could stop by the box office at a time in advance of the festival, when it wouldn't be too busy and pick up my tickets and drop them in a prepaid federal express envelope I would send. Sundance has told me that a "proxy" can pick them up with a signed release letter from me, naming him or her specifically and enclosing a photocopy of my credit card. The concierge at the Marriott wouldn't do it, citing "liability" reasons.
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:35 AM

Well, a google search located 3 such "errand" or concierge services. Perhaps you could give one of them a try -

http://www.parkcityinfo.com/dining/services/
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:49 AM

You are great! I now have telephone numbers for several errand services there in Park City. I'm sure one of them can help. Thanks so much.
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:20 AM

I have been in contact with Errands n Such in Park City. They are going to take care of it! I will report back for all you Park City fans as the do all kinds of services for vistors and second homeowners, such as pick up and deliver groceries, etc.

Jan 12th, 2006, 10:51 AM

Glad it worked out. Let us know how the 8:30 am show turns out!
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:29 PM

Hi Laurie Ann,

Sorry I couldn't help earlier, I've had an extremely busy day at work and a hair appointment tonight (you know how it is!) so am just now taking a Fodor's moment!

Glad you got the problem solved. I lucked out this year and got all the films I wanted. So, what are you seeing at 8:30 am? Our earliest is 9:15, but the rest are in the afternoon and eve.

Looks like it will be a really great year! Although I'm going to have to do the wait list line for "Friends with Money".

Have fun!
Jan 19th, 2006, 09:28 AM

Got my tickets! I do recommend if you need anything in Park City or nearby, the services of ErrandsnSuch, run by Susan Mellen. She charges $20 per hour, primarily she does grocery shopping and delivery and similar errands for those arriving from outside to stay in condos and homes. She was great to work with. 435-783-5471 is her phone.
Jan 19th, 2006, 09:31 AM

laurie ann, I'm glad it worked out so well. Thanks for giving us an update.
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:30 PM

This may sound silly because I haven't done any research..but can you purchase movie tickets to Sundance weeks in advance? If so..how?

We are going to DV in 2007, mainly for the skiing, but thought what the heck. If I can get them in advance without waiting in long line in the cold..then maybe we will go to a movie or two!
Jun 16th, 2006, 05:08 AM

The website is www.sundance.org. It is probably a bit early but by late summer they will have specific information about ordering tickets and ticket packages. In the last couple of years you had to register on line, pay a small convenience fee, and then you would get a time slot to go back on line a couple of weeks later to order tickets. That all happens Oct. to Dec. or so. You can also purchase tickets in Park City at their box office I think starting the week before through all the days of the actual festival. It is also possible to purchase from others who can't use their tickets and you will see little posters made by people offering tickets stuck up in the box office. The box office has been in a little business and retail center downtown Park City. Getting tickets is pretty competitive but getting lodging during that time is even more competitive. Places have minimum day requirements and high rates. So hope you already have your place to sleep!