Reload this Page >

Suggestions from trip to Lake Powell, Zion , Bryce and Sedona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 09:04 AM
Sue

Hi. Just got back from a weeklong trip to Lake Powell, Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, and Sedona and have some suggestions for future travelers. Book well in advance to stay at either Zion Lodge or Bryce Canyon Lodge. We were only able to get one night at Zion Lodge. Stayed in a cabin there and loved it. Spent the other night at Flanigan's Inn, and would recommend this place. Eat at Zion Pizza and Noodle Company in Springdale - good food. Couldn't get in to Bryce Canyon Lodge, so stayed at Best Western Ruby's Inn. Ok for a motel, though a little frenzied for our tastes - there were six tour buses there the day we checked in. Bryce Canyon Lodge would be the far superior choice for its location to the rim trail. At Lake Powell, we stayed at Wahweap Lodge. There are eight buildings with guest rooms - recommend staying in building 8 for the best views of the lake. Took the 5 hour boat tour to Rainbow Bridge and enjoyed that. Had a good meal in Page at Bella Napoli. In Sedona we stayed at our favorite place, "Enchantment
Resort." Cannot recommend this place highly enough. Boynton Canyon is beautiful. Casita 109 at Enchantment has a great view of the red rocks. Like the Yavapai Restaurant at the resort. We also had a delightful lunch on the outside patio of "Heartline Cafe." Zion and Bryce are incredible. Zion was our favorite.

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 09:24 AM
OliveOyl

We will be making a similar trip over Thanksgiving. Bryce Lodge closes Oct 31, so we are booked at Ruby's Inn, and at $36/night, it's a bit worrisome! Is it really OK?

Zion Lodge was available only one night when I made our arrangements last week and we needed 3. Our next choices, Flannigans Inn and Desert Pearl, were also booked. We will be staying at Cliffrose. Has anyone stayed here? Any comments?

Our first two nights out there will be in a "Casbah" at the Hyatt Las Vegas. Having just seen America's Sweethearts this weekend, I'm *really* looking forward to that!

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 10:08 AM
Sue

OliveOyl,

Ruby's Inn was fine. It's basically a motel, so the rooms are nothing special. But it was clean. They have their own restaurant (we ordered a dish with chicken and vegetables wrapped in tin foil and roasted in the oven and it was actually pretty good). They have a gift shop, post office and even a grocery store right on the premises. It's very close to the park.
We paid $78 with the AAA rate for our "deluxe room." Cliffrose is right outside the entrance to Zion National Park. It looked ok from the outside. AAA gives it 3 diamonds (same as Flanigan's and Desert Pearl).

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Anthony

OliveOyl:
Went to visitthe Hyatt LakeLas Vegas over a Labor Day Vegas visit. Very nice place! I and other family members are planning a trip to Vegas again during Christmas, and I was able to get the Hyatt at a GREAT price for my parents. If you have a refundable reservation there, and would like a chance to book the hotel at a great rate, let me know here or you can email me.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 09:23 AM
Trisha

Hi SusieQ,
I'm planning a family trip out west next June.
Have made reservations for Wahweap Lodge. Would love to know any details you may have re: this hotel and it's facilities. We plan to rent a powerboat for a day.
Also, I thought Ruby's Inn would be a good choice us. Have not reserved as of yet. Will be at Bryce after a two night stay in Vegas. Was considering Ruby's Inn because it seems to have more amenities than lodges at Bryce. Ruby's also has guided horseback trails into Bryce that we are interested in. What's your opinion?

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 09:47 AM
OliveOyl

Sue, all we need is a shower and clean place to lay our heads so that's fine. We must have the off off-season rate!

Anthony, thanks anyway, but our deal is unbeatable. Free!

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 09:59 AM
Anthony

Olive Oil:
That's great! Otherwise, I would have suggested using Priceline: I along with others have gotten the Hyatt Lake Las Vegas for $54/nt. I know you'll have a nice,relaxing stay there!

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 03:37 AM
Wondering

TTT

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 04:28 AM
J T Kirk

To anyone who cares:
As mentioned, Ruby's Inn is merely a motel, but the rooms are clean. An alternative to eating at Ruby's, you might want to drive into nearby Panguitch, a small town about 20 miles west of Bryce. (It's a pretty drive, and if you do it at dusk, you'll see some wildlife.) There are 2 or 3 places to eat there (I can't remember their names.) Nothing fancy, but it's genuine home-cooking. There's also a couple of gift shops. Have fun.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 06:55 AM
Sue

Trisha,

As I mentioned, for the best views, try to get a room in building 8 facing the water. The facility has a "fancier" restaurant, the Rainbow Room, with great water views. There is a pizza place as well that was already closed when we were there. Also has a coffee shop open in the mornings. They offer several different boat tours - from one hour to all day. We took the 5 hour trip to Rainbow Bridge; enjoyed it. A dinner cruise on the lake is also offered, as well as rafting trip, stargazing trip. The Rainbow Room had decent food. In Page there were a couple of Italian restaurants; we ate at Bella Napoli and thought the food was good.
Don't know what Bryce Canyon Lodge offered in terms of activities, or what the rooms or cabins are like as we didn't stay there. But its proximity to the rim trail was great. Ruby's is like its own little city, with gift shop, post office, grocery store, restaurants, indoor pool and hot tub. We didn't take advantage of the activities they offered. We only wound up staying in Bryce one day, and because we weren't acclimated to the altitude, didn't hike down into the canyon. Definitely do that if you can. It looked incredible down there. Have fun. If you have additional time, don't miss Zion National Park, as well. It's beautiful there, with lots of great hiking trails, deer abounding and if you go I would definitely recommend staying at Zion Lodge. Have a great time.