Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Summer Time and the Livin is Easy~ (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/summer-time-and-the-livin-is-easy-519869/)

Scarlett Apr 9th, 2005 11:45 AM

Summer Time and the Livin is Easy~

Ahhh, I love that song!
Now I don't know about your neck of the woods, but it is hot and sunny in Florida. Which makes me think of the long hot months ahead.
Which makes me remember the good ole summer days at the beach in Montauk or in California (that is waaay back in time)
So, my query today:
What are your summer plans and do they resemble those lazy hazy fun days of summer that you used to enjoy?

I will go first :)
We are renting a house in the Berkshire Mts of Mass in August. We will go to Tanglewood and Jacobs Pillow and see Summer Stock theater and buy stuff from Farm Stands and spend a day or more in NYC.
Pup gets to go too. I will be reminded of the days when I was a wee girl and we used to go to the Mountains in NC, it would be so cool and shady and we slept so well :)
Your turn!

seetheworld Apr 9th, 2005 11:59 AM

Okay, Scarlett, I'll play (since I'm taking a break from purging flood soaked stuff from my family room today ):( By the way, today is a beautiful spring day - lots of sun and temps around 60 ((#))

Summer...I usually relish my summers but NOT THIS YEAR! I will be sitting in a hot classroom from the end of May until the beginning of August. But the payoff will be BIG and will add a new and exciting dimension to my career!

We are trying to plan a trip to Arizona for a handful of days after my oldest son graduates from college and before I begin my classes so we can spend some family time together. Big changes in our house with the oldest moving on to begin his own new life. And my soon to be 19 year old baby boy...well, he's just living free and easy :D ...thinking of girls and perhaps a summer job.

My dear husband will be traveling on business to CA, TX, Canada, and Charleston (in August of ALL months) but that's where I might tag along. We are also talking about getting away to Bermuda again -- just the two of us.

We try and do a bit of entertaining over the summer - catching up with friends and such. We have a wonderful outdoor spa which I surround with potted plants and vibrant flowers...and the bar is stocked for those hot days and balmy evenings when we soak under the stars. In fact, it can turn out to be a little vacation...hey, thanks - I was feeling a little down but you know what, I might even go for a soak tonight :) In my own little oasis, everyday can be a vacation ((#))

Marilyn Apr 9th, 2005 12:05 PM

In June we will rent a weekend beach house for a small group of friends to celebrate Phil Flash's big birthday.

In July we will spend a few days at a conference in Dallas, then visit friends in San Antonio. I'm looking forward to meeting some fodorites there!

In September we will head for a conference in England, followed by a few days in Paris.

None of this reminds me in the least of the summers of my childhood, which is just fine. I have no nostalgia for hot, humid St. Louis summers!

seetheworld Apr 9th, 2005 12:18 PM

Oh, I forget to answer the question.

I was the oldest of 6 kids in my family and we rarely took a vacation. But we did spend lots of time swimming at the beach or in the pool. It was really the simple life growing up, except for when I went to Europe as a teen. A trip of a life time. Our family summer vacations are nothing like the ones from my childhood.

JJ5 Apr 9th, 2005 12:20 PM

In my childhood we never went on a vacation, we were immigrants and worked two jobs in summer. But I used to sneak off and take the 79th St. streetcar (and it was a streetcar for some of the way) to Rainbow Beach (79th St. South and Lake Michigan)about once a week but had to be back to start cutting ham or whatnot at 4pm. I do remember SO much a couple of afternoons when we had a lunar eclipse and the water was surfable. Also remember how burnt I got and peeled over and over again (terrible for skin's legacy.)

This summer I will be 4 days on and 5 or 6 days off (Michigan/Illinois) either at work or on my pier. Hopefully we will get a Detroit White Sox game and full 13 days in Michigan in there somewhere. I rarely go anywhere else in summer because I love EVERYTHING about this. We pick blueberries around the 4th of July, fish, garden, and entertain guests very often. This year we may go in group to Grand Rapids and a few other places for zoo, etc.

Nothing like summer on the lake, nothing, IMHO.

Scarlett Apr 9th, 2005 01:16 PM

seetheworld, what happened? I lost my internet Thurs so I think I missed your flood :O
I hope it is all dry where you are now..poor thing...definitely calls for a weekend away, a good drink, something!! I cannot believe you have a child old enough to go to college!
Marilyn, tell Phil Flash that 39 is not such a Big Birthday :D

Marilyn Apr 9th, 2005 01:30 PM

I'll pass that along, Scarlett. He's celebrated 39 enough times that you'd think he know by now. :S-

Scarlett Apr 9th, 2005 01:32 PM

I have had mine a few times but not too many yet :D

He can always start going backward now ((F))

tpatricco Apr 9th, 2005 01:45 PM

Aaahh...Summertime. ((#))

This Jersey girl spent her summers "down the shore" with weeks in LBI playing on the beach and soaking up rays. Now as an adult, a couple day trips to the shore if the weather cooperates is all we can squeeze in!

My best friend and I were lamenting this very thought last night over a couple glasses of wine.

This week in NJ brought a hint of summer with a couple days in the 70's. Today is beautiful 60's and we're starting what will be a summer obsession for DH & I...trying to turn our yard into an entertaining & relaxing oasis.

Looking forward to a June trip to the Keys with friends, a few days at Martha's Vinyard with girlfriends & a September road trip out to Kansas City, MO for a Volvo Club Meet. In between weekends will be filled with backyard bbq's & fires in our firepit, occasional day trips to the beach & hopefully some biking & hiking when we're not installing new sidewalks, patio & deck (eventual home to hot tub)and more landscaping...

indytravel Apr 9th, 2005 01:50 PM

Lazy, hazy fun summer days of my youth?

I don't really remember that. I remember summer school classes, mowing acres of grass, cleaning the house, maintaining a 1/2 acre garden, making sure dinner was on the table when my parents came home from work and taking care of animals on my parents' mini-farm.

By the way summer school was not because I failed a course earlier in the year. It was "encouraged" as a way to get ahead.

Ahhh, the sweet memories of my childhood. I thank God I'm a grown-up now.

This summer will be the usual. I shut down the travel bit and stay home to enjoy the 170 acre lake my house sits upon. Boating, swimming, relaxing and enjoying Indiana's relatively short summer has been my agenda for 15 summers now.

stellaluna Apr 9th, 2005 02:04 PM

i wish it was hot and sunny here all the time, but alas, we only get my favorite kind of weather a few scant weeks per year!!
anyway, in August we will spend a week on the Big Island of Hawaii. this will be the first time on this member of our favorite island chain and we cannot wait! loooong trip out and back, but so very worth it.....

carolyn Apr 9th, 2005 02:15 PM

High 70s in Kentucky today and for the past few days. Things are popping up and turning green almost like magic.

Instead of our usual family get together over Labor Day weekend, this year we are renting a big house on the beach near Destin, FL, in July of all months, but that is when the kids are out of school. This is for all 26-1/2 of us, the younger of whom will be in sleeping bags on the floor. Fortunately, we all really like each other.

I grew up on a farm, and our summers were spent picking blackberries and pickling, canning, and freezing garden stuff for the winters.

GoTravel Apr 9th, 2005 03:12 PM

The summers of my youth were spent crabbing off the docks in Pawleys Island South Carolina, playing on the beach, eating fried shrimp, corn on the cobb, boiled peanuts, popsicles, and waiting for the first watermelons of the year.

Going to bed with the windows open, suburns and the smell of solarcain or some other burn spray, fighting with my sisters, fishing off the pier, road trips in the Griswold Family Truckster, and the smell of charcoal and all the visitors grilling out.

Scarlett Apr 9th, 2005 03:41 PM

GoTravel, our beach times were at Myrtle Beach and I will always associate summer with the scent of Coppertone and Solarcaine!
You described it perfectly :)

GoTravel Apr 9th, 2005 03:51 PM

You know MizScarlett, those are still the smells of my summers! Only the fights with my sisters aren't as bad and the coppertone and solercain have been replaced with Hawaiian Tropic SPF 30 and Bullfrog:-D

Scarlett Apr 9th, 2005 03:53 PM

Ha! Glad the fights have ended.
Add the scent of OFF to my summers now too :O

PamT Apr 9th, 2005 04:35 PM

Ok I'll play too. Our summer plans our simple. Enjoy life on the lake we live on in NW Wisconsin - fishing with the grandkids, going for long rides on the pontoon in the evenings when you can smell the wood smoke from someones campfire and see an eagle soar gracefully across the lake searching for that unsuspecting fish, long walks in either the early morning or early evening with my dear hubby. Convertible outings on a Sunday afternoon when we search out that out of the way resort that has a band playing 50's & 60's music on the patio while we enjoy our favorite cocktail. Ahhhhh-I just love summer!! Other plans include several weddings this summer as well as our annual 4th of July party. Then in September its off to Europe for 2 1/2 weeks-London, Paris & a week in
Ireland. Have a great summer!! Pam :)

Samsaf Apr 9th, 2005 04:42 PM

We used to go to Daytona Beach and spend a week, sometimes two, and I loved it. We would take one day and drive to Disney World (that was before the days of multiple parks) and then we'd drive back to the beach that evening. The little motel where we used to stay was torn down a couple of years ago, and I thought that was sad.

This summer we have a high school graduation (daughter), cruise and then Kauai.

Oh, GoTravel, all it takes is just one whiff of Coppertone to bring the beach memories flooding back. I bought some Coppertone to take with us to Florida this past week, and I love the smell of it.

BuffaloGirl Apr 9th, 2005 05:58 PM

Hi Scarlett!!!

Well, we'll probably take our son to Toronto for a weekend in late June when he graduates from 8th grade. Toronto is no biggie - just a 90 minute ride from Buffalo - so I don't know if that counts.

The last week of August will be spent in a beautiful 4 story beach house in Hyannisport, Cape Cod (thanks to the generosity of my SIL)! Maybe I'll visit my brother in Vermont.

Vacations as a kid were spent visiting friends in the Pennsylvania countryside (a few times per summer), the Adirondacks, or Toronto or Montreal. Canada is always an easy vacation from Buffalo. We never went anywhere together on an airplane. My mother is 82 and has never been on one!

seetheworld Apr 9th, 2005 06:40 PM

Oh Scarlett, last week we were flooded in our family room and office (I ranted so much last weekend, it happened in our new addition after installing an elaborate drainage system. Most likely a freak of nature.) Anyway, we had a good day throwing things out and it motivated my DH to unload a bunch of stuff - he is the ultimate pack rat, lol.

I expect a &quot;trip report&quot; on the Bershires - you know, where <i><b>all</b></i> the hottest farm stands are located (ah, that's living)! My husband and I have for years talked about buying a second home in the Berkshires (tiny one, that is) but our sons keep telling us to buy an apartment in NYC. Dreaming is fun :) I have smart sons, lol! Yes, I was a child bride ;) - I have two boys in college; well, one only has 6 more weeks to go. Gosh, I can babble...

Trish: I am a Jersey girl as well, although I have now spent more years in New York than in NJ. Spending time at LBI in my blue bikini was the best! And yes, many sunburns (regret that now) and buttermilk baths (don't ask, heehee). Good luck with your project...it was our dream to create an oasis and we completed that project a couple years back. You can hold the next GTG in your hot tub!!!