Summer Vacation in Northern Michigan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are from northern Oakland County (family with two girls, 10 and 7)and are looking ahead to next summer spending a week on a Michigan road trip. We are planning on renting an RV and taking our little dog with us. First of all, what month would be the best (anytime during the summer vacation break is ok with us)? Secondly, is a week enough to hit the highlights? Third, what highlights would you suggest? We have been to Mackinac but it was several years ago (Loved it!) and my dh and I have been to Sleeping Bear Dunes (I'm sure my girls would really enjoy that). I was hoping to also maybe go to Michigan Adventures while in that area unless it's not that great of a park. Other suggestions???
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 03:24 AM

Is the fact that you are from "northern Oakland County" of any special significance? By the way, which state is that located in?????
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 03:54 AM

I think Ashley is referring to northern Oakland County in Michigan.

Ashley, since you want to go to Michigan Adventure, I would recommend that you concentrate on the Lake Michigan side. Holland has an awesome campground on a nice sandy beach. Saugatuck, Grand Haven and lots of little beach towns dot that area. As you said, your girls would enjoy the dunes. You could drive all the way up to Traverse City if you had the time.

Here's the website for Holland State Park:

http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandt...fo.aspx?id=458
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 06:07 AM
JJ5

I know all these places and love them. In Mears (Silver Lake Sand Dunes) and not too much South of Sleeping Bear, there are jeep tours that your girls would love. They also have rented jeeps to plunge down the dunes.

As for time of the year, my very good friend always goes the third week in June, because she says the bees aren't apparent as they are towards end of August or September. To me, all of June, July and August are tops. Lake Michigan warms up for sure by July.

There are tons of inland lakes they are really fun as well. Have a great time.

We have tried to do it all in a week and never have gotten past Traverse City these last two times. I could easily do ten days and not be bored ever.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 11:51 AM

Of June, July and August, I recommend June to early July and late August.

May & June is my favorite time of year for that area, but you may not have warm weather. Mid July - mid August some areas are crowded. For a compromise, look at the week following the 4th of July, or the 4th week of August.

No, a week will not let you hit all the highlights of the state, but would be enough for the upper portion of the Lower Peninsula and the eastern portion of the UP.

Start out on Lake Michigan around Sleeping Bear, heading north with visits to the Lelenau and Mission Peninsulas, then north along US-31 to Petoskey and along M-117 to Harbor Springs, the "tunnel of trees" and Cross Village. Continue up toward the Straits of Mackinaw with a stop along Sturgeon Bay
to enjoy the beach and lesser sand dunes. Cross into the UP to visit Tahquamenon Falls, Whitefish Point and Soo Locks. Come back to the Straits to visit Mackinaw Island and Mackinaw City,. Then continue south along US-23 and Lake Huron stopping at Ocqueoc Falls, Roger's City and Alpena.

There are lots more places to visit along this route. For example: other interesting communities, wineries, parks and lighthouses. If your family bicycles, there will be many neat opportunities along the way.

Keith
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At age 7/10, I was impressed by the virgin pines at Hartwick Pines St Pk, near Cadillac. Good insight to Michigan's lumbering industry in the 1870's. If you go to the UP and near Gladstone , Fayette St Pk is sort of a reconstructed Michigan pioneer village. Michigan Adventure, near Muskegon, is now owned by the Cedar Point amusement company--I'd don't think think they'll be doing a shabby job. They've been advertising a water slide (in boats?) for next year that, if I recall correctly, promised to be almost a mile long. You could check when that will be open.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 01:25 PM

The Double JJ ranch is very close to Michigan Adventure and offers RV camp sites. We have stayed numerous times in the Back Forty, which is suited for families. They offer a variety of activities for both kids and adults.
There website is www.doublejj.com

Silver Lake which was also mentioned is about a 10-15 minute ride north of
the Double JJ, which is located in Rothbury.