Suggestions for Restaurant in Boulder & Sports Bar in Denver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, my best friend and I are going to be in Colorado next weekend for a very short getaway. We have one meal in Boulder after RMNP, and would love some suggestions for dinner. It's an outdoorsy trip, so we're not looking for anything foodie or ultra fancy for this meal. I'll be coming from LA and my friend from Houston, so we have most cuisines available to us, so I'm thinking American or casual cafe/bistro. I also love veggie places, but that would only work if they have meat entrees for my friend as well lol. Entrees under $20 probably works well, though that's not a hard budget. Just no $300 meals like we sometimes splurge on.

Also, at the end of the trip we'll be in Denver the night of the first Broncos game (Sunday Night Football!) I'm sure all the downtown bars will be lively (and fill quickly), what with the season starting and Peyton Manning now the QB, etc, but we'd love ideas if there's a good place to head to watch the game.

Appreciate any help you can offer! Thanks!
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:51 AM

How about the Chautauqua Dining Hall for dinner in Boulder--http://chautauqua.com/dining_overview.html
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:01 AM

We took a quick weekend trip to Boulder a couple of years ago, in my travel log I made notes on two places I would recommend:

Dinner was early at the Black Cat - a chef owned restaurant that really impressed us. The food was terrific (Scottish salmon with quinoa for me). They were great with the kids - no kids menu but they helped us pull together plates they both liked with great flexibility in the kitchen. My DD tried Gnocchi for the first time and loved it. Desserts were awesome (pot de creme was a big pleaser).

We had an excellent brewpub lunch at Walnut Brewery (yummy ballpark style pretzels, Kobe cheeseburger, and Walnut Brewery stout). Wonderful place - highly recommend. It was also the recommendation of the hotel staff.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:08 AM

Dinner at the Black Cat starts at $30.
Walnut Brewery is usually fun and very casual.
Peyton Manning's addition won't make a difference in crowds: Broncos have been sold out forever.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:32 AM

For Boulder, try Next Door:

http://thekitchencommunity.com/nextdoor-boulder/

We were there last month, and ate at both The Kitchen (more formal) and Next Door. Both were fabulous - especially if you love veggies.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:39 AM

The Med in Boulder, off the Pearl Street mall.

In Denver, the Chophouse downtown or Chopper in Cherry Creek North.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:01 AM

How about some of the breweries around Coors Field--or LoDo?
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions so far, everyone! I'm looking forward to looking them all up when I have more time later today.

sylvia3, I realize games and a new NFL season always draw sellout crowds. Denver fans are passionate and knowledgeable, which I love. I just meant that with PM now there, the excitement has probably only increased. Attendance numbers at training camp sure do seem to bear that out! Broncos are my 2nd favorite team (go Giants!), so I'm looking forward to cheering on the team in such a fun atmosphere!

I'm still working on a contact of mine to try and get tickets to the actual game. It's a longshot, but keeping my fingers crossed!
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Hez

If you like pizza Boulder has the best pizza place this side of Italy - http://pizzerialocale.com/ - the Funghi (mushroom, garlic, white sauce) is truly divine and the Mais (corn, proscuitto with white sauce) my Australian nephew declared the best pizza ever, by far (that was after he finished eating - there was no interrupting him mid pizza!).

If you can score a couple of seats outside you can soak up the wonderful world of Boulder.