Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Summer Lodging - Vail (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/summer-lodging-vail-528816/)

LauraT May 13th, 2005 10:48 AM

Summer Lodging - Vail

We are heading to Vail for 4th of July weekend and looking for a place to stay. We plan to golf, hike and maybe go on a rafting trip.

We have been skiing in Vail years ago, but don't have a clue about where to stay. We love to stay in condos - for the extra space and ability to have breakfast in the room.

It would be nice to have a place where we can walk to dinner, but this is not a "must have" - particularly if this increases the cost a ton.

Can anyone provide any insights/information about the area (best place to stay) and any specific accomodataions. We don't need luxury, but we don't want a dump. Ideally, I guess we would want to spend around $200 a night - is that reasonable for summer?

We only need a one bedroom place for hubby and me.

Grasshopper May 13th, 2005 10:57 AM

Laura, There are plenty of options available, right in Vail Village. You can either go through the restort website, or try VRBO.com. I just took a look at the latter and saw that 1BR condos go for about $175 during the summer. Also, you might check on craigslist.com (use the Denver location). You will love Vail in the summer.

michaelcrane May 13th, 2005 11:10 AM

I've rented from Gore Creek Properties and they have great places available. The Vail Racquet Club in East Vail has condos and usually has good deals.

yale May 13th, 2005 12:55 PM

If you're going to be there for the 4th of July, I'd actually highly recommend the Beaver Creek West condos in Avon. They are right next to Nottingham Lake where the fireworks go off.

Grasshopper May 13th, 2005 01:23 PM

I hate to disagree with Yale twice in one day but Avon is pretty much out of the way. I'd rather be in Vale Village. Actually, I'd rather be in Keystone. :-)

mahs May 13th, 2005 03:38 PM

Can you tell me why Vail instead of Breckenridge .. Everything I am hearing suggests that Breckenridge would be a better option .. maybe stay in Breckenridge and spend just an afternoon or evening in Vail .. and a trip to Silverthorne for some shopping .. YES .. ? No ... ?

LauraT May 19th, 2005 04:56 AM

I picked Vail because we get a direct flight right into Vail. No other reason. We plan to hike and golf. Maybe we should look into Breckenridge - how's the golf in that area?

I have stayed in Breckenridge many times during the winter, but never in Vail. I guess I thought it would be nice to try something new...

Any insight on advantages/disadvantages to Vail vs. Breckenridge/Keystone - please help educate me. Work has been over-the-top busy and I have not had any free time - getting home too late - to diligently research like I usually do!

alliegator May 19th, 2005 05:16 AM

Laura,

We stayed at this condo in January and loved it! It was perfect for the hubby and myself and all the equipment you would need to cook. It was walking distance to the Village and the bus stop was across the street. The laundry room was right next door but nobody used it but us and you couldn't even hear it. Bring CD's for the player because radio was horrible!

I highly recommend this place!

http://www.vrbo.com/47748

Amy

LMWW May 19th, 2005 05:52 AM

Not sure about the price, but there are some wonderful condos at The Christiana. The properties are located right in the heart of Vail Village, and are also walking distance to Golden Peak.

Enjoy your stay - the Vail Valley is wonderful in the summer.

martym May 19th, 2005 11:15 AM

My husband's family had a family reunion at Manor Vail in 2003. I believe we paid about $180 for a one-bedroom condo. It was attractively decorated, kitchen fully equipped. Manor Vail is close to the Betty Ford Botanic Gardens right on Gore Creek east of Vail Village (an easy walk. In addition, the free bus stops right across from it. Here's the website http://www.manorvail.com/resort.php/MANOR_VAIL

mahs May 19th, 2005 11:22 AM

But I am still unclear as to why Vail .. not Breckenridge .. in the summer .. Please advise ..

BLYVAIL May 19th, 2005 12:12 PM

Manor Vail is a good choice, as is Christiania. Fallridge is just across the Vail Golf Course - not right in town, but on the free shuttle route. Good rates b/c of location. You might want to check on Mountain Haus - right at the Covered Bridge. Not sure what they're going for in July, but you can't beat the location.

I would avoid anything in Lionshead for the summer as there will be extensive renovation of the area.

Look at vail.snow.com - the resort website for lodging, schedules, etc.

LMWW May 19th, 2005 12:26 PM

I lived in CO for the last 5 years, so I'll try to answer mahs' question. In my opinion, the choice between Breck vs. Vail is a personal one. Both are great in the summer, with easy access to hiking and golfing (I don't golf, but I believe this is less so for Breck - you have to golf in Keystone?). Moreover, both offer beautiful scenery. In the winter, I personally avoid Breck as it is overcrowded and the mountain is windy.

More than anything, the overall feel of both towns is quite different. Breck is more casual and "down home." Vail is more upscale and feels a bit like a European mountain village. Consistent with this difference in feel, there are more upscale dining options in and around Vail. Although there are a few upscale places to eat in Breck, its focus is much more on burger/beer joints.

Hope that helps!

BLYVAIL May 19th, 2005 01:22 PM

I completely agree with LMWW. Vail and Breck are very different.

Why Vail in Summer? Free big name concerts in Ford Park, Rochester Philharmonic, NY Philharmonic, Colorado Symphony, International Dance Festival. Bon Appetit/Food Channel competitions in BC. White water rafting, gold medal fishing, mountain biking, chairlift rides, hiking, 4wheel jeep tours. Nicholaus, Palmer, Robert Trent Jones III golf courses. World class restaurants. Farmers markets in Vail, Minturn & Edwards on weekends. Sports festivals, adventure races, 10k Trail Running Championships.....

Grasshopper May 19th, 2005 01:35 PM

OK, I'll speak up for Keystone. Golf? http://keystone.snow.com/keystonegolf/

We also have the #1 and #7 Zagat rated restaurants for Colorado. Lake Dillon has sailing and the the highest Tiki Bar in world. Also, world class mountain biking.

Not tryng to talk you out of Vail. It's lovely. I'm just telling you about Keystone. :-)

mikesmom May 20th, 2005 04:02 AM

My husband and I went to Vail for the first time last July. We LOVED it. We stayed four nights at the Sonnenalp - fantastic - pricey, but worth it. We took a day trip to Breckenridge and thought it was great too! Vail and Breck are different, but both wonderful!

Vail in the summer - perfect!

Coskier May 23rd, 2005 08:51 AM

Vail in Summer is wonderful, Keystone too, though I am biased. Not a big Breckenridge fan. Many are though. I call it a 3T's town, Tourist, T-Shirt shops and toffee.

Yes the Golf is wonderful in Keystone, the dining better in Vail.

Laura, you will find many options for lodging at your price range. On www.craigslist.com you can sometimes find good owner direct condos for under 100 in summer under vacation rentals.