Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on location for family Florida beach vacation for Spring Break

Old Jul 13th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All...I'm looking for any suggestions on a location for my family's next spring break vacation. A little background...we'll be traveling with my family of 4, dh and I and our son (9) and daughter (6). We enjoy a beautiful beach and pool but also need other things to do as well...being close enough to do a day trip to Sea World, Disney, or Busch Gardens would be nice but not a requirement. We'd also be interested in visiting an aquarium, zoo, museum, etc...basically something fun and intereting to do with the kids to break up one beach day after another. Looking for restaurants, some shopping for momma, maybe a place to rent bikes, ice cream shops, etc...but nothing wild and over run with high school/college spring breakers.
We go to Florida every year and always end up doing a week at Disney. We do love it...we love that we can relax by the pool all day and then have plenty to do in the late afternoon/evening. I guess I'm trying to find another spot in Florida for us that provides for relaxation but also offers activities for the family outside of beach and pool. We'd be interested in staying at a resort or possibly renting a condo. Budget is flexible. My first priority is a having a great trip...I'll be turning 40 this year so treating myself to a special trip with my family will be OK! Thanks for any ideas for planning this vacation!
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 08:50 AM

If you're looking to avoid the spring-breakers, for the east coast, you might consider the Melbourne Beach or Vero Beach areas. Vero is a bit more upscale and active than Mlb Bch.

There are plenty of rental places in either. Both have beachfront hotels with pools, etc., though more of them in Vero. Mlb is going to be a bit more quiet and low key than Vero. The good thing is you can stay in one and visit the other. And neither one is real touristy -- mostly year-rounders and snow birds.

Disney and Sea World are about 90 mins. from Mlb, a bit farther from Vero. You can visit the Brevard Zoo or the Kennedy Space Center.
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 10:20 AM
cd

How about St Pete Beach, Florida. You are about an hour from Busch Gardens in Tampa and the area itself offers a lot to do. http://www.beachhousesuites.com/ seems like a great place for families, have never stayed there but the Don CeSar hotel in St Pete is great!
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 10:48 AM

I second cd's rec! I just spent a week at Treasure Island. Nephew got married on St. Pete beach, so I took the week off. There's shopping, St. Pete itself is great, the Gulf is warm enough for swimming, and there's an aquarium in Clearwater. Winter lives there:
http://www.seewinter.com/winter/dolphin-tale
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 10:57 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We always enjoyed family vacations on Sanibel and Captiva Is.
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 11:45 AM

We stay in Sanibel every year and my kids love it (9&11). However it is very laid back and not much to do at night time. There are numerous bike paths, ice cream shops and shopping areas. Have also stayed on Anna Maria, again very laid back. We were able to do a day trip to Adventure Island, but it took us an hour to get there from Anna Maria.
If you stay on St. Pete beach you will be closer to off beach activities for the kids to do. Busch Garden, Adventure island, the Tampa aquarium ( which I recommend ). Also near St. Pete is Fort Desoto State park, which the kids might enjoy. St. Pete would have more of the high rise hotels along the coast. Don Ceasar is very nice and would probably fit the bill as somewhere special to stay on your 40th bday if your budget is flexible. It's also slightly separated from the main through way of high rises the dot St. Pete beach.
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 04:53 PM

We like Sarasota - the Siesta Key beach is always one of the picks of "best beach". There is an aquarium in Sarasota, and a trip to Busch Gardens in Tampa is very doable.
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 07:25 PM

Bookmarking for good info.
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 07:32 AM

Hi Alleinnj,

Well I love that you come to Florida often. If your looking for new adventures, things to see, do, play, eat, shop, have a look at my travel blog on Florida. There are sooo many options available for you and your family. I know when i travel i look for a destination that has a bit of everything for everyone. So i get a hotel with a sitter service or a vacation rental in an area that a sitting service can come to. Best of both Worlds! Besides, vacations are all about making memories and having unforgettable moments!

www.floridasummers.com

Bon Chance!

Reem