Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Sun City to Sedona and Grand Canyon day trip itinerary?

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:43 AM
sam
Original Poster

DH and I are visiting MIL in Sun City in Nov. and would like to take a day trip to Sedona and the Grand Canyon. Any itinerary ideas, tips, tours, places to eat, must-see's?
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:08 PM

In my opinion, you could do one or the other, but not both, in a day. Sure, you can drive that far that fast, but it's barely worth the trouble then.
We used to run up from Scottsdale pretty often, but as I said, doing both becomes an endurance thing.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 05:33 PM

BBQBOY is right -- that would be SOME day trip. Only one way I can figure you could do it.

Leave at 2:00 AM and drive straight to the GC. About 230 miles, 4 hours. You get ther just in time for breakfast, and to see the sunrise. Look around until about 10:00 or 11:00 AM. Have lunch then drive to Sedona. About 110 miles, 2 1/2 hours. Look around Sedona (don't bother with the town itself, just the surrounding scenery) until sunset, have dinner, leave around 8:00 PM and drive back to Sun City, getting there around 10:00 PM.

So it is doable, but I sure wouldn't recommend it. A better plan would be to stay overnight at the GC, then down to Sedona for the day, then back to SC
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 07:09 AM
sam
Original Poster

Thank you both for the replies. I have to agree, and won't try going. My MIL just offered us her timeshare for a week in 2006 in Sedona, so I will wait until then. We'll need to pick a week by January. Can anyone suggest what time of year/month to go?
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 12:17 PM

IMO, September and October would be the best months. It "usually" starts cooling down in September (after mid-month would probably be best), and October should be cool enough for any outdoor activities. November can be OK, but can sometimes get quite cold (by Arizona standards). April and May can be good, too. But Spring weather is just less predictable.