Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Summer trip to somewhere in the Outer Banks with 2 families/4 teens

Oct 20th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Hello - I'm looking for advice on where two families should vacation together in the Outer Banks. One family is from Massachusetts and the other is from Oregon and we've been vacationing together for the past 14 years. We've chosen the coast of NC for our destination for this coming summer and we're looking for tips from folks who've been there. Ideally, we'd like to stay in one house on the beach/water and we'd like plenty of activities to keep our 15 and 13 year olds busy. Thanks!
Oct 20th, 2009, 12:44 PM

You won't have any trouble finding a house to accommodate everyone as most of the houses there are huge. We were just on the Outer Banks in September and the house we rented had 7 bedrooms.

We stayed in Corolla, which is close to the northern tip of the OBX. It was pretty quiet that far up. We didn't really have a chance to explore south of the bridge but I think the areas around the bridge are a bit livelier than where we stayed. Our house had its own pool and hot tub and I believe every bedroom also had its own TV. We didn't have any teenagers with us so I can't comment on if they would have been satisfied with the activities available but my experience is that most teens are happy with the beach and being near others their age.
Oct 23rd, 2009, 09:56 AM

There are lots of home available.
Years ago we stayed with another family in one near Duck which had 2 master bdrms & 3 twin bedrms. The development also had a pool for when it was rough (or when the kids got tired of the beach) & a tennis court .
There is lots to do and, being from MA/OR you will be amazed at the water temperature. Surfing, windsurfing, kayaking, fishing, hang-gliding, pretty much every watersport except waterskiing (the sound is quite shallow s and though that makes it great for windsurfing, waterskiing can be hazardous).
Oct 28th, 2009, 05:40 AM

Go on to www.outerbanks.org and request a free Visitor's Guide and of course, search the web for rentals-------plenty to choose from.
Oct 28th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice! I've ordered my copy of the Visitor's Guide and I'm sure I will have more questions once I've read that. Thanks!
Oct 28th, 2009, 03:56 PM

I live in the area of Richmond VA, and many of my friends and neighbors vacation in the OBX. Most of them go to Duck and Corolla in the northern end.
We haven't been in years, but there are many rental places to choose from and large homes.
You can also look at Sandbridge VA which is about 20 minutes south of the Virginia beach boardwalk. It is all residential and yet close enough for the action of the boardwalk area.
Sandbridge is the last beach in Virginia Beach and in Virginia.
Just a thought. We went this past summer and we liked it a lot.
Oct 28th, 2009, 03:58 PM

Oh and we have two teens. Another area that is good with lots to do is Myrtle Beach SC or nearby Sunset Beach NC, close enough to MB without being there. We also liked Hilton Head SC for a family trip.
I know you picked OBX, which is great, but thought I would give you a few more ideas. If you are flying, some other places may be easier to get to or cheaper.
Nov 29th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Hi girlonthego! Thanks for the other options - we're totally open, so we'll check those out too!