Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Summer expedition - your opinion please (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/summer-expedition-your-opinion-please-842143/)

summerlover333 May 27th, 2010 03:07 PM

Summer expedition - your opinion please

Here's our plan... your opinions please. We're traveling with 2 great young teenage kids.

NY to Sedona - two nights (Slide Rock, Broken Arrow Pink Jeep)
Sedona to Grand Canyon - two nights @ Bright Angel (modest hikes)
GC to Monument Valley - one night at Gouldings
MV to Page - one night at Lake Powell
Page to Bryce - two nights at the Canyon (horseback ride, hikes)
Bryce to Vegas - where to stay with kids? any shows appropriate?
Vegas to Phoenix - two nights at Squaw Peak (baseball and ??)

I know it's a lot of moving but we want to see everything we can within reason. Thanks in advance for your ideas.

BigRuss May 27th, 2010 03:10 PM

When?

Make sure the AC in the car is in top condition -- you'll be wearing it out in that area.

Bill_H May 27th, 2010 04:04 PM

Many people doing this loop in summer months would choose to begin/end in Vegas instead of Phoenix. Rental cars are usually cheaper and you will miss out on the hottest temps, which can easily be 110 - 115 F or higher in Phoenix (Vegas is also hot but usually 5-8 degrees cooler than Phoenix).

But if you want to catch a Diamondbacks game or two, and want to stay in a highly rated resort in Phoenix at bargain rates then your itinerary works fine. Maybe add a night in Zion if you can fit it in?

summerlover333 May 27th, 2010 05:03 PM

Bill - you're right on. We're doing the D-backs and Squaw Peak in Phoenix based on game schedule and vacation availability from work. The rental car part is AWFUL since the airport charges in Phoenix are through the roof!!!! Thanks for your reply.

Russ - it's late June/early July. Hopefully not peak heat. Thanks for your reply.

happytrailstoyou May 27th, 2010 05:17 PM

I like your plan. The only thought that comes to my mind is that to go from Monument Valley to Bryce Canyon via Hanksville, Torrey, Boulder, and Escalante is one of the most beautiful drives in the contiguous forty-eight states.

HTTY

Myer May 27th, 2010 05:47 PM

If you take the route happy describes above, you may want to make stops for Lower Calf Creek falls and Devil's Garden Escalante.

Bill_H May 28th, 2010 08:27 AM

<b>The rental car part is AWFUL since the airport charges in Phoenix are through the roof!!!! </b>

Here's a Fodors' thread discussing ways to lower the rental car costs from PHX airport, in case you haven't yet seen it:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...in-phoenix.cfm

BigRuss May 28th, 2010 09:26 AM

I'm in N. Texas. One month from now I expect every day to be at least 95 degrees. It's hotter in Phoenix.

ksucat May 28th, 2010 09:59 AM

Bill and others are right about the car rental rates in PHX.
5* resorts in Vegas and PHX/Scottsdale are such a bargain that we go annually for the 4th of July to $700-$1k a night rooms for around $100.
Squaw Peak is ok..you can get a new room at Montelucia 5* resort for $99 with free breakfast, or the Phoenician for around $100+ and the pools are great.
Where are you staying in Sedona? (Sedona Rouge & Hilton, Hyatt)
Vegas, I love the Wynn and you can get rates of around $129 a night.

www.wynnlasvegas.com
www.expedia.com

janisj May 28th, 2010 10:05 AM

"<i>late June/early July. Hopefully not peak heat.</i>"

There is a reason 5* resorts go for 2* room rates in June/July/August. Most days you won't want do much of anything outdoors between about 10 AM and 7 PM in Phoenix or LV or some other places along your route.

Dayenu May 28th, 2010 10:25 AM

NY to Sedona - two nights (Slide Rock, Broken Arrow Pink Jeep)
there is a small local aiport up on a mountain where everybody goes to watch sunrise/sunset (2nd parking lot)

GC to Monument Valley - one night at Gouldings - in the restaurant there they sell "fry bread" - native bread, I think they make pizza with it, see if you can buy it plain with cinnamon sugar - maybe elsewhere in a reservation

Bryce to Vegas - where to stay with kids? any shows appropriate? - they usually have daytime shows, there is also 1/2 price same day tix near M&Ms world

ksucat May 28th, 2010 11:36 AM

Yeah, there is no question that its going to be stinking hot but its a dry heat.
;)