Summer Family Vacation in Michigan with 3 and 6 year olds

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2019, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to plan out a summer family vacation with my wife and 2 boys (ages 3 and 6). We live in Wisconsin and will be driving the whole way. Spent some time researching and looks like a great route would be to visit Mackinac Island, Traverse City and Sleeping Bear Dunes but would be open to seeing any other suggestions! (e.g. waterfalls, lighthouses etc...). I'm looking for suggestion on the following:
1. Amount of time to spend at the 3 spots above - we can go for 4-7 nights based on what people recommend
2. Suggestions on places to stay with 2 young kids (we are good with airbnb to hotels). One spot I'd like to have a pool for them to swim in along the way and preferably an outdoor heated one.
3. Things to do outside of the obvious

I'm ok with going during peak times and understand we'll pay a premium. I'd like to have nice warm weather for swimming and being out and about.

I'd love it if we could stay at a place on the beach for 2-3 days. Wondering if it's possible to travel to traverse city from such a place too?

From a budget standpoint I'd love to keep it on the affordable side but after looking at prices these are clearly pricier places to stay. That's ok. I'd like to say a range per night is $150-300 but that is not hard and fast. I'm happy to spend $50 or $100 more a night if it makes a huge difference.

We are just looking for some great family time and don't have any set expectations. Just looking for something a little different than the standard Florida beach vacation Thanks so much in advance!
Old Jan 27th, 2019, 03:36 PM

Consider renting a cottage on Glen Lake, close to Sleeping Bear Dunes. Great place for kids.
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention I'm thinking we'd spend 2 nights in Mackinac, 2 nights in Travers and 2 nights on beach.

Thanks! Looks like a great spot but I am floored by how expensive the cottages are in the summertime. I have stayed in Mediterranean high-end hotels in Capri for less than these cottages that haven't been touched for 50 years. For example Glen Lake Cottages in Glen Arbor, Michigan the smallest one here is $275 a night and looks...awful (for the price).

Equally as insane was the recommendation to stay at the Grand hotel in Mackinac Island. It was $700 a night for a tiny room! Who is paying for that?

I figured road tripping to Michigan was a nice cheap family vacation but it looks like it's much more expensive than expected.

Any other places people suggest staying?
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 11:58 AM

Did you look at hotels off the island, just across the bay? We visited Mackinac Island several years ago and stayed in a hotel off island in the Mackinac City area and took the ferry across in the morning. Fort Mackinac had live programs and tours which may be interesting for your family. We only visited Mackinac for a day enroute to elsewhere, so that worked out for us. https://www.mackinacparks.com/parks-...fort-mackinac/ I did a quick hotel search and found several in the area, including some that had indoor water parks or pools, which your kids may enjoy. Check hotel booking websites for prices at the time you will be traveling. Check the ferry prices/schedule at https://www.mackinacferry.com/