Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Summer trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/summer-trip-1136196/)

gohadoc Oct 13th, 2016 01:53 PM

Summer trip

My family and I are planning to drive from san Francisco to Chicago in August 16 we have 10 days to do this trip ,any suggestion?
My wife and I have four old children interested in wild and natural life.
Thanks in advance.

janisj Oct 13th, 2016 01:58 PM

10 days -- is that to Chicago and back?

gohadoc Oct 13th, 2016 02:07 PM

It is one way trip from San Francisco to Chicago.

gohadoc Oct 13th, 2016 02:20 PM

Our trip to USA will last 22 days starting August 16 by a flight from Cairo to San Francisco we are thinking to spend the first 10 days driving a round trip from San Francisco to Vancouver and the next 10 days to drive from San Francisco to Chicago where we will take our flight back home.
Any suggestion ?

janisj Oct 13th, 2016 02:58 PM

>>we are thinking to spend the first 10 days driving a round trip from San Francisco to Vancouver<<

10 days is not long enough for San Francisco to Vancouver and back. That is a 3 week trip by itself (assuming you want sone time IN San Francisco, Seattle and Vancouver/Victoria). With wine regions, the Redwoods, the coast, scenic areas around Seattle and Vancouver -- even 4 weeks would be good.

W/ your very short time (20 days total) I'd concentrate on northern California. Places like SF, Redwoods, Yosemite, Carmel, wine country and maybe a bit of the Oregon coast then fly to Chicago and spend your last 3 days there.

OR -- just do SF and then drive cross country through Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Mt Rushmore and finish w/ a few days in Chicago.

But you definitely don't have time for all of it.

gohadoc Oct 14th, 2016 01:04 AM

Thanks a lot for your advise.
Last summer we were in Los Angeles and we enjoyed driving to Las Vegas ,Grand Canyon and back to San Francisco across Yosemite and we are looking forward to make another adventure next summer!
Till me which option do you prefer and why?
Thanks again.

janisj Oct 14th, 2016 06:25 AM

I really don't have a preference -- both would be great.

But if I HAD to pick one I would do northern California and the Oregon Coast. You have already Yosemite so you can omit that. But, did you visit Carmel/Monterey/Big Sur?

If you haven't, then maybe 3 days in the Monterey Bay/Big Sur area, and 4 or 5 days on the northern CA/southern OR coast (redwoods, Mendocino, beaches, etc)

••• But if you have already seen a lot of the coast -- then maybe I'd choose a cross country trip to include Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Mt Rushmore, etc instead.

tomfuller Oct 14th, 2016 02:02 PM

I mostly agree with janisj for a change. Depending on the logistics of taking a California rental car into Canada, it might make more sense to drop the car in Seattle and take the Amtrak train or bus to Vancouver and back to Seattle.
While in the Seattle area, see Mt. Rainier and/or Olympic NP.
Seattle and Portland are starting points for the Amtrak Empire Builder which ends in Chicago if that interests you.
The area between Denver and Chicago is not that interesting to drive through IMO.
What is it that you want to see in Chicago?

gohadoc Oct 14th, 2016 02:28 PM

We are 6 persons,my wife and I and 4 children 21,18,18 and 16 years.so I assume a car hire will be convenient and cheaper! am I right?
However I'm now going into replanning phase.perhaps we will use the first 10 days driving from San Franco to Seattle across Ferndale,Bandon,trout dale then to Vancouver.and the next 10 days if possible driving from Seattle to Chicago.
Would that be feasible?

janisj Oct 14th, 2016 03:12 PM

"we will use the first 10 days driving from San Franco to Seattle across Ferndale,Bandon,trout dale then to Vancouver.and the next 10 days if possible driving from Seattle to Chicago. Would that be feasible?"

That makes more sense that trying to squeeze in a round trip to Seattle and back and then across country. Still a little rushed but much better.

To have space for essentially 6 adults and their luggage you will need a very large vehicle and a one way rental will be expensive. But that is just a cost of family travel.

tomfuller Oct 14th, 2016 06:09 PM

What is it that you want to see between Seattle and Chicago?
The question is whether you have to pay a big drop off fee on your large rental vehicle (van?).
The Empire Builder might be slightly cheaper if the younger ones can sleep in coach while you get a roomette or a bedroom.

marvelousmouse Oct 14th, 2016 08:39 PM

I'd do SF and then cross country to Chicago via Yellowstone, Tetons, etc. mostly because you seem like the road tripping type. And SF and Chicago are very different cities. So that with the national parks gives you a really good variety.

But if you like the coast, then do the other option, and maybe include Glacier National Park between Seattle and Chicago. Or Olympic NP on the way up to Seattle. I don't think you could go wrong, either way!

I'd consider, possibly, 2 vehicles, if you have 2 good drivers. It'd be more comfortable, I think. But it depends on how much you pack and how big everyone is.

janisj Oct 14th, 2016 09:14 PM

"I'd consider, possibly, 2 vehicles, if you have 2 good drivers"

My guess is that might not be an option -- the only two likely experienced drivers are the Mom and Dad -- the rest are teenagers or very young adults.

gohadoc Oct 15th, 2016 01:52 AM

Driving from Vancouver to Chicago apart from stoping by Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Mt Rushmore, what else? And where to stay overnight?

janisj Oct 15th, 2016 07:49 AM

"apart from stoping by Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Mt Rushmore, what else?"

Those will fill many days. Yellowstone alone you will want at least 3 or 4 days -- it is ENORMOUS.

"And where to stay overnight?"

Hope you don't mean a bunch of one night stops. These are not one-day-and-move-on sort of places. For August you will want to book especially in Yellowstone many months in advance. You may want two different bases for Yellowstone maybe 2 nights each.

janisj Oct 15th, 2016 07:50 AM

That should have said >>You may want two different bases for Yellowstone at least 2 nights each.<<

gohadoc Oct 15th, 2016 01:06 PM

Thanks again
May I ask you to make tentative schedule starting from Seattle ending in Chicago with the number of stops and how many nights each

tomfuller Oct 15th, 2016 08:54 PM

Leave the rental vehicle(s) in Seattle and take the Empire Builder overnight to Whitefish Montana. (4 in coach and 2 in a roomette).
Rent a car for 5 days in Whitefish and drive through Glacier and south to Yellowstone. Return the car in Whitefish and take the Empire Builder to Minneapolis-St. Paul.
Spend a night in MSP before taking the train into Chicago.