Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Suggestions on where to take my mother in law after Chemo treatment? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/suggestions-on-where-to-take-my-mother-in-law-after-chemo-treatment-274399/)

Suzanne Nov 19th, 2002 10:37 AM

Suggestions on where to take my mother in law after Chemo treatment?

Does anyone have any great suggestions for a wonderful trip for my mother in law and her husband? My husband and I want to take them somewhere a few months after she finishes chemo. She has ovarian cancer and want to take them somewhere wonderful.<BR><BR>She lives in Tennessee and we live in Michigan. So somewhere other than those two places. They are 63 &amp; 74. <BR><BR>Thanks for all the suggestions.<BR><BR>Have a great day!

suzanne Nov 19th, 2002 10:38 AM

Oh I forgot, we will be traveling in July of 2003.<BR><BR>And $$$$'s are not that much an issue though we don't want this trip costing us $10K either.<BR><BR>Thanks

Jen Nov 19th, 2002 10:42 AM

What a nice idea! <BR><BR>But in order to help, we really need a better idea of what your MIL would consider &quot;wonderful.&quot; A resort where she can relax and be pampered? An outdoorsy place where she can enjoy some views and physical activity? A city with theater and shopping? <BR><BR>About the only thing we can rule out is the Deep South, since it's July.

Suzanne Nov 19th, 2002 10:47 AM

My mother in law loves EVERYTHING and I do mean EVERYTHING. She is such a lovely person and has a wonderful spirit.<BR><BR>She did live in Michigan but moved to TN because of the beauty of it all.<BR><BR>So I think they would enjoy something more on the scenic side (over shopping).<BR><BR>I also don't want anything too full of activities (too much walking) because she may not be strong enough yet.<BR><BR><BR>Thanks <BR><BR>PS We are thinking about Alaska possibly.

nina Nov 19th, 2002 10:56 AM

What about an Alaskan cruise? It's an easy way to see the area, she can take it easy if she likes, plus there will be activites for all ages. I find that the older my mom gets the more she enjoys a cruise, no decisions about where to eat, etc. Another option is a nice all inclusive in Playa del Carmen (There are some very nice ones), where you could visit the ruins and do a bit of shopping in town.<BR><BR>I always find cruises and AI's good options for various age ranges and travel in groups in general. No one has to take responsibility for what type of restaurant, cost, etc, because it's all paid for. You don't have to worry about ordering the most expensive meal on the menu. Makes for a stress free and relaxing vacation.

Suzanne Nov 19th, 2002 10:58 AM

Nina,<BR><BR>Thanks for the info regarding an Alaska cruise. I was actually checking into that.<BR><BR>I wasn't sure if older people enjoy caribbean cruises too. I mean my mother in law isn't old, but her husband is 74, in great shape, but he did have a triple bypass last year, so we don't want any over exertion on his part.<BR><BR>Thanks for the thoughts on cruising.<BR><BR>Suzanne

Sidney Nov 19th, 2002 11:02 AM

It is hard to match the beauty and serenity of Hawaii. It is expensive but oh so worth it. If you don't mind traveling coach there are many deals out there. It really is a once in a lifetime vacation if you have never been. A bit pricey though.

nina Nov 19th, 2002 11:02 AM

My mom loves all cruises. If your MIL is like most, when you take her to a restaurant you just know they don't order everything they want because they don't want you to spend too much money. My mom and my MIL are like that. It drives me crazy! This way, they can order what they like without feeling that mother guilt!<BR><BR>They can also do a tour, or just walk around a port until they get tired and return to the ship without feeling like they are putting you out if you want to go on without them.

nina Nov 19th, 2002 11:05 AM

Just want to add to Sidney's post, a Hawaii cruise might be a great alternative. That would be a wonderful destination.

xxx Nov 19th, 2002 11:08 AM

Since she will just be coming out of chemo, I would suggest skipping anything to do with the island sun.<BR><BR>I think the Alaskan cruise is a wonderful idea.

danna Nov 19th, 2002 11:20 AM

Some thoughts closer to home, if she were not to feel up to the days of travel necessary to get to Alaska or Hawaii:<BR><BR>Grove Park Inn, Asheville, NC<BR>View is so spectacular that sitting around doing nothing stops seeming so boring. Also a spa.<BR><BR>Greenbrier Inn, West Virginnia<BR>Have not been due to the cost, but I understand they have cooking classes, another non-physical activity.<BR><BR>golf available at both as well if anyone is so inclined.<BR><BR>Best wishes !

beachbum Nov 19th, 2002 11:57 AM

Three months after chemo my wife still wasn't up to a lot of activity. Because of that, I think a cruise is a great idea; MIL can be as active/inactive as she likes and still benefit from the changing scenery.<BR><BR>And for scenic value, I think an Alaska cruise has it all over the Caribbean or Hawaii.

Suzanne Nov 19th, 2002 11:58 AM

Thanks soooo much for the replies.<BR><BR>It sounds like the Alaskan cruise is the way to go.<BR><BR>Thank you all so much.<BR><BR>I'll chk in in case someone else responds.

Alana Nov 19th, 2002 01:03 PM

Suzanne, I think that you will have success with any relaxed vacation in nearly any location. And never underestimate that boost of sudden energy after the last chemo session; my boyfriend had more energy then than he had at any other point during chemo.<BR><BR>We actually took a long weekend in London about a month after his last chemo/radiation. He mostly wanted to be able to set the pace &amp; not feel rushed to get anywhere. Also we had to avoid anything too strenous (walking about the city was at a leisurely place) or in the sun for too long (which was fine since it was London in May and rather drippy).<BR><BR>Finally, it never hurts to ask your in-laws where they would like to go. While it is nice to surprise someone, they may feel overwhelmed being presented with a pre-thought plan and may not feel prepared to travel. Perhaps there is somewhere your in-laws have always wanted to go &amp; never had the opportunity to visit.<BR><BR>Best of luck.

Olivia Nov 19th, 2002 02:46 PM

Suzanne, I think your MIL is so lucky to have you and your husband, what a wonderful idea. I think the Alaskan cruise would be great, and I have heard that the best month to go is August, and you're plans are close to that, enjoy! I just lost my Dad to cancer two weeks ago and I would give anything to be able to take he and my Mom on a get-away like you are. Safe Journey to you!

Suzanne Nov 19th, 2002 02:55 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies.<BR><BR>Olivia, I am sorry to hear about your Father. He is in a better place and I hope it comforts you to know that one day you and the rest of your family will be reunited with him. May God bless you and your family. I know this is an extremely difficult time.<BR><BR>Thank you everyone for your responses.<BR><BR>Suzanne

NoName Nov 19th, 2002 03:25 PM

Suzanne, I don't want to rain on your parade, what you are doing is beautiful, but please, you must seriously consider the lowered immune system of a chemo patient. Nine years ago, my mom had a &quot;double dose&quot; of chemo and got on a plane for Christmas with her family...she cought a bug on that plane, and it killed her. To anyone else, it would have been a cold. Just be careful, have her be careful. I know this was long ago, and chemo treatments have improved since then, but I just wanted to warn you - I speak from personal experience.

Suzanne Nov 19th, 2002 03:44 PM

Noname, thanks for that information. I will contact her Dr to find out more regarding this. I certainly don't want to cause more harm. I figure that if it is 4 months after treatment that she will be fine. But definitely I will make sure.<BR><BR>Thanks

xxx Nov 19th, 2002 03:51 PM

I have to agree with NoName. The point is well taken. There is suppose to be some medicine these days to build up the immunity, check into it with the Dr.'s. We don't want to be negative and it is a wonderful thing to do, but many people have died from the Chemo and a germ and not the cancer. Be sure and check with her Physician first. God Bless all of you.

NoName Nov 19th, 2002 03:52 PM

Suzanne, you're right. Four months is definitely better than the two weeks my mom waited. One more thing: don't let her eat raw oysters either - they can contain a bacteria she'd be susceptible to. God bless, and have a great time!<BR><BR>P.S. Do the cruise!