Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Suggestions for spacious 4or 5 star hotel rooms for 2 girlfriends visiting NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/suggestions-for-spacious-4or-5-star-hotel-rooms-for-2-girlfriends-visiting-nyc-339015/)

flowergirl Jul 20th, 2003 01:34 PM

Suggestions for spacious 4or 5 star hotel rooms for 2 girlfriends visiting NYC

We're in our early 40's, both married, but leaving the husbands behind to have fun in the city:shopping,maybe a show, fun restaurants, museums, etc. I've stayed at the Peninsula and Essex House, both I loved because they were near Central Park ,BUT, the rooms were not very big and we need spacious rooms and a spacious bathroom! Rates can be $250-$500. Don't like convention hotels either. Good view would be nice. But looking for big room with 2 beds!
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've already read up on Fodor's hotels and reviews.

kapmap Jul 20th, 2003 01:38 PM

Would consider the Rhiga Royal if I were you -- all rooms are suites wit hthe smallest being 500 sq ft. I have not stayed there but their web site looks nice. I would do a search here and in tripadvisor.com to see what people say who have stayed there.

Anonymous Jul 20th, 2003 01:41 PM

Try the Wyndham Hotel, which is at 42 West 58, right behind the Park Plaza. It's not part of the Wyndham chain, it's an independent little quaint European-feeling place. Quaint as in they still had an elevator operator the last time I stayed there. Less than sparkling decor and no view, but HUGE suites and a fabulous location, a very good value for the $, IMHO.

KarenWol Jul 21st, 2003 03:28 AM

My SIL splurged one weekend on a big room at the Michelangelo Hotel (50th and 6th or 7th, I think--anyway, midtown). We had a huge room with two queen-size sleigh beds with down comforters, walk-in closet, big deep oval tub and separate shower, FOUR telephones, two TV's (a little one on the bathroom vanity and a big one in the room), and a Bose radio/CD player. Free cappucino/espresso breakfast in the lobby each morning. Great hotel, in your price range.

Nikki Jul 21st, 2003 06:10 AM

My friends and I have gone on similar weekends with similar requirements to yours and have enjoyed le Parker Meridien and the New York Palace the most. Rates may be less than your stated range, check the hotels' websites and Quikbook.com.

flopmeister Jul 21st, 2003 07:23 AM

in your price range in terms of size and location i'd go for parker meridian. i stayed there during, of all things, the bar exam and i think it's what helped me pass!

monpetit Jul 21st, 2003 07:27 AM

Try hotel Pierre on 5th.avenue: on the top but more near the 500 $ than the 280...

E Jul 21st, 2003 07:53 AM

I second the Michelangelo. No views, but very large rooms and bathrooms, nicely appointed, and personalized service, as it isn't a huge hotel. The Italian-style continental b'fast is a nice bonus.

lisettemac Jul 21st, 2003 07:53 AM

Either the Benjamin or the Kimberly is an all-suite hotel. It isn't the Peninsula, but was recently renovated, is very nice and has large one-bedroom suites. Conveniently located on the east side.

Andre Jul 21st, 2003 09:17 AM

Junior Suite at the Parker Meridien is in your range & a good option - room is nice and large but bathroom is quite small.

Hope this helps,
Andre

mclaurie Jul 21st, 2003 11:52 AM

You've gotten excellent advice so far. I think the idea of having a suite is a good one so you can each have some space. There are a number of all suite hotels in addition to those mentioned if you do a web search. The Lowell hotel is a small European style gem in the east 60's. All their rooms are suites I think.

The Library Hotel is another boutique hotel that's gotten good reviews. If you read the first review here

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._New_York.html

it talks about the "Modern Fiction" junior suite with a great view.

flowergirl Jul 21st, 2003 04:53 PM

Thanks to everyone for such helpful advice. I'll look into these. Seems the Michaelango has alot of good points. I'll check out the websites!
Thanks to all!