Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Summertime attractions along I-70 in Kansas and Colorado (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/summertime-attractions-along-i-70-in-kansas-and-colorado-101693/)

SLW Jan 23rd, 2001 09:52 AM

Summertime attractions along I-70 in Kansas and Colorado

We'll be driving in June from Illinois to Arches National Park (3 days) as a start to a month long driving vacation. Can anyone recommend any things to stop and see along the way, to give us an hour or two as a break in the drive. We have relatives in St. Louis, so have done everything there. We plan to stop at the Harry Truman Library near Kansas City for a quick visit. Is there anything in the western half of Kansas or Colorado (other than Denver) not far from the highway? Are any of the ski resort lifts open in the summertime? I've tried to look on the internet and not found success. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve Jan 23rd, 2001 10:58 AM

If you are looking for a ski area not too far from I-70, you cannot do better than Vail. It is built right next to I-70 about 100 miles west of Denver. Very nice pedestrian only village with many good shops and restaurants. There is usually one chairlift or gondola open in the summer that will take you halfway up the ski mountain. From there you can enjoy incredible views and some hiking if you like. Bring your lunch along and have a picnic up top. There are other ski areas close to I-70 but Vail is the best of them.

deb Jan 26th, 2001 02:13 PM

Limon (halfway between western KS border and Denver) has a very interesting Heritage Museum. Locals have worked VERY HARD to make it worth your while. It's behind the TownHall on E Avenue (two blocks south of the traffic lite in the middle of this small town). In Burlington, just inside the CO border from KS, stop and see Old Town and/or the antique Carousel. There's also a very nice B&B in Stratton, CO, a short distance west of Burlington, called Claremont Inn. All are right on I-70 and worth your time. Have a safe journey!!

Larry Jan 26th, 2001 03:43 PM

Sorry if this turns out to be a duplicate but my first response went into virtual space? Arches is GREAT. Allow lots of time for the area & don't miss Canyonlands (Island In The Sky District) and Dead Horse Point State Park. Drop me a line & I'll send some more info on the area - too long for here.

gb Jan 26th, 2001 06:28 PM

We like Glenwood Hot Springs, about an hour past Vail.A great pool to soak in for a great break. There is some good Mexican food at the restaurant past the pool with a big plastic frog on top of it. Aspen is about a 45 minute from Glenwood Springs.

MMS Jan 26th, 2001 07:34 PM

I second Steve and GB above. A good itinerary would be to arrive in Vail noonish, have a picnic lunch at the top of the Gondola, stroll around Vail and then head to Glenwood. Glenwood really is a lovely little town with nice restuarants and the BEST HOT SPRINGS POOL ANYWHERE! We always try to spend at least one weekend a year there. IMHO I would plan to spend the night in Glenwood. See the town, stroll along the river, go to dinner, relax in the pool, go to bed, get up early and enjoy a great breakfast at the "daily bread" restaurant and then head out on your journey. If you have a chance the Maroon Bells - Beautiful and often photographed peaks - are between Glenwood and Aspen. There is a lovely park with nature trails etc. at the base of the Maroon Bells. This is a beautiful area in the summertime and well worth the side trip!! Aspen is a charming town to visit - but it really doesn't have much more to offer than what you would see in Vail and Glenwood combined. <BR>Anyway - just my thoughts - Have a great trip!

Patrick Jan 26th, 2001 07:57 PM

I agree about Vail being a good break. While we are on the subject, can anyone tell me if the lifts still operate the last week in September? I have looked at two Vail websites and can't find that answer.

mms Jan 27th, 2001 06:47 AM

After Labor Day, the lift schedules change significantly at all the resorts. Some close them down completely and most of the remaining run a shorter schedule just on weekends. We have been told at different times that the lifts would be open, only to arrive and find out that business was so slow that they closed them. I would call Vail and ask, and then I would be prepared for them to be closed anyway. Also, while autumn is usually one of the most beautiful times in the Colorado mountains, it is not uncommon for for them to get their first major snowfall sometime after September 15th. ONce that happens the lifts will most likely close until the ski slopes open.

joan Jan 27th, 2001 07:48 AM

About 25 miles before Vail is another fun town called Breckenridge. It's 9 miles from the Frisco exit. It is a quaint little village with fun shops and restaurants. In fact this area has several ski towns that offer a lot of fun summer activities.

angel Jan 27th, 2001 12:05 PM

Since you're seeing the Truman Library, maybe you'd consider the Eisenhower museum, library, etc. in Abilene. Nice place...nice little city. <BR> <BR>If you have an interest in Catholic churches, St. Fidelis -- the "Cathedral of the Plains" -- in Victoria, Kan., would make for a nice, quick, leg-stretcher. Was one of the biggest churches west of the Mississippi when it was built. <BR>