Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Suggetions for sampling local culture in San Francisco (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/suggetions-for-sampling-local-culture-in-san-francisco-396458/)

Blacknight Jul 16th, 2008 06:29 PM

Suggetions for sampling local culture in San Francisco

Instead of going itno debt, I decided to shelve my grand tour of Italy until next fall. So, I'm planning a 4 day trip to San Francisco in September to "get away from it all" and retain my sanity.

I work for a large, metropolitan police department and I'm always aware of my surroundings, so safety is not going to be a problem for me.

I plan on doing the touristy things, like Alcatraz, bike across the Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Warf, etc.

Wherever I visit, I like to sample the local culture. I'm not adverse to spending a few dollars for a nice dinner and I love jazz. I hate crowds, so large clubs are out. Besides, I've outgrown that phase in my life.

So, where can a single, fun-loving, but sophisticated woman go to sample the best that San Francisco has to offer.

cabovacation Jul 16th, 2008 10:10 PM

ttt

dmlove Jul 17th, 2008 09:38 AM

Check out Jazz at Pearl's - it's a tiny club. We saw Pete Escovedo last year. Also, it's in North Beach, which means excellent wandering, people watching, cafe sitting and eating.

FainaAgain Jul 18th, 2008 08:45 AM

Beach Blanket Babylon.

NeoPatrick Jul 18th, 2008 12:35 PM

"I hate crowds"

"Beach Blanket Babylon"

Sorry, but as much as I LOVE BBB, those two statements just don't go together. There is hardly breathing room at BBB. But if you can put up with it for an hour and a half or so, Blacknight, you'd HAVE to love it -- a San Francisco institution.

SAB Jul 18th, 2008 03:52 PM

For jazz you could try Yoshi's in San Francisco's Fillmore Heritage Center, which houses a jazz heritage center. (The Fillmore district used to be a big jazz center during the 40's and 50's.) There are many great restaurants, like SPQR and Quince nearby as well lots of shopping on upper Fillmore.

Blacknight Jul 19th, 2008 10:05 AM

Thanks for the info everyone.

NeoPatrick, concerts, plays, and such I don't mind. It's the crowded club scene that drives me nuts. I never saw the sense of standing in line to get into a club, only to have to stand around and be squished or wait in line for the bathroom or bartender, etc.

andrew8 Jul 19th, 2008 11:01 AM

I would go with Yoshi's over Pearls.

NeoPatrick Jul 19th, 2008 01:24 PM

Blacknight, in that case DO go to see Beach Blanket Babylon. The site doesn't do it justice, but take a look anyway:

www.beachblanketbabylon.com/

NeoPatrick Jul 19th, 2008 01:26 PM

Be sure to click on show pictures -- and realize that each of these is worked into or around a popular song from sometime in the last 50 years.

janisj Jul 19th, 2008 01:28 PM

It is a must to book ahead for BBB . . . . .

kleroux Jul 19th, 2008 07:04 PM

Why not check what/who is playing at the Top of the Mark Hopkins hotel? Its a wonderful venue with a great view. Great place to have a drink and relax. Its not a wild club scene, but they often have really good live music up there.

1JAR Jul 19th, 2008 07:29 PM

I particularly enjoyed a a walking tour of Chinatown. You learn things about the people, buildings, and culture that you never would know.

Also I p/u the pink pages from the Sunday paper and look at theater offerings, buy 1/2 off tickets at a theatre in Union Square. The Theater is a big part of the local culture..and some of these theaters are regal and some not in architechture:: one serves wine and beer but because has no liquor license asks for donations!!!
Food is also part of local culture...and so is Fresh Farmers Markets. If there over wkend pls go to Ferry Terminal Saturday am..see all the wonderful people growing or making there own product..good people watcing in general and teh view of teh bay great... California AG is such a big part of the CA way of life...you can get breakfast..wonderful french yoghurt stand ...

Blacknight Jul 20th, 2008 09:49 PM

Quick question....as far as areas to stay, Union Square or Fisherman's Warf?

ncounty Jul 20th, 2008 09:54 PM

Both are great but I have a slight preference for US and have always stayed there. It is easy to get to from the airport by BART and is very central; great public transportation and shopping.

Presocia Jul 20th, 2008 09:57 PM

I just returned from San Francisco last Monday, and found the Union Square area to be ideal for public transportation, walking, shopping, etc. Easy to catch a bus or BART and get to anywhere I needed to go.

andrew8 Jul 21st, 2008 02:22 AM

Go with Union Square

PeaceOut Jul 21st, 2008 07:26 AM

For nice boutique hotels, try the Joie de Vivre properties in S.F. We especially liked the Hotel Rex, in the Union Square area. Very nice front desk, and I think it would be good for a single traveler.

Also, for local flavor, there's nothing like visiting the Haight district. It's still popular, and quite a bit more cleaned up than in its 60s heyday.

SAB Jul 21st, 2008 09:05 AM

Haight Street itself is as about as local as the Wharf, lots of people looking for the past. Non-tourist neighborhoods are places like Noe Valley, Hayes Valley, the Mission, even upper Fillmore. These are the places residents go, to eat, to shop, to have coffee.

SAB Jul 21st, 2008 09:09 AM

Adendum: Lower Haight is a different neighborhood, funky stores and bars-- very "hip" 20 something or 30 somethings who still think they are "hip".