Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Summer trip to Northern Cal with teens
Notices

Summer trip to Northern Cal with teens

Mar 14th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Summer trip to Northern Cal with teens

We are thinking of a late July trip to No. Cal with a couple teenage boys (15) and would like to visit S.F. and Yosemite and possibly hit Great America and/or a water park. Is there a good central place to stay that would allow us to do these things as day trips? Or would it be best to split it up and stay in/near S.F. for a few days and then move base? Thanks.

Second question - if you had about 6 days in that area with 2 teenage boys what are the "must sees" and "don't bothers"?
Mar 14th, 2013, 08:17 PM

Where are you coming from? Driving or flying in? You should split the trip up as no central location is worth the trouble.
Mar 14th, 2013, 08:38 PM

Great America can certainly be done as a day trip from San Francisco - it's about a 45 minute drive south (all freeway). Yosemite, however, is about 4 hours from San Francisco so you'd want at least an overnight there. You might want to look for Yosemite accommodations first, since they sell out a year in advance.
Mar 14th, 2013, 08:40 PM

Oh, and I think biking over the Golden Gate Bridge and touring Alcatraz are teo things teen boys might enjoy.
Mar 14th, 2013, 09:16 PM

You aren't going to find lodging in Yosemite during that time of year. sf307 is being optomistic about lodging.

How about going to an SF Giants game? The teenagers would love to see the defending World Series Champions play. Find a day game during the week if you can.

The Exploratorium should be up and running down the street (not next door) from the Giants Park. They aren't too old for that as there are enough things for any age. It's currently being moved and expanded to a new location.
Mar 15th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

We are driving down from Portland. I took a better look at a map later and realized Yosemite was a bit too far out - sounds like we had better plan that for another time.
Great suggestions for things to do in SF, thanks!
Mar 15th, 2013, 02:32 PM

My teen liked Great America. During the week there just aren't that many people there so fun times. ALso if htey like roller coaster nearby, Vallejo is Discovery Kingdom or in nearby Santa Rosa is Safari West.

http://www.sixflags.com/discoverykingdom/index.aspx

http://www.safariwest.com/

BTW I find lodging in Yosemite (Curry Village) during the week in late July so nothing is impossible.

www.yosemitepark.com
Mar 15th, 2013, 02:37 PM

Sorry I didn't mean to imply Safari West had roller coasters. It was a separate thought. Safari West just has animals.

Search this Thread