Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Summer vacation South Dakota and Wyoming - Appreciate your advice!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling solo to South Dakota and Wyoming July '08 and could use some of your good advice. I've never been to these places before, and I'm looking fw to exploring the sites and not rushing from place to place. However, I like to keep a steady pace and see lots since I don't know when I will ever return.

Sat - Arrive Rapid City airport early evening and ? stay in Keystone - not able to get Sylvan Lake Lodge until next nt.

Sun - Mt. Rushmore all AM - probably do a NP ranger program and stay for several hrs. Wind Cave in afternoon and possibly Big Thunder Gold Mine - I would like to pan for gold - corny, I know, but would like to experience this! Any advice? Reservation at Sylvan Lake Lodge. 9 PM -? Crazy Horse Memorial for Laser Show - do you recommend?

Mon - Badlands NP for most of day w/ Minute Man Missile tour (will have reservation) afternoon and stop at Wall Drugs. Back to Sylvan Lake Lodge. Mt. Rushmore for evening lighting ceremony.

Tues - Jewel Cave, Crazy Horse Memorial to see in day/museum and enjoy rest of day at Custer SP. Back to Mt. Rushmore if want to see lighting ceremony again in evening. Sylvan Lake Lodge

Wed -Deadwood (? 1 hr bus tour of sites - is this worthwhile?), drive thru Spearfish, on way to Devils Tower for 1+ hrs. Heading to Cody, WY so I90 to 14 and ? 14A for scenic drive. This looks like a long drive - freetrip.com est. 14 hrs?? Looking at B&B or other interesting place to stay in Cody rather than basic hotel close to sights - ? Mayor's Inn.

Thurs - Buffalo Bill Museum all day; Rodeo in PM. Stay in Cody.

Fri - Buffalo Bill Museum if didn't see it all, ? other sites, and maybe even return to rodeo for 2nd nt. Stay in Cody.

Sat - ? heading to Red Lodge via Beartooth Hwy and spend nt here vs. another nt in Cody. I've been to YNP w/ my boys and love it so another thought is to spend the day driving into the park and out ne entrance to Red Lodge. I enjoy windy roads and BT sounds like a beautiful drive.

Sun - Late morning flight in Billings so need to be at airport 9:30-10 for flight back to east coast and reality!

Appreciate all your advice. I've read lots of postings but still have questions as I try to work through some details. Thanks for your time!
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 09:41 AM

Seems to me that in SD as you are lodging at Sylvan lake lodge, your itinerary is long...long.
I.e, Monday : Missile range/Wall and badlands, back to Sylvan lake and light ceremony : it's too much for one day...
Sylvan lake is quiet but because it's at the far end of the road in Custer park...
Select one or 2 options maximum per day and it will be fine.
Erik
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 09:49 AM

I know a lot depends on what you enjoy doing and how you spend your time, but I took a solo trip to South Dakota last year, and I'd also advise cutting down some of the activities and driving.

Custer State Park is lovely, but some of the roads are narrow and twisting and not something you can rush around. There is a straighter, easier road to Sylvan lake though,if you want.

But I loved the "wildlife" loop (that's not it's real name, but I'm forgetting the real name now), through Custer. Great to drive slowly and see the animals (and worth doing at some different times, since you're likely to see different things).

I'd also recommend some of the shorter hikes in Custer, nice to see something instead of driving by quickly.

From my own opinion, I don't think you need that much time at MT Rushmore, It was interesting to see, but it didn't take that long.

I really enjoyed the Badlands and think it's worth the trip, but it's a longish trip (and there is often construction which might slow things down).
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, monpetit.I had wondered about spending the nt in the Badlands vs. driving back to Sylvan Lake so this seems to be your recommendation. Wonder about driving to Badlands NP on Sunday late afternoon (after day at Mt. Rushmore and Wind Cave) to spend the nt and be there for Monday. Monday Badland NP, Minuteman site, quick stop at Wall Drug on leisurely drive mid/late-afternoon for Sylvan Lake and wait until Tuesday for the evening program at Mt. Rushmore. Better?
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 09:53 AM

One clarification on my answer above, I'd probably plan on doing just Badlands/Wall drug in one day and not doing Rushmore that day. If you do get back early, maybe take the walk around Sylvan lake or do another loop on the Wildlife tour. Seeing a big herd of Buffalo on the move was definitely one of the highlights of the trip for me.

Take some time in Badlands and do one of the short hikes.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Good ideas, Travelkitty. I loved the wildlife in YNP so I'm looking fw to seeing more at Custer SP, a short hike or 2, and lots of photos. What do you think of my idea for staying at Badlands NP and cutting out a couple of the evening programs? I know I may not need as much time as expected at Mt. Rushmore, but I've been wanting to go there for a couple of yrs so want to make sure I take my time. I'm an early riser so I'll be there when it opens and ready to roll! Thanks for your advice.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 11:11 AM

A possibility :
-night in rapid city on saturday, with a diner at the Corn exchange
-sunday : Rapid City/Wall/Badlands(some of the hikes are easy and need to be done..)..
back to Keystone/Custer Park and sylvan lake and it will be a full day...
-monday : Wind cave/Custer the town and crazy horse on the late afternoon to have the laser show after diner here.
-tuesday : wild life loop on the early morning/Keystone and Mount rushmore.
(I'm not a fan of the light ceremony...).If there is a nice musical at the Black hill playhouse it will be nice or a diner at the game State lodge.
-wednesday , you have to choose between Deadwood(so so..) and devil's tower(+++) and then I cannot give you any advice as Wyoming is on the 2009's schedule...
We have had 2 summer vacations in SD but we stay here...2 weeks each year and have not be able to do everything we want to do...but we are hikers...
In cliking on my name you'll find my trip reports and some adress(dining, lodging,...).
Erik.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 11:14 AM

I agree with most of the other comments but I wanted to add one: Deadwood. It is a small town & I think if you make a list of what you consider highlights, you can just park the car & walk around at your own pace. You do not need a bus tour. The only time you will need a car is to go to Mt. Moriah cemetery and/or the Tatanka Museum. We had fun in Deadwood & we were able to get it done in a day. The night before we did attend the re-enactment of the shooting & the trial (which are only offered at night).
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 11:38 AM

I like Monpetit's schedule, particularly the idea of doing the Badlands from Rapid City on the first full day,and then driving back to Sylvan Lake Lodge.

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

So much to do and so little time! Thanks for all of your suggestions, but it raises more questions. I have heard & read wonderful reviews of the Corn Exchange Restaurant, but I think I want to get out of Rapid City quickly but may reevaluate this. No one has mentioned the Minuteman Missile site near Wall. This isn't high on the agenda, but I may never be here again and thought it might be worthwhile to see. Any thoughts? If so, it is only open M-F and that is why I had Badlands NP and Wall w/ the missile site on Monday. The light show at Crazy Horse - which I did read some of your other posts, monpetite, you liked more than Mt. Rushmore - is only on Sat/Sun. I arrive Rapid City at 7:30 on Sat., grab bags and rental car and MIGHT be able to see Crazy Horse or Mt. Rushmore the 1st nt, but thought this would be expecting too much. That is why I thought Keystone vicinity on Sunday w/ Crazy Horse show that nt. Guess I may need to eliminate the gold panning!

Badlands NP looks about 1 1/2 hr from Keystone or Custer SP. I enjoy hiking, but I'm never comfortable hiking by myself and I know it will be HOT during July in the Badlands so hiking may be minimal. However, I also want to get out and enjoy the park other than just behind the wheel. This day might be doable w/ round trip and not staying in park but need input on minuteman missile site.

Good suggestion of Black Hills playhouse - I did ck that out earlier and will consider. I think I will pass on the Deadwood tour and maybe drive to the cemetery as suggested to make sure I can enjoy time at Devils Tower. Deadwood and Spearfish may be a good place to stretch my legs, but don't think I'll spend anytime there now. AND, of course, I have to have time to eat some nice meals. Hummm - wonder where I'll work that in!

Keep the advice coming. I'm trying to rearrange like crazy here!
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:18 AM

If you arrive in the evening, best to stay in Rapid City and have the diner here and if you arrive in late afternoon, the President's statues can be seen on the streets and there is also an "historic" walking tour with nice old buildings to see.
The prairie edge worth the visit as indian artifact(to see, to buy...)
-www.prairieedge.com - and after a diner at the Corn exchange
www.cornexchange.com
There are controversial advices/Alex johnson hotel but the family suite is very nice and the souvenir shop is also nice.
www.alexjohson.com
After Wall on the way to Badland you can also visit the homestead house to see how the pionners live...
www.prairiehomestead.com
On the way from Badlands to Keystone/Custer...the little town of Scenic is a sort of "railway's ghosttown"...(on highway44).
In Badlands, the easy trails : windows, door,cliff shell and the
scenic road between wall and cedar pass...
At the foot of Devil Tower, the paririe dog town is one of the best to see and understand "their organisation".
Erik
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:36 AM

On your way to Cody after leaving I90 and climbing the Bighorn Mtns at Burgess Jct do take US14A. Few travelers take this scenic route. Most go thru Grey Bull on US14 to Cody. If at all possible make time and take the short mile or so hike to visit the Medicine Wheel on top of the Medicine Mountain.

http://www.uwsp.edu/geo/projects/geo...s/medwheel.htm

http://www.sacredland.org/history.html

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:16 AM

a mistake in my web adress :
www.alexjohnson.com for the hotel
and what I mean is as the family suite was nice choice for us, I think they have some nice choice for a solo traveller...
Erik
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:58 AM

I can't tell you anything about the Missile Site, since I didn't go.

As I think you've already discovered, there is a lot to do in this area, and it's hard to fit it all in (although you have a few more days than I did).

As tempting as it is to try to see everything, I'd still recommend picking the things you want to do the most and making sure you have enough time to really enjoy them even if it means skipping a few things).

For me the highlights were Badlands, the Wildlife Loop at Custer, Mt Rushmore and the road down (the scenic road down with lots of twists and loops and scenic overlooks - tricky to drive, but gorgeous)and a day hike at Custer that had some great scenery of the Black Hills. The natural scenery is really stunning, and it's great to take in the stillness and majesty. Of course everyone enjoys different things, and your favorites may vary. But I would strongly recommend doing the wildlife loop at least twice - the animals move around, so you'll certainly see something different each time.

And I did the trip by myself, so the hikes I mentioned are generally short and safe for a solo traveller. There's also a nice, gentle stroll around Sylvan lake which is a great way to stretch your legs if you've been driving a lot during the day.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Y'all are definitely helping me w/ my plans w/ all your suggestions. I had "assumed" I would go to Devils Tower thru Deadwood and Spearfish, but maybe I should eliminate those places and just head on Rt. 16 out of Custer. It will be a long day driving, but as Travelkitty said, I will have to pick/choose what to do. Devils Tower is a must and RedRock agrees on Rt. 14A to Cody. Again, I'm not sure where to get off of I90 - Buffalo and go Rt. 16 to Rt. 14E and then 14A or head to Sheridan and jump on 14 to 14A. Advice on these 2 decisions?

Cked out the Medicine Wheel website, RedRock - fascinating, but will have to decide on time when I'm close. It will be a long day driving. Travelkitty - You hit most of my main pts except I want to go to Jewel Cave and Wind Cave and Crazy Horse too - plus the evening lighting ceremonies. I loved the animals at YNP so I'm really looking fw to Custer SP and the wildlife loop. Monpetite - I can tell you really enjoy this area and know it well - Definitely the prairie dog village at Devils Tower (didn't know about this), and I cked out the different websites you suggested - Corn Exchange looks incredible! I will definitely spend some time on short hikes in Badlands and Travelkitty makes me feel better since she made this trip solo also w/o problems hiking.

I'm adding and subtracting and revising w/ your suggestions so I truly appreciate your input. I try to have my vacations "planned", but I'm always available for spontaneous stuff and can usually not do everything I want and have to pick but at least I know a lot of what is available in an area rather than arriving and then having to plan. This is fun for me - w/ your help! - and gets me excited. Plus traveling solo I am very safety conscious and being prepared makes me always feel safer. Thanks again!