Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Suiter vs. Garment Bag (Men's Luggage question)

Old Nov 25th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband has always used a garment bag for his suits on buisiness trips of 2-3 days.

We are now shopping for new luggage and I was wondering how the "suiter" suitcases compare.

He is a big guy - wears a 46L suit size. I am wondering if this would create a problem in using a suiter vs. a garment bag.

Does anyone have strong preferences for one or the other?
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 07:45 AM
jimjim

Luggage preference is an individual matter. I bought several suitcases before I landed the one that serves my travel style. Suggestion: Buy the suitcase you are considering at a place where you can return it for a refund, no questions asked. Take it home, pack it, and decide if it will serve your needs.

My guess is that if your husband has "always" liked his garment bag, he should probably stick with it.

Old Nov 26th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Actually, he's not thrilled with garment bags - but they're all he's had. They are fairly bulky overall.
Our primary concern was putting a big guy's suits into those suiters!

We bought a new luggage set today and it has multiple sizes of suiters. I guess we will find out very quickly which is better.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 04:17 AM

Regardless of size, hanging garment bags generally keep suits neater. But if he is flying, few airlines have good coach option for hanging bags anymore - so they end up wadded up in overhead bin or being checked luggage - and suits are not very happy with that!

Once you learn how and where to fold suits in suiter cases, they really emerge intact.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 06:24 AM

Hi Jennni,

I used a garment bag for years for my suits, and really, unless you can hang it up, open, they still crush.

I now use a Tumi 21" rollaboard. It has a compartment that will accept 4 hanging items. It is a tri-fold with soft cyndrical straps to hold and fold suits, and shirts, and ties,
I wear a size 48 suit, and they unpack better than my garment bagged suits ever did.
You realize that creases and wrinkles have a lot to do with the quality of the fabric, not just how you pack them.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 02:20 PM

As mentioned above, the quality of the fabric has much to do with wrinkling (or not), but so does the packing technique. Some use tissue paper; my own similarly sized suits do well if I clip the hanger onto the hook in the suitcae then placing a plastic dry cleaner bag on top before folding neatly to fit the space.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:56 PM

I was recently given a suiter as part of a wheeled packing case. How do you use the suiter? I don't seem to see a place to hang anything!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 06:22 PM

My husband LOVES the Ricardo suiters (after seeing how happy I was with mine).

We each now have several for shorter and longer trips.

A note about the "suiter" compartment...this is where you'd want to pack jackets, raincoat. There's a fabulous section above that where slacks (folded in half, lots of them, thirds would work fine too) fit perfectly.

For two weeks in Paris recently, I packed a 27". Half a dozen pairs of slacks in the top compartment, with a shorter and a longer raincoat, along with a blazer in the "suiter". Then, the fold-up items in the bottom. Two roomy pockets on the front as well, along with nifty toiletry and shoe bags in the main compartment. This bag expands (and I overpack), but didn't find that necessary. Anyway, I was amazed at how wrinkle free everything arrived (and I travel with a dual voltage steamer). My husband packed his usual "perfect fold" (similar to a garment bag, but tri-fold), and ordered a bag like mine the minute we got home. Problem with the everything-on-hangers garment bags is that they're difficult to zip, and packing the fold-up and other items is nearly impossible, distribution-wise.

You can check out Ricardo bags at ebags.com, but then check pricegrabber.com and do a web search for a model you like - often better prices, less shipping, free returns...