Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on where to go for a 15 year anniversary trip?

Old Sep 29th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

My husband gave me a trip for our 15 year anniversary with the option of picking anywhere I wanted to go. We do not have passports so overseas is out of the question. We are going on our trip in 2 weeks, Oct. 12-17. I LOVE to travel but have not been many places at all. I would like to go somewhere spectacular, fun and yet also relaxing. We have considered the New England area, Seattle area, Savannah,GA/Hilton Head, Pennsylvania, etc. We do have a limited budget to work with as well. We would either be leaving from Iowa or Kansas City, MO. This is not something we will do very often so I would like for it to be a special time. Any suggestions on what would be a marvelous trip would be greatly appreciated.

Also, anywhere that would have great last minute deals?
Thanks.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:29 AM

"Spectacular, fun, and relaxing." Limited budget. Starting from the upper Midwest. In October. Hmmmmmm.....

I generally find mountain regions spectacular and fun, and sitting at a lodge overlooking the mountains can be relaxing. October is a wonderful time to visit the mountains of New England (fall colors and all), but prices and crowds also go WAY up at this time. If you can find some bargain there, go for it.

An alternative is the mountain region of Colorado; Boulder, Denver, Colorado Springs. The colors are not as glorious but the mountains are much more spectacular. You can hike or bike in the morning, relax in the spa in the afternoon, dine and dance at a resort in the evening, and then; well, you know. ;^)

The only potential problem is an early snowstorm. I'd thus look for a place that offers a variety of activities, both indoor and outdoor.

I can't recommend anything specific, but it's where I'd be looking.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:39 AM

Sedona is a beautiful area with spas and romance... take a jeep tour, explore the red rocks, take a day trip to flagstaff, the Grand Canyon, or just pamper yourselves... have fun!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:40 AM

For something very unique and almost like going to Europe, consider Quebec City. It's a very charming, inexpensive, clean, safe city surrounded by stone walls and with a spectacular overlook of the St. Lawrence.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:45 AM

Chicago would be my first suggestion but, then, I'm biased and perhaps you've already visited us.

Second suggestion: Fly into Phoenix. Drive up to Sedona (2 hours) for the relaxation and spectacular scenery; and then to the Grand Canyon for the even more breathtaking vistas.

Easily done in 5 days.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:56 AM

Have you considered the east coast such as one week around Washington DC and one week in New York City? My husband travels for work, has been in 49 of 50 states, 4 countries, and one place he actually revisits when he doesn't have to is NYC. These places do no have to be expensive. Last month he paid $95/night in NYC at the LaQuinta, one block from the Empire State Building. Or for an even less expensive room, have you considered Bed and Breakfasts, or even hostels? I'm not suggesting hostels every night since this is an anniversary vacation, but staying at hostels 1-2 nights in expensive areas can help with the budget.
Washington DC is one of my all-time favorite places because there is soooo much to see, all the Smithsonians are free to visit, and I think you appreciate DC more when you're older vs visiting as a teenager.
Let us know what you decide! Good luck.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 06:04 AM
cd

http://www.yosemitepark.com/content2...D=24&PageID=47
One of our favorite trips was to Yosemite. The scenery is dramatic. You can do a google and get all kinds of info and also do a serch here. Stay in the Valley, Yosemite Park Lodge is reasonable in price and Yosemite Falls is right behind you. Go to the Mariposa Grove of redwoods, they are amazing! We combined two days in Yosemite with three days in San Franciso, which is a 5 hr drive away. Throw in 2days for travel and you can pretty much do it in a week.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 06:06 AM

Wherever you do go, and these are some great suggestions, I would suggest that you apply for passports as soon as possible. They are the most acceptable form of ID even for domestic travel; and as a bonus in the future, you won't be so limited.

Bon voyage!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Ike

I second Zootsi......My wife and I were in Quebec City last fall for our 20th anniversary. I will never forget a minute of our trip. Old Town QC is gorgeous this time of the year and the food was best I ever had. Rent a car and drive up the St. Lawrence and back. Beautiful church's, lots of neat shops, good food and very friendly people...........
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 08:32 AM
ltt

well, there are a million places anyone could suggest but to keep things simple, and considering you only have 5 days, i would second the thoughts of sedona or quebec city (you only need a driver's license and birth certificate but much cooler then sedona).
santa barbara, california is another beautiful spot for an anniversary.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 09:33 AM
GoTravel

dadof3, while it is a good idea this is the most expensive time of year for NYC.

bulldog, what about Vancouver Island? You don't need a passport for Canada and the dollar is still strong against the Canadian $$.

Mid October is a gorgeous time for the beach. I highly recommend Wild Dunes. Condo rentals will be very reasonably priced and you are very close to Charleson. You can also do day trips to Savannah.

Old Sep 30th, 2005, 09:41 AM

For last-minute suggestions, I would check Travelzoo.com and Go-Today.com. Both have great package deals, and sometimes lodging and airfare specials.

I would recommend spending some time looking through those, and just seeing if something strikes your fancy! You may find a deal to a place you've never even thought about.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Definitely Charleston, SC.
Perfect in the fall, not
as pricey as some areas,
lots to do.
Great restaurants.
Happy Anniversary!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 12:44 PM

San Miguel de Allende, MX.
M
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 02:00 PM

These are great suggestions.

For our 15th anniversary two years ago, my husband and I flew in to Oakland and rented a car. We drove up to the Napa Valley and spent several nights in Calistoga. We visited wineries, strolled and shopped, ate fabulous meals, got a massage and went hiking in a gorgeous state park with stunning views over the valley onces we reached the top. It was mid-October and the weather was glorious.

Whatever you choose, have a wonderful trip!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 02:42 PM

bulldoglover, I mostly replied 'cause I am a bulldog lover too! In fact, my screen name is my bulldogs name! (best dogs in the world!)
I think New England would be beautiful -- perhaps Martha's Vineyard -- should be a little less expensive this time of year, and hopefully not too cold. Vermont would be ideal, if you can find any room anywhere! (although it may be a little late for leaf peeping.)
Quebec sounds like a fantastic idea.
What about Yellowstone! Between that and New England, I think those are some of the prettiest spots in the country! Love the Snowlodge at Yellowstone...
Or, fly into San Francisco, a great city and a great time of year. You could explore the city, or rent a car and go slightly north to Napa, or south to Carmel and Monterey. (Carmel is my pick for another of this countries prettiest spots!)
So many choices, please say what you end up doing!!!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 04:19 PM

You may not think of it as an anniversary destination, but a combined trip to the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas would be spectacular, fun, and as relaxing as you decide to make it.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 04:57 PM

A very well thought out first question filled with lots of dilemna. Interesting. Hope you make it back to read the replies and let us know where you and that thoughtful husband land on your 15th.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:23 PM

Yellowstone or Jasper National Forest in Canada would be both spectacular and relaxing!

Belle
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 06:12 PM

Combine a trip to San Francisco with a trip to the wine country....Napa, Sonoma, etc. easily done as they are near each other.

For San Francisco hotel deals try...hotelres.com...and stay in the Union Square area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO